Jump to content
DanjaBellza

HX stomp/HX effects

Recommended Posts

I’ve been using the HX effects for about a year now, and I just ordered the HX stomp, for running them together, is midi going to be my best bet? Or just patch cable straight in? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have either yet, but I would use the fx send from the Stomp into the HX FX, and the send from the FX back into the return of the stomp. Then use USB (or midi) for controlling them via any editing software.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, DanjaBellza said:

I’ve been using the HX effects for about a year now, and I just ordered the HX stomp, for running them together, is midi going to be my best bet? Or just patch cable straight in? 

 

First post.... WELCOME! 

 

Midi is only used for "control" not audio - so you need a bit of both to get the most out of it. 

 

I wouldn't waste any blocks for "loops" on either device to connect them to each other... 

 

I would just run my guitar into the HX Effects and set it up like I would a pedal board. The output of the Effects would go to the INPUT on the Stomp where I would setup my Amp/Cab/IR and Post Effects. I would also use the Effects as a master device since it has more immediate controls... and run midi out to midi in on the stomp. I'd coordinate the patch changes so the Stomp follows the Effects and would customize any other controls I want.

 

This is strictly my opinion and my approach... what works for me won't always work for you :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, codamedia said:

 

First post.... WELCOME! 

 

Midi is only used for "control" not audio - so you need a bit of both to get the most out of it. 

 

I wouldn't waste any blocks for "loops" on either device to connect them to each other... 

 

I would just run my guitar into the HX Effects and set it up like I would a pedal board. The output of the Effects would go to the INPUT on the Stomp where I would setup my Amp/Cab/IR and Post Effects. I would also use the Effects as a master device since it has more immediate controls... and run midi out to midi in on the stomp. I'd coordinate the patch changes so the Stomp follows the Effects and would customize any other controls I want.

 

This is strictly my opinion and my approach... what works for me won't always work for you :) 

Fantastic! Thank you. Having never used midi I couldn’t quite articulate the question, but this is exactly what I was thinking about. So, I wouldn’t need a midi return from the Stomp to the Effects? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe its just my mind playing tricks from me, but whenever I use digital devices in "series" (A/D converter --> D/A converter --> A/D converter --> D/A converter, etc) things start to sound more brittle and harsh. Yeah, there are some who have done experiments that show otherwise, but still...

 

That said, I'm thinking using the HX Stomp first (mainly for mono amp/cab/IR modeling), routed mono out directly into the HX FX for stereo effects (or mono if going into a mono channel or PA) would be your best bet.

 

And ditto on the MIDI .... MIDI thru or out from the Stomp into the FX.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, soundog said:

Maybe its just my mind playing tricks from me, but whenever I use digital devices in "series" (A/D converter --> D/A converter --> A/D converter --> D/A converter, etc) things start to sound more brittle and harsh. Yeah, there are some who have done experiments that show otherwise, but still...

 

Old 8 bit converters would be bad for this (sort of like recording tape from tape)....but not the quality of converters in something like the HX series. I used to run an HX Effects and an HD500 chained up... no issues at all. 

 

1 hour ago, soundog said:

That said, I'm thinking using the HX Stomp first (mainly for mono amp/cab/IR modeling), routed mono out directly into the HX FX for stereo effects (or mono if going into a mono channel or PA) would be your best bet.

 

I don't think either unit holds a benefit with inputs or outputs... at least in a live situation. Therefore whether the chicken or the egg is first won't really matter. The number of BLOCKS available PRE vs POST does matter. 

 

NOT USING LOOPS... these are your options....

Effects into Stomp: 9 PRE effects > Amp Model > potential of 5 additional pre or post effects depending on amp position, and/or IR cabinet requirement.

Stomp into Effects: Max 5 PRE Effects > Amp Model > 9 POST effects

 

It's up to each user to decide which of these directions is better for them.

 

1 hour ago, soundog said:

And ditto on the MIDI .... MIDI thru or out from the Stomp into the FX.

 

Really? I think the opposite is much more optimized. Normally you would want the better controller (in this case, the Effects with all it's switches) to send to the other device so you can control it. 

 

FYI: Sorry, I'm not trying to argue.. these are all just opinions and different points of view! 

 

1 hour ago, DanjaBellza said:

So, I wouldn’t need a midi return from the Stomp to the Effects? 

 

You could run both directions... but you would have to be careful to turn off "THRU" on both devices, and mapping could get a little confusing. BUT - for the power user, yeah - why not! If it were me, I'd just run from the EFFECTS to the STOMP and call it a day. 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I set up 2 amps in the HX stomp, and assigned each to an output, could I then use a y cable or some kind of aby/splitter to put 1 amp into two inputs on the FX and the other amp into a third input, then make a makeshift faux wet-dry-wet type setup? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, DanjaBellza said:

If I set up 2 amps in the HX stomp, and assigned each to an output, could I then use a y cable or some kind of aby/splitter to put 1 amp into two inputs on the FX and the other amp into a third input, then make a makeshift faux wet-dry-wet type setup? 

 

Yes, you can create a wet/dry/wet setup. For realsies though, not faux.

 

I'm confused on the Y cable though. The stomp has a total of three 1/4 line outs and the HX effects has a total of four line ins so there's no need for a special Y or aby/splitter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Kilrahi said:

 

Yes, you can create a wet/dry/wet setup. For realsies though, not faux.

 

I'm confused on the Y cable though. The stomp has a total of three 1/4 line outs and the HX effects has a total of four line ins so there's no need for a special Y or aby/splitter.

How many amps can I run simultaneously in stomp? I thought only 2. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, DanjaBellza said:

How many amps can I run simultaneously in stomp? I thought only 2. 

 

Hmmm . . . maybe you are in to far more complex wet/dry/wet setups than I am. My understanding of a wet/dry/wet is a three channel system where the main channel is the dry consisting of only the guitar and amp, and then a stereo channel of effects (delay, reverb, chorus, etc.).

 

To do a setup like that you only need two wet channels and one dry, which the stomp and HX effects can do. You're top channel would be guitar and amp, bottom channel effects, and you would run the bottom channel in stereo. Both the Stomp and HX effects can split that naturally without the need of a splitter. They would then feed into the stereo speakers.

 

I suppose technically the Stomp is harder to do that with because it's effects loop has a blended send, so if you wanted to use that for the wet channel you would need a TRS to Y TS 1/4 cable.

 

However, you don't have to do it that way.  You could have channel A be the wet effects only in stereo, and send them out the Stomp's main output into the HX effects inputs then have the B channel on the Stomp be the guitar/amp/dry signal going straight into its speaker output.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...