Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Electric (line-out) and acoustic (direct-out) on 2 patches

thijst75

I have a Takamine acoustic guitar with pre-amp built in. I can of course plug this straight into a PA (with or without DI-box), but I would like to add some fx like chorus/reverb/delay/boost. Currently I'm using a POD HD500 for both my electric (guitar-in) and the acoustic (aux-in). I have a couple of patches for my electric, including amp/cab sim, and 2 for the acoustic without amp sims. Works wonders, but it means both signals go to direct-out. Ideally however, I would like to route the acoustic to direct-out, and the electric to line-out so I can use a real amp... but I can't find anywhere if and how output routing can be changed per patch.

So the question is ... can I program the HD-500 so that patch 1 takes the input from guitar-in and leads the output to amp-out (unbalanced), and patch 2 takes the input from aux-in and leads the output to direct-out (XLR)?

Thanks, that's helpful. Btw I usually also employ a AB-switch to quickly change guitars, and this plugs into the guitar-in. So to get this straight, what I have to do is the following ...

Electric:
guitar > AB-switch > guitar-in HD500 > fx chain > unbalanced output (L) > amp

Acoustic:
guitar > AB-switch > guitar-in HD500 > fx chain incl FX LOOP > FX send > mixing desk

The (minor) downside of this would be that I would have to use an external DI-box, instead of using the POD as DI-box. Out of curiosity: would the HD500X or the Helix be able to do what I am looking for? Revert the signal to a dedicated output per individual patch?

Yes, both guitars plug into an A/B switcher (Korg Pitchblack Plus), and then onto the HD500 guitar-in. I have created several patches, for electric and acoustic. 

I have not yet managed to separate the outputs per preset so all patches use the balanced XLR outs. Subsequently, the electric patches include amp sims. It all sounds fine, but I do prefer the sound of a mic'ed real tube amp. So I was looking for a way to route the electric patches to unbalanced output (set to amp), and the acoustic patches to the balanced XLR (set to direct). But I will definitely try the FX-SEND option, even though it would mean adding a DI-box. We play fairly large theaters so cable length is definitely a factor and 20+ mtr is not uncommon. 

Resulting question however is ... what would be the best global output setting? Studio/direct or Combo Front? This global setting affects all presets.

btw I have looked up the Helix manual and it appears that the Helix will allow output routing per preset.

16 hours ago, thijst75 said:

I have a Takamine acoustic guitar with pre-amp built in. I can of course plug this straight into a PA (with or without DI-box), but I would like to add some fx like chorus/reverb/delay/boost. Currently I'm using a POD HD500 for both my electric (guitar-in) and the acoustic (aux-in). I have a couple of patches for my electric, including amp/cab sim, and 2 for the acoustic without amp sims. Works wonders, but it means both signals go to direct-out. Ideally however, I would like to route the acoustic to direct-out, and the electric to line-out so I can use a real amp... but I can't find anywhere if and how output routing can be changed per patch.

So the question is ... can I program the HD-500 so that patch 1 takes the input from guitar-in and leads the output to amp-out (unbalanced), and patch 2 takes the input from aux-in and leads the output to direct-out (XLR)?

I don't see any mention of using STEREO effects in this opening post... therefore I am presuming you don't need stereo output for anything, just a SINGLE OUT for electric to the amp, and XLR out to the PA for the Acoustic. 

This is how I used to do it when I had an HD500

(note, you can reverse left and rights if you want, I'm just listing them here to make things clear)

1. YOU MUST place the MIXER BLOCK as the last item in the chain, otherwise any effect following MAY merge into the other tracks. 
  2. Connect XLR Right to the PA System
  3. Connect 1/4" LEFT to your amp
  4. *** Important ***.... Put a dummy plug into 1/4" RIGHT. This prevent the acoustic from merging to mono on the 1/4" outputs.
  5. On your acoustic patches pan both channels on the mixer block to RIGHT
  6. On your electric patches pan both channels on the mixer block to LEFT
  7. NOTE: If you want to run the acoustic into AUX in... just set your acoustic patches to use AUX input, and your electric patches to use GUITAR input.

If you want to have separate feeds and effects within a single preset "all of the above applies", but the following is also needed....

• Plug the acoustic into the AUX in... not through an A/B box as you mention you are doing.
  • Create TWO DISCREET paths in the HD... PATH 1 for your ELECTIC (choose the guitar input) PATH 2 for the acoustic (Choose AUX input)
  • remember to pan those mixer blocks at the end.

1 hour ago, thijst75 said:

Resulting question however is ... what would be the best global output setting? Studio/direct or Combo Front? This global setting affects all presets.

I always use Studio/Direct... 

Just avoid the use of any "cabs/mic" modeling when going into an amplifier. Either don't use an amp model, or use only the pre-amp version of the model. 

28 minutes ago, codamedia said:
  1. YOU MUST place the MIXER BLOCK as the last item in the chain, otherwise any effect following MAY merge into the other tracks. 
  2. Connect XLR Right to the PA System
  3. Connect 1/4" LEFT to your amp
  4. *** Important ***.... Put a dummy plug into 1/4" RIGHT. This prevent the acoustic from merging to mono on the 1/4" outputs.
  5. On your acoustic patches pan both channels on the mixer block to RIGHT
  6. On your electric patches pan both channels on the mixer block to LEFT
  7. NOTE: If you want to run the acoustic into AUX in... just set your acoustic patches to use AUX input, and your electric patches to use GUITAR input.

Looking at these instructions again ... in step 4 you say that I should plug a dummy into 1/4" right to prevent the acoustic from merging to mono - but it is in fact the electric that is going to 1/4" so the acoustic has nothing to do with this, correct?

6 minutes ago, thijst75 said:

Looking at these instructions again ... in step 4 you say that I should plug a dummy into 1/4" right to prevent the acoustic from merging to mono - but it is in fact the electric that is going to 1/4" so the acoustic has nothing to do with this, correct?

It might not be obvious, but yes - it stops the ACOUSTIC from blending into your electric patch.

• The XLR outputs always obey the LEFT/RIGHT rules set in the mixer.
  • The 1/4" outputs collapse to MONO if BOTH are not plugged in. When you use a dummy plug on the 1/4" right out the 1/4" outputs obey the LEFT/RIGHT rules, but if you don't use a dummy plug on the right, everything (including your acoustic) will come out the left. 

Hope that makes sense. If not, please trust me :) 

Happy to report that it works! I've set the global output to studio/direct, and the slide switch on the front for 1/4" output to amp - this seems to overrule the global setting for the 1/4" outputs.

I'm still using the A/B switch though because it gives me a mute, and the tuner is much clearer.