Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Replacing USB input on Stomp

cruelshoes

Very recent convert to the Helix world and purchased a Stomp back in October. Only hooked it up a couple times to my laptop using the USB a couple months ago. I go to hook it up today and notice two of the metal prongs in the USB input are bent/broken. I have no idea how this happened as I’m careful with the connections. So I need to replace the USb input. Anyone know if this is an easy job or needs to go to a service center? Also would this fall under the warranty? 

If they broke through normal use, it should be covered under the warranty. If it was done through negligence, then no.

That's a pretty vague boundary, but it kind of comes down to how you, the user, feel about what you did with it. Based on the fact that you feel like you kept it pretty safe I would try the warranty route before I attempt any self repairs, because typically a self repair automatically voids the warranty.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My HX Stomp got stomped on at rehearsal the other night and the top encoder knob shaft got bent. This caused the encoder to turn hard. I just bent it back with no problem, at least so far.

It appears that these encoders are well attached to the chassis and can stand to be stepped on and bent a few times. I don't recommend it of course, but was happy that HX Stomp could withstand this potentially common issue.

• 8 months later...
6 hours ago, MatthewMayhem said:

Is this a part we can replace ourselves? 

I replaced the port on my Helix floor and no it's not an easy job even if you're good with a soldering iron.

I thoroughly recommend using a right angle plug on the Helix, it takes all the possible leverage out of the equation.

Craig  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, CraigGT said:

it's not an easy job even if you're good with a soldering iron.

That's likely. :)

And no, I haven't opened my Stomp yet, as it's still under warranty for the next 33 (!) months, according to my local music store.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

My center piece broke as well. It was just over year, by a day if you can believe it. I was gonna crazy glue the piece back in but luckily they honored the warranty. Had to ship it out and they got it back to me in a a few weeks. Now I'm ultra careful. 

Although I will say, the ground hum when using HX Edit is worse now than when I had used it before.

2 hours ago, gerryCol said:

My center piece broke as well. It was just over year, by a day if you can believe it. I was gonna crazy glue the piece back in but luckily they honored the warranty. Had to ship it out and they got it back to me in a a few weeks. Now I'm ultra careful. 

Although I will say, the ground hum when using HX Edit is worse now than when I had used it before.

many thanks for your answer Gerrycol

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2021 at 4:41 AM, millerstomp said:

The same problem here - I'm afraid that the guarantee unfortunately has expired 3 months ago... - that is extremely annoying

Did you get it repaired? The center part on mine came out while I took the usb cord out today. I'm also out of warrranty so wondering what it would cost to fix

8 hours ago, lgbbq said:

Did you get it repaired? The center part on mine came out while I took the usb cord out today. I'm also out of warrranty so wondering what it would cost to fix

Hello , in fact I decided not to repair it because I put the little piece of plastic in place and I could connect the USB. Now my cable is always in place and I will try again this with special câble founded in Amazon

Sincerely 

CERRXIAN Câble combiné USB2.0 B de 9 Pouces USB2.0 B Câble de synchronisation de données Femelle à Angle Gauche et Angle Droit vers USB 2.0 B Femelle (1 Paire)

On 4/10/2021 at 2:42 PM, Crazyphil78 said:

Hello , in fact I decided not to repair it because I put the little piece of plastic in place and I could connect the USB. Now my cable is always in place and I will try again this with special câble founded in Amazon

Sincerely 

CERRXIAN Câble combiné USB2.0 B de 9 Pouces USB2.0 B Câble de synchronisation de données Femelle à Angle Gauche et Angle Droit vers USB 2.0 B Femelle (1 Paire)

9FEC039D-AD11-4D8B-B29D-1A011CCFACB0.jpeg

After having cut the protection plastic of the usb  I can connect the cable to the Stomp and send the cable under the alim jack. This way I always let this 20 cm cable on the stomp on my pedalboard. And when I need to connect it to my Mac I just connect a cable to this adapter. I will post a photo of the pedalboard. I will do the same thing for the usb if my HX Effects. 

Hello,

yes I replaced the USB port on my HX Stomp. It wasn't to much difficult, but of course it depends on your skills.

Here are some pictures of the inside of HX-Stomp, the new USB Port was already added. 

A pity, I didn't take pictures while repairing.

Greetings, Pino

Datei_001.jpeg

Datei_002.jpeg

Datei_006.jpeg

Datei_011.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Hi Pino, can you share where you got the usb port from/specific model?

One of the little pins on my hx stomp was squashed into the port a couple weeks back. I'm assuming it was me putting the cable in as i dont know how else this would happen. I've straightened them out and it will work provided i dont press any buttons, slightest move and it disconnects from the pc.

I'm assuming the below pic is the tabs which need to be soldered for removal/reinstall and all the input jacks need to be removed along with the knobs on the top of the unit?

hx-usb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hi guys, my HX just stopped being recognized over usb, I've tried on MacOS and on Windows already. Reinstalled all the drivers but it changed nothing... the port still has the plastic piece and it seems physically fine. Do you think replacing the USB port would be worth it?

PS: I've also tried with 3 different cables...

• 1 year later...

My USB plug failed and the block inside fell out on my Helix Floor about 8 months ago so I switched to my Stomp. Well, that one has now failed and the block is missing. These units were never kept on the floor when plugged in to my computer. They were always ion a stand where I could reach them easily to make adjustments as needed. The USB port failures are definitely a manufacturing issue. I've delt with many of this type of port for years and these are the only units that I have experienced this on. If yours hasn't failed you yet, it will. I'm ready to just ditch Line 6 products altogether. Too many issues. Going to move on to the Strymon Iridium for amp simulation.

On 11/25/2022 at 9:26 AM, jwsimon3 said:

My USB plug failed and the block inside fell out on my Helix Floor about 8 months ago so I switched to my Stomp. Well, that one has now failed and the block is missing. These units were never kept on the floor when plugged in to my computer. They were always ion a stand where I could reach them easily to make adjustments as needed. The USB port failures are definitely a manufacturing issue. I've delt with many of this type of port for years and these are the only units that I have experienced this on. If yours hasn't failed you yet, it will. I'm ready to just ditch Line 6 products altogether. Too many issues. Going to move on to the Strymon Iridium for amp simulation.

I have owned Line 6 products going back to the POD 2.0, and have all the main floorboards. I have the Helix, Helix Rack, Stomp, Stomp XL, and HX Effects, and I’ve never had a USB port fail. I’ve definitely seen threads about it, but there are ton of these units on the market. I don’t think it’s all that common. I’d recommend opening up a support ticket, and Line 6 should take care of it for you.

To me it's too much of a coincidence that both of my Helix products had the same defect. I take good care of my equipment, it's too much money to waste by not being careful. Would be nice to see Line 6 take care of this problem. But, both are out of warranty. So I have a $1500 board and $650 Stomp that I can no longer update and or connect to my computer These issues and countless times I've had to send my Relay G10 and G10s in to get repaired is astonishing. 

On 11/26/2022 at 6:24 AM, jwsimon3 said:

To me it's too much of a coincidence that both of my Helix products had the same defect. I take good care of my equipment, it's too much money to waste by not being careful. Would be nice to see Line 6 take care of this problem. But, both are out of warranty. So I have a $1500 board and $650 Stomp that I can no longer update and or connect to my computer These issues and countless times I've had to send my Relay G10 and G10s in to get repaired is astonishing. 

If they are out of warranty L6 isn't gonna repair them for free. 

Any electronic repair shop could take care of the problem for a reasonable cost.

For the future I'd strongly suggest to use an extension cable always in place (taped, velcroed, whatever), so you plug your computer to such extension instead the onboard USB. I do that with my Stomp, works flawless.

• Upvote 1

• 6 months later...

I bought the Amazon usb replacement found above and soldered it into place, but it’s still not working. Not only that, but I immediately get this error message when I plug in the usb to my Mac. 
“unplug the accessory using too much power”

• 9 months later...

Hello! mrhipster316

I have the same problem, I have been trying things with cables for two weeks and I have also replaced the USB port on my HX Stopm and everything has been in vain.

Did you manage to solve the problem?

I'm afraid it could be a firmware problem with the unit itself that is shorted.

all the best.
José