Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Home Recording With The Dt25 112 Combo - Level Issue

sonicwave

Hi all,

Have been using the old guitar port for quite some time, but recently I purchased a DT25 112 combo with the Pod HD500X.

So far so good and I really like the amp. Now I want to start doing some home recording. So I got myself a Focusrite 2i2 USB audio interface and connected the simulated cabinet direct out from the DT25 into one of the preamp's of the Focusrite (XLR/XLR).

The problem is that in the recording software on my PC the audio level from the amp (going throught the Focusrite to the PC via USB) is way too low. It is so low that I have to crank the gain on the Focusrite almost all the way up which causes white noise in the end, so not really preferable. To counter this, I just turn up the master volume on the DT25, but this gets way too loud. I can put it in stand by and crank the amp which still outputs signal through the direct out - even on stand by but only in low volume mode. But it's still not loud enough and the amp starts to distort at volumes of 8+.

My last attempt was to not use "low volume mode", but in that case there is no output at all through the direct out of the amp.

So how to go about this?

It seems to me there is some fundamental problem here that I am not seeing. I would figure that this type of setup (XLR/XLR connection using the directout of the amp to preamp-in on the audio interface) would be the normal way to go?

I have a similar setup DT25, POD HD500x going out the simulated cabinet direct out to a Presonus Digimax Pre into ProTools. I'm not having this issue you are describing. I run the DT25 in bypass and Low Volume Mode. I'll post later what my levels are set at once I'm in front of my gear.

I think there's a setting in the recording settings that lets you boost the signal I think up to 18db. I believe this setting can also be accessed in the Line 6 ASIO settings. Might not help you but I remember it helped me. See the attached pictures.

Brazzy, you maybe correct that it's a setting with his software/Focusrite interface settings. Here is how I have mine setup, JTV-69s into POD HD500x via VDI, POD to DT25 via L6 cable. DT25 is in LVM and in Standby on. Master Volume on DT25 is at 2 o'clock. My mistake with my earlier post, I going into a Mackie Onyx800R, channel gain is set to 30dB and it sounds good into ProTools.

Thanks for the replies, I'll check it when I get home today.

Did some playing around during the weekend and I noticed some interesting stuff. First off all, when I max out the input gain on the Focusrite I can see the recording level in the software on my PC which is clipping (or nearly so), but that still gives low volume out to the main monitors (also connected to the Focusrite). Note that also the recorded sound wave shape in the track is barely visible (almost a flat line), indicating low input levels.

The main volume level for the monitors is OK. Meaning, if I play a imported MP3 which I use as a backing track it sounds quite fine volume wise.

Isnt that a bit wierd? How can the input be clipping with the actual output to the monitors being that low? 

Another thing I noticed is when I connect my guitar directly into the Focusrite the situation is exactly opposite. Even without any gain the input can still clip, but the volume on the monitors sounds fine. However, I would really like to use the DT25 sound and its effects coming from the HD500X of course.

When I'm home I'll have a look at the software settings as suggested and post my findings.

Question for the group... what is the advantage to recording from the DT 25 in LVM vice recording from the POD HD 500 USB?  In LVM you are essentially getting a "full amp" modeled signal just as you would direct from the POD.  If I read the manuals right, it is a transformer tapped signal so you would get some tube flavoring in normal mode at volume, but in LVM I doubt there is anything to be gained over recording straight from the POD in USB.

Not saying it is better to go that way just asking the group if there is any advantage to be gained... seems much easier to record via USB...

Question for the group... what is the advantage to recording from the DT 25 in LVM vice recording from the POD HD 500 USB? In LVM you are essentially getting a "full amp" modeled signal just as you would direct from the POD. If I read the manuals right, it is a transformer tapped signal so you would get some tube flavoring in normal mode at volume, but in LVM I doubt there is anything to be gained over recording straight from the POD in USB.

Not saying it is better to go that way just asking the group if there is any advantage to be gained... seems much easier to record via USB...

I asked this previously and got some answer. Can't recall what it wase I think maybe no advantage :) the search might find that post. I get a pretty low level out of my xlr outs, so I tried them through mic preamps and it was ok. I use the pod for recording though so I hear through the monitors. Dt25s just for being loud and rocking out. I've yet to bother micing it, as I haven't done any serious recording recently

• 1 month later...

Brazzy, you maybe correct that it's a setting with his software/Focusrite interface settings. Here is how I have mine setup, JTV-69s into POD HD500x via VDI, POD to DT25 via L6 cable. DT25 is in LVM and in Standby on. Master Volume on DT25 is at 2 o'clock. My mistake with my earlier post, I going into a Mackie Onyx800R, channel gain is set to 30dB and it sounds good into ProTools.

Thanks Jakeman 19 for the input, interesting set-up you have there. Sorry so late responding.

Question for the group... what is the advantage to recording from the DT 25 in LVM vice recording from the POD HD 500 USB?  In LVM you are essentially getting a "full amp" modeled signal just as you would direct from the POD.  If I read the manuals right, it is a transformer tapped signal so you would get some tube flavoring in normal mode at volume, but in LVM I doubt there is anything to be gained over recording straight from the POD in USB.

I'm really late about radatats question, sorry, on LVM recording and I really don't have an answer as I haven't tried it, but inovation starts with trying things out of the ordinary and when said idea is carried out and succceeds or fails you can then move on. At least in this case sonicwave and maybe a few others have learned where that boost setting  is.