Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How to Setup computer and Helix to Download Patches

Cghoward

Sorry to bother y'all, I know this is a basic question... I bought my Helix July 14th and want to start downloading patches from the site but, after watching videos and looking at other forums, I still cannot figure out how to properly set things up. 

I have downloaded the Line 6 Updater as well as the Helix sidebar thing for dragging and dropping patches. However, after hooking the helix up to the computer and trying to drag and drop a few patches, errors kept coming up and failed to download. Clearly I technology is not my strong suit... do I just need to update something? Please help! Thank you

From the symptoms I'd say you are using incompatible versions of the relevant software. The latest versions are:

- Helix firmware v2.71

- HX Edit v2.71 (I presume that's what you mean by 'the Helix sidebar thing'?)

- Line 6 driver v1.91

- Line 6 Updater v1.16

If you need to update any software do so follow the instructions here:

Once you have compatible software installed you should be able to drag/drop any *.hlx file from a folder on your computer into any preset slot in the HX Edit window.

Thank you for such a quick response! I have downloaded HX Edit 2.71 and Line 6 Updater 1.16, but my mac cannot download the firmware because it is a .hxf file. Any suggestions there? Again, Ive searched the web but haven't had any luck. I have an older Mac and I am running on Sierra OS if that means anything.

Also, the latest Driver I am seeing on the site is v1.0.5

Thanks again for your help

As the instructions state, there is no need to download the Helix firmware file (.hxf) nor the Updater program, nor the driver separately. The only thing you need to download is the Hx Edit installation program/package. Run the HX Edit installer program - it will install the HX Edit program, the Line 6 Updater program, and the driver. After installation is complete (and after optionally making a Helx system backup using HX Edit) run theLine 6 Updater program with Helix connected and follow the instructions to update the firmware.

Note: the driver is likely only required for Windows systems. On Mac systems the Core Audio system is used.

Thank you for your patience with me haha.. I have followed the instructions and everything appears to be up to date. However I am still always getting the "model specified in the file is not recognized" when trying to import presets. Am I missing something??

IMG_0724.jpg

Your screen capture confirms that the Helix device is running firmware v 2.71. Check the version number of HX Edit to make sure that it is also v2.71 - it will be under the Help submenu, probably an item called About.....

I now know what you meant by the 'Helix sidebar thing'. It looks like you are running a really old and now obsolete version of the Helix editor - a program simply called Helix. What you want is a program called HX Edit, not Helix. HX Edit is the full Helix editor program, providing much more than just the 'sidebar thing' used for preset importing and exporting.