Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Triggering with POD 500 pedal

KevinOtto

Thanks, so I assume I will be able to start and stop my backing tracks w/ my POD 500 using the midi connection & Abelton. Q: Would I also be able to skip over to different tracks? Since the tracks represent different songs, would I also be able to jump over, (forward or backward) to different tracks (songs) picking and choosing which tunes I want to play along with? 

There is a reason not everyone does this. It takes a lot of knowledge to understand all this and one thread in a forum is not going to be enough for you to jump right in and be show ready. You'll have to choose the software (I am only recommending Live) and once you choose you'll have to read what MIDI commands the software responds to. In the case of Live, you have to understand how to map the MIDI commands you are sending from the Pod to Live's functions. (You'll also have to fully understand how to be in complete control of the MIDI commands the Pod sends out from the foot switches.)

In the case of Live, you 'map' a MIDI command to something in the software. You'll need a footswitch that can go to the 'Next Track' and one for 'Prev Track' and one for 'Play'. Stop you'll rarely do unless you mess something up in the physical world at the start of a track.

You first have to decide:

1. Does the software do what I am asking it to do? (your questions above)

2. Is there a way to get MIDI to tell it to do that? (reading the sending devices MIDI implementation and the receiving software's MIDI implementation)

I've also worked with some shows in Vegas that use Logic but everything is in one long continuous track with start and stop cue points. You cannot in that case skip around from song to song on a whim. Live will let you do that but you won't have enough footswitches except to go Next and Previous in Live's session view.

Ableton Live MIDI Implementation

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000038859-Creating-MIDI-Mappings

Thanks to all for the info. I am looking at a pedal that will be able to rev/stop/start/forward, pretty much the configure that any tape or cd player would have. The esteemed gentlemen from storm studios brought up some very valid points and it seems that trying to force the POD 500 foot controller to do all maybe a bit of square peg round hole deal. I will look at OnSong and a handful of others apps as well. I was trying to eliminate some extra floor space real estate by keeping w/ POD but a smooth show trumps all. Others have mentioned to look for foot controller that comes w/ simple software since I already have backing tracks created w/ home 24 track. Keep any ideas rolling, I'm never too proud and thanks again.  KO

I too am a solo artist that uses backing tracks. I use My Lyric Book app and put all my lyrics on this app on my IPad. You can download all your backing tracks onto your IPad and the first time you bring up a page of lyrics you hit the music icon on the bottom of the page and it will bring up all your backing tracks, select the BT you want and it will play. You only have to do this once and then it will automatically play when you hit the music icon anytime after that. Very cool. Hope this helps.  If you send me your email address I can send u a short vid on how I have it set up. The vid is too big for here, I tried. My email is lorne.kingdon@gmail.com