Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

scarletneedle

Hi guys,

I have recently buy a Helix LT, It sounds great so far and I love it, I have used Line 6 since more than 10 years ago, my first pedal board was the XT Live and then I got the HD500X, those were great as well, I had no problem with them but it seems like the helix is a little bit more complicated in terms of software, my LT has the 2.71 firmware, I download the editor and the latest driver I could find here, I installed everything with the Helix unplugged, I can see the helix as part of my external devices but when I try to use the editor I'm getting a message saying "no device connected", happened the same thing with the Line 6 updater, the screen is all black as if no device was connected.

Am I missing something?, Do I need to do or install something else?.

Thanks in advance.

45762728_507688616395182_4971623454861164544_n.jpg

45798298_2335382986490308_6515238381830537216_n.jpg

45803851_278035549579590_3928406959866249216_n.jpg

Sometimes I have to open and close HX Edit a couple of times before it "sees" the Helix.

If you play audio from the computer, does the sound come through the Helix?

Are you connected directly to the computer's USB (correct way), or to a hub (BAD)? 

Could also be a bad cable.

I ran into this when I tried to connect Helix to my Windows 10 machine, screwed with it forever and it would not talk. For now I’ve just gone back to using my iMac which works fine, but it is frustrating as I want to dedicate the Windows machine to music stuff and this is a wrench in the works....

No problems with multiple Win10 machines and, surprisingly, the latest update (1809...latest 12/18) actually seems to have FIXED the problem of having to open/close HX Edit multiple times. Who woulda' thought that a Microsoft update would actually FIX something (without breaking something else.....so far so good....)?

• Haha 1

Are you still getting this problem?  I know you mentioned that you already downloaded drivers, but when I had the HX Stomp this happened to me and I realized I hadn't downloaded the specific required Windows driver.

I believe for the Helix it's this one:

Version 1.91
Released 9/13/18

If that doesn't work, you could try using earlier versions of the driver, or you could try running HX Edit in compatibility with earlier versions of Windows.

I have this problem with Windows 10 every once and awhile.  What I do is this:

To scan for hardware changes, follow these steps:
    Click Start, and then click Run. ... 
    Type devmgmt.msc, and then click OK. ..

That should "reset" the usb so Helix will connect

On 1/3/2019 at 11:02 AM, rd2rk said:

Sometimes I have to open and close HX Edit a couple of times before it "sees" the Helix.

If you play audio from the computer, does the sound come through the Helix?

Are you connected directly to the computer's USB (correct way), or to a hub (BAD)? 

Could also be a bad cable.

Yes, I am using the USB cable, I tried to do the open/close with the editor but still didn't work,  haven't tried to use another cable but the reason why I disregard that option is because the helix is being connected to my pc.

On 1/4/2019 at 12:47 PM, peterhome said:

I have this problem with Windows 10 every once and awhile.  What I do is this:

To scan for hardware changes, follow these steps:
    Click Start, and then click Run. ... 
    Type devmgmt.msc, and then click OK. ..

That should "reset" the usb so Helix will connect

Have tried but had no luck :(

On 1/3/2019 at 4:58 PM, Kilrahi said:

Are you still getting this problem?  I know you mentioned that you already downloaded drivers, but when I had the HX Stomp this happened to me and I realized I hadn't downloaded the specific required Windows driver.

I believe for the Helix it's this one:

Version 1.91
Released 9/13/18

If that doesn't work, you could try using earlier versions of the driver, or you could try running HX Edit in compatibility with earlier versions of Windows.

Yes, still not able to make the editor and the helix to talk to each other, I download that version of the driver and it is the one I'm using, I can see a ton of drivers, what would you suggest for an "earlier" driver?, thank you 

6 minutes ago, scarletneedle said:

the reason why I disregard that option is because the helix is being connected to my pc.

I meant the USB cable. They do go bad, and I've heard others say (not often) that the one that came with the Helix was bad out of the box.

• 4 months later...
15 hours ago, Dickmunster said:

I'm also having a problem with connecting my Helix to HX editor, I've tried two different USB-cables, using the latest version of HX editor, using a Macbook pro, no success. any ideas someone, anyone?...

Hi,

Please check that you really are using the latest version of HX Edit. The reason I mention that is because you are using a Mac, it could be an old “alias” of HX Edit is accidentally loading and screwing up the connection. Quite a few other users have been caught out with this previously and it’s really annoying when you don’t realise what has happened.

Other than that - don’t use a hub for the USB connection, in fact it maybe better if Helix is the only thing on the USB until you establish a link with HX Edit. Once you know it works, then you can hook up your other stuff.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Hola..! Mi helix lt funcionaba sin problemas con mi pc Windows 10 por usb y salia con los auri desde la pedalera. De un dia para el otro no la reconocio mas, cambie el usb por el de la impresora y tampoco pero el mio si anda en la impresora. Desinstale los drivers y los volvi a instalar,. No me aparece en dispositivos de la pc. tambien  probe con el master reset y nada solo me borro lo q tenia. Alguno tuvo problema con el usb de la pedalera? 

12 hours ago, Guardilla said:

Hola..! Mi helix lt funcionaba sin problemas con mi pc Windows 10 por usb y salia con los auri desde la pedalera. De un dia para el otro no la reconocio mas, cambie el usb por el de la impresora y tampoco pero el mio si anda en la impresora. Desinstale los drivers y los volvi a instalar,. No me aparece en dispositivos de la pc. tambien  probe con el master reset y nada solo me borro lo q tenia. Alguno tuvo problema con el usb de la pedalera? 

¿Alguien tuvo un problema con el usb de pedalera?

Por lo general, el problema es causado por un cable defectuoso o por intentar conectarse a través de un concentrador USB. Las conexiones frontales en una PC son como un hub, intente usar los puertos en la parte posterior de la máquina.

Espero que esto ayude.

• 11 months later...

This is also happening with Pod Go. It seems to be a Line6 USB driver issue with certain Windows 10 versions.  I am experiencing it with Pod Go driver 1.0.0.7

dated 12/1/2020,   and pod go edit 1.21, but the same exact issue reproduces for other people using Helix and Helix's software.

Windows 10 version 1909, build 18363.1440.

1 hour ago, wpostma said:

This is also happening with Pod Go. It seems to be a Line6 USB driver issue with certain Windows 10 versions.  I am experiencing it with Pod Go driver 1.0.0.7

dated 12/1/2020,   and pod go edit 1.21, but the same exact issue reproduces for other people using Helix and Helix's software.

If you read the whole thread, you'll see that there's many possible causes. Windows version is not one of them.

I can't speak for PodGo, but I have Helix Floor and HX Stomp, on two very different laptops, both of which always have the latest available Windows version.

I've never experienced this problem with any Windows version or any Helix version on either device. I've had the Floor since 9/2016 and the HXS since 7/2019.

That's lots of versions.

The only problem I've ever had was using too long a USB cable - 10' + 15' extension. 10+10 works fine.

You can waste your time blaming Microsoft, but that's all you'll accomplish. Look closer to home.

12 hours ago, wpostma said:

Try removing the cable from your POD Go and your computer, then reconnect both the computer and POD. This solution was recommended by Igor Stolarsky, a member of Line 6 Staff, and moderator on the huge Helix Family  Facebook group.

It is also mentioned elsewhere in this thread.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• 9 months later...

I know it will not solve your problem, but for the next ones searching, i had this issue because i interrupted the installation of PodGo Edit, believing i launched it 2 times by mistake.

In fact,  the installer starts 3 times to install differents things, just validate all times in the default directory.

• 1 year later...

I have helix since 2017, working absolutely fine working on windows 10 Desktop i7, 16GB ram, no issues on firmware updates, drivers and so on.

Yesterday I received my new XPS Desktop with Windows 11, i7 36GB ram and more specs.

Now HX edit shows no device connected!  I can hear sound through my monitor via XLR but I CAN'T do any edit.

I have tried on my windows 11 laptop which worked fine, so I presume the issue has nothing to do with windows 11 or HX edit 3.52. Something in the system seems to be blocking

I tried everything but HX EDIT still shows "NO DEVICE CONNECTED"

Anybody please help!

Old thread but still relevant today because many people continue to have this issue.  I struggled intermittently with this problem for more than two years and this is what I learned:

Ensure your version of HX-Edit is compatible with your firmware version.

Close all applications on the computer that are not necessary for running HX-Edit.

If you don't know how to close apps you may not realise are running without your knowledge, click the Apple logo on a Mac (upper left) and select Force Quit or invoke the Task Manager on a PC.

Do not attempt to multi-task, ie: don't start browsing the web or working on a document while connecting your device.

HX-Edit prefers to have the whole computer to itself.

Eliminate any USB hubs from the connection chain that might normally be in use and only connect your device directly to the computer.

Use the shortest USB cable possible, 1 metre (3 ft) or less is preferable.

Ensure the device is fully powered and booted up before connecting the USB cable.

Lastly, open HX-Edit.

Connection should be automatic.

Once I started using this sequence I stopped having problems connecting Helix to the computer and have not had a problem since.

• Upvote 1

On 3/24/2023 at 12:27 AM, MGW-Alberta said:

Old thread but still relevant today because many people continue to have this issue.  I struggled intermittently with this problem for more than two years and this is what I learned:

Ensure your version of HX-Edit is compatible with your firmware version.

Close all applications on the computer that are not necessary for running HX-Edit.

If you don't know how to close apps you may not realise are running without your knowledge, click the Apple logo on a Mac (upper left) and select Force Quit or invoke the Task Manager on a PC.

Do not attempt to multi-task, ie: don't start browsing the web or working on a document while connecting your device.

HX-Edit prefers to have the whole computer to itself.

Eliminate any USB hubs from the connection chain that might normally be in use and only connect your device directly to the computer.

Use the shortest USB cable possible, 1 metre (3 ft) or less is preferable.

Ensure the device is fully powered and booted up before connecting the USB cable.

Lastly, open HX-Edit.

Connection should be automatic.

Once I started using this sequence I stopped having problems connecting Helix to the computer and have not had a problem since.

And yet, my system and startup sequence violates all of the above.

I have two hubs and over a dozen USB devices connected. Some devices have 10' USB Cable extensions (Amazon Basics!).

The only real rule I follow is to not have Helix (or anything that requires FW updates) connected to a hub when updating.

And using a Power Scheme that ensures nothing ever enters "Sleep Mode", especially the USB ports/hubs.

I also use HW Hum Eliminators at various points in the system to eliminate USB Ground loops.

All my power for everything comes from one electrical circuit with a quality AVR UPS.

I'm constantly changing my studio configuration.
From time to time Windows scrambles it's USB Port assignments.

The only cure I've found for that is to delete everything USB and reboot.

I rarely turn off the system, only when I'm out of town or during a severe storm when the power is up and down.

When I come home or the storm is over I power up the computer first and anything with a speaker last.

With Windows, every system is different, and the current spate of Windows 11 problems have to do with new security features.

I'll stay on Windows 10 until the demands of my system mandate that I upgrade the HW!

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2023 at 11:29 AM, gibingeorge5 said:

I have helix since 2017, working absolutely fine working on windows 10 Desktop i7, 16GB ram, no issues on firmware updates, drivers and so on.

Yesterday I received my new XPS Desktop with Windows 11, i7 36GB ram and more specs.

Now HX edit shows no device connected!  I can hear sound through my monitor via XLR but I CAN'T do any edit.

I have tried on my windows 11 laptop which worked fine, so I presume the issue has nothing to do with windows 11 or HX edit 3.52. Something in the system seems to be blocking

I tried everything but HX EDIT still shows "NO DEVICE CONNECTED"

Anybody please help!

FINALLY FOUND IT !

Go to device manager on Windows 11 -> drop down Universal Serial Bus Controllers -> right click on each one of USB's and uninstall drivers.

Restart the computer with the Helix powered on and connected.

HX edit will work & good to go!

*Keyboards or mouse might not work after uninstalling drivers. either hold the power button to turn off or power off from the plug

Thanks guys for your response..