Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Guitar and bass simultaneously

jayrawk

Hey guys new to the forum and line 6 hear in general, (well I did have a DL4 back in the day) I am trying to recreate my rig for silent practice and recording, but I have not completely wrapped my head around the HX Stomp yet and am not sure this can be done. 

I am am in a 2 piece band, just myself and a drummer. My rig consists of an Orange OR50 with Orange 412 and an Orange ob1-500 bass head into an Ampeg 8x10. I use an ABY Switch that selects the amps and am running a EHX POG before the bass amp to lower my guitar an octave so it sounds like a bass. Kind of like a royal blood thing but I play guitar not bass. I am struggling to recreate this in the HX Stomp. Can this be done? 

I'm not sure how you'd manage the signal paths in the stomp, but you should be able to run the guitar into the regular input, the bass into the Aux input, and keep those on separate signal chains that send to Left and Right out respectively. This is super easy on the Helix (floor) but not sure about how flexible the stomp is, if it's any different.

Edit: I totally misunderstood. Completely disregard this. This is really easy on the Helix though, so you should be able to with the stomp, I just don't know how you edit the signal chain and what the stomps limitations are.

OK, yes, you should be able to do this.

Create a Pitch Shift effect block. Move it to a lower part of the signal chain so the chain is split. Hard pan that to the Right. Hard pan your other signal to the Left. Run the right output to your bass rig, and do whatever else to the guitar chain and send the left output to your guitar chain.
Probably easiest to do this in HX Edit on your computer but you should be able to do it pretty easily on the unit itself.

Pages 14 and 15 of the manual: https://line6.com/data/6/0a020a4010c935bb66a4c0c44f/application/pdf/HX Stomp Manual - English .pdf

Honestly, the pitch shift on the Helix is one area they still need mega improvement on, and to top it off, the Stomp has far fewer blocks than a full Helix.

Because of that, I'd still do everything recommending above EXCEPT I'd still keep the actual EHX POG in your chain.

I think you'll find it just works better, and saves DSP for your Stomp to excel at other things.

5 minutes ago, Roberttheprole said:

Maybe run effects send to the pog, then bass amp. I do a similar thing with the helix floor and a Pitchfork.

You could, but if possible I'd just run post Stomp to save blocks, unless he's wanting to have a stomp effect both before and after it.

Thanks for yer' help fellas. Unfortunately, I am running out of DSP before I can actually make a sound I dig. Looks like I may need to grab the full size Helix or at least the plug in for silent practicing at home. Maybe the powers that be at Line 6 will offer us HX Stomp owners the plugin version at 100 bucks like the other helix owners in the future. 

• Sad 1