Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Running 2 instruments through HX Effects

ChrisClaytonLoop

Hello everyone, 

Long time listener, first time caller.

I have not pulled the trigger yet on the HX Effects,  but I'm sure I'd be happy with the purchase regardless of whether or not there is an answer to my question.

I have been looking around at forums, videos, reading the manual. But I haven't quite figured out the answer yet. And I dont have the unit in front of me to play around with either.

My question: 

If I want to run 2 instruments into the HX Effects, and have one effect work on both lines, but then each signal have it's own effect chains, is this possible?

I am sure this doesn't make as much sense as it does in my head. My current pedalboard I plug 2 signals in. They both have their own pedals they run through, but at one point in their chain they both run through my DL4. Left in/out is one signal, Right in/out is the other signal. Because I want both instruments to use the same delay, but dont want the second signal to run through distortion and other effects like that.

I'm not sure if I could run both signals in the right and left, and be able to do all of this in signal flow. Or if there's another way.

I'm curious if I can do all of that within the HX Effects. That would be able to replace most of my pedals and would help slim my board down even more.

My HX Effects is stored at the moment, but HX Stomp may be similar. HX Stomp has a L/R input, like HX Effects. In order to get two separate inputs, you use a split block first in the signal chain, and set the L and R levels hard left and right so the signal is split between the two paths.

• Like 1

I've seen posts about using 2 separate signals. And without playing around with I know it will take me a bit to figure out how to run the 2 separate signals.

But if I want both signals to run through the same delay, am I able to have both signals run through the same delay block and then stay separate? 

4 hours ago, ChrisClaytonLoop said:

If I want to run 2 instruments into the HX Effects, and have one effect work on both lines, but then each signal have it's own effect chains, is this possible?

This is still open ended....

If you want a separate "in > path > out" for each instrument, then NO, this is not possible. As soon as you share an effect the instruments will blend. 

If you are sharing the output, then YES, this is possible. Setup the input as outlined by @amsdenj above, give each instrument their own effects on their own path, then merge the two paths BEFORE any shared effects such as delay or reverb. 

Okay. I understand that. I want to keep the outputs separate on each line. 

What if I set up a delay block on both signal flows, parameters identical, am I able to assign both delay blocks from both L and R to the same footswitch. So when I turn it on, both signals have delay turned on simultaneously? 

1 hour ago, ChrisClaytonLoop said:

What if I set up a delay block on both signal flows, parameters identical, am I able to assign both delay blocks from both L and R to the same footswitch. So when I turn it on, both signals have delay turned on simultaneously? 

This shouldn't be too hard. You can assign multiple effects to the same footswitch, so you would basically assign the two delays to the one footswitch.  You could either have them both turn on and off at the same time, or one turn on while the other turns off, etc.

• Like 1

Thanks for clarifying... 

As already mentioned directly above by @Kilrahi, your solution is certainly possible. The only downside is that you need to use two blocks instead of one to accomplish the same job. 

Ok good to know. 

Thanks for confirming everything for me.

If I have these 2 signal chains, do I get 9 blocks for each of them? So split L and R, does each side get 9?

One line only would use a couple effects anyway,  EQ and the delay. Will those take away from the other side?

So if I need 2 blocks for A, then that leaves only 7 for B?

And if I used a stereo delay, I can't keep the A and B outputs separate?

Yes . . .  you have to think of the 9 blocks as an aggregate.  If you have three for one, then you can have six for another. Eight for one, one for the other.

You can use a stereo delay and keep the outputs separate AS LONG AS THE STEREO DELAY IS ONLY ON ONE OUTPUT (A or B). The moment you have path A and B combine into a stereo delay then they are forever mixed. So, if you wanted both path A and B to use a delay that was stereo, then you're stuck using TWO blocks, one stereo delay for path A, and one stereo delay for path B.

Ok. Thanks. Thanks a bunch guys. 

Ordered this Pandora's box today, so I'll be better her all setup soon, and will let you guys know how it goes. Going to have to get all these things sorted before I can drop it on to the pedalboard and pull off what it's replacing. 

2 minutes ago, ChrisClaytonLoop said:

Ok. Thanks. Thanks a bunch guys. 

Ordered this Pandora's box today, so I'll be better her all setup soon, and will let you guys know how it goes. Going to have to get all these things sorted before I can drop it on to the pedalboard and pull off what it's replacing. 

If you have time, I'm just curious what you're replacing. I always like to hear about people's gear.

I really think you'll be happy with the HX Effects. It's the best assortment of options at the most affordable price that I think exists out there. If this is your first L6 modeler, as a tip, I've found you have to commit yourself to at least a few good hours figuring out how it all works, and even then you stay at it reviewing what you know because you'll get new discoveries every so often, better ways to do things, etc. There are just SO many variables to tweak, and routing options, etc. that it's very mind boggling at first.

You'll have to let us know what you think of it.

IMG_20181216_135219.thumb.jpg.124cc82573b488cd7328c4aed09fce7e.jpg

So the HX is obviously replacing the M9 in the upper left.

The 2 green expression pedals in the upper right will go as well.

And the EQ pedal will also go.

But I know I can replace the flanger as well, I'll just have to set up the delay pedal next to it in an FX loop.

I have two lines coming out of my acoustic, the normal preamp line, and then a percussion line which currently runs through the EQ and then mixes in. The guitar line runs through everything else then mixes in.

My old board setup also had a DL4, which both went through that, so the percussion used the same delay because the lines ran stereo.  And I want that again. 

• Thanks 1

Do you see the branching point on the lower left?  The part where it splits into two signal chains?  You should be able to select that itself and pan the L to 100 and the R to 100.  This means all of the right input is going to the right path, and all of the left input is going to the left, which splits the instrument paths.

3 hours ago, ChrisClaytonLoop said:

Oh ok. That makes it so much easier. And if I want the outputs to be the same way, then do that to the far right of the flow?

Good question. There should be a way to highlight the far right branch and change it from a Y to a complete break with different outputs. If you want same outputs leave on the Y (merge) setting.

3 hours ago, ChrisClaytonLoop said:

And if I want the outputs to be the same way, then do that to the far right of the flow?

Yes... the one at the right is the MERGE, then one on the left is the SPLIT. 

Keep in mind... you can move those just as you can move blocks... so you can move the merge inward which will allow "common effects" after it - if you choose. 

The nice thing about the SPLIT and MERGE is that they don't consume any blocks :) 

This thing is really awesome 

Snapchat-473604912.thumb.jpg.41c579b5d22a7f7ea23a5a4a9bdc550a.jpg

Im barely able to grasp the possibilities yet. But I appreciate you guys being so quick and helpful. I figured out the SPLIT and MERGE, Left stats left, and Right stays right. The delay that I want to use with both, I just copy and paste it from A to B. I also set up an EQ for the percussion signal, which is even more helpful than the EQ I have on the board now.

I'm still setting up everything I need, trying copy over all the scenes from my M9.

I'm thankful for the Copy and Paste feature, makes starting off each new scene easier.

And that I can set up an Expression toggle to any of the footswitches, which eliminates the need for Exp switch pedals I have plugged into the M9.

Once I'm done with getting these scenes set up, and I get a long enough break between gigs so I can tear the board apart, then I can work on rerouting everything and moving some pedals around to get this bad boy on.