Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Setup Troubles

GRLidstone

I've only recently purchased my 500x and I've got my rig connected in what I believe to be the correct input/output setup but I'm having no joy in getting any sound out from my guitar.

My rig is the 500x runninh from the 1/4" l/mono output into a Peavy IPR 1600 power amp input and that is connected to a Blackstar cab.

Any ideas as to where I'm going wrong?

First, I would make sure you're getting sound into the device. Try the tuner. Does it work? Note that it only works with Input 1, so make sure your preset is set to include guitar in input1.

Then try using headphones connected to the HD500x. Are you hearing your guitar?

Let us know the results of these tests and we can go from there.

It's basically plumbing. Follow the signal chain until it stops working. You're getting the tuner so you know the connection from guitar to pod input is working.

Guitar to pod input. The pod input can be set up to only accept variax, or 1/4 or aux. make sure in the setup page of the pod.

Pod signal chain set up correctly? If you have an effect loop in your chain it needs to be connected (if the loop is there but nothing plugged in, your signal will never get through).

Pod mixer set up correctly. If you're using the left 1/4 out. Make sure the left channel volume is up.

Also check your right channel.

Ensure the pod is set up to output to amp or line, depending in your setup.

You don't have a headphone adapter, but you can use a regular 1/4 cable into your external amplifier. Should function the same.

Make a new patch in an empty slot with no FX, just an amp, any amp, don't change anything, strictly default.  Guitar in to POD, left 1/4 out to the Peavey channel A input. Make sure you are plugged into the outer Neutrik connectors not the two center 1/4 jacks.  Peavey channel A out to Blackstar cab.  Check to make sure the Circuit Breaker on the back of the Peavey is not tripped, reset it if it is.

POD Master full clockwise, Peavey channel A volume 1/2, channel B volume off.  By the pedal on the POD, GUITAR IN  to Normal, 1/4 OUT to Line.  Guitar Volume 1/4 and see what you got.  You should definitely have sound now.  If nothing, turn Peavey off and switch to Channel B and see what happens.

If still nothing, plug your guitar straight in to the power amp and see if there is sound.  Keep the guitar volume low and amp volume 1/2 at first so you don't damage anything.  Turn guitar volume up slowly. Check both channels.

Let us know how this works and we can go from there.

Yeah, I built my presets before I got the power amp and cab without a way to test them. Is this what your getting at? This is my first time with this sort of thing.

Is there something plugged I to your physical effects loop on the pod?

With nothing physically plugged in, the chain is broken. Nothing will get to the output, because there's nothing in the loop.

I remember once spending several hours trying to figure out why my x3 Live had suddenly stopped working. No sound output yet I had changed nothing, I thought. Then I remembered I had just cleaned the unit with a combination of vacuum cleaner brush and dry cloth wipe down. In doing this I apparently moved the Line/Amp switch to a midpoint position, engaging neither the Line nor Amp outputs. I had surprisingly discovered a device mute switch! Moved the switch and presto - working again.