Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

WorkBench does not detect standard variax, help me please!

hxivan2018

Hello Friends, I just bought this Guitar from a friend, but I tried to connect it by means of the original interface of the own brand, and try to install the usb driver of the interface first> install the line 6 monkey last version> after this it suggests me that I must install the hd workbench which is installed. It should be noted that I have the guitar with the full battery charge, connected with a 1/4 cable to my amplifier, and connected to the interface with a network cable with the knob on one of the guitar models but I see that the light is red this is normal ?, since the interface lights both green LEDs there is both an input and output signal to the PC. Line 6 monkey tells me that everything is already installed but I see that it does not work out that I am detecting the variax since it only shows USB INTERFACE and in the WB it does not detect it, is there anything I have omitted? Or did I do wrong ?, Attached photos of the details, I hope you can help me and thank you very much.

pantalla 1.PNG

pantalla 2.PNG

pantalla 3.PNG

pantalla 4.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I got this problem sometimes on mY variax Standard

What I did is put the part of the rj45 cable on the guitar deeper inside and hold it full inside and rescan Workbench

Sometimes the little cap of the guitar put a little bit the cable out

it seem stupid , but that's happend sometimes

• 3 weeks later...

Just viewed the ticket,...

Variax 700 Electric uses original Workbench.

Variax 700 Electric won't work with Workbench HD, they are not compatible.

Workbench HD is for JTV, Standard and Shuriken guitar, and not for original Variax.

Don't plug in the XPS into the set-up. What is your computer OS?

• 11 months later...
On 9/21/2020 at 5:57 PM, psarkissian said:

- Connect as you normally would for an update.

- Insert the battery into the battery compartment.

- Insert a TRS tip 1/4" headphone adapter into the 1/4" jack.

- Both LED's on the interface should be green.

- Proceed with Monkey or Workbench HD.

I've been searchin' for a way to access to  my V700.. for months.

Doesn't work through HELIX doesn't work through POD HD 500, everything has been checked like softwares and drivers updates, reinstalled, changing OS and/or Computer, or whatever...
I finally had to purchase a VDI USB Interface... that doesn't detect the V700... until I tried this strange procedure ?§?§?

Miracle !

How can you explain this?

16 hours ago, psarkissian said:

Make certain there are no USB hubs plugged in.

Still not working. No hubs plugged in. Line 6 Monkey recognizes the usb interface, lights are green but the workbench doesn't connect.

I'm using a Mac OS 10.14.6 (MOJAVE).

• 4 months later...

Hi,
I'm in exactly the same situation as nahssen. My setup is Variax 700 + VDI Interface (purchased brand new for a small fortune) + Variax Workbench + Win10 on a Lenovo ThinkBook 15. The interface lights up green when the cable is connected to the guitar, Monkey can see the interface, but not the guitar. I thought I'd follow your advice with the support ticket, but Line6 registration form rejects the application telling me that the SN is not valid for the model selected. Can't register, dead end here. What do I do?

On 2/19/2022 at 7:14 AM, bekasit said:

Hi,
I'm in exactly the same situation as nahssen. My setup is Variax 700 + VDI Interface (purchased brand new for a small fortune) + Variax Workbench + Win10 on a Lenovo ThinkBook 15. The interface lights up green when the cable is connected to the guitar, Monkey can see the interface, but not the guitar. I thought I'd follow your advice with the support ticket, but Line6 registration form rejects the application telling me that the SN is not valid for the model selected. Can't register, dead end here. What do I do?

Do you have a 1/4” cable plugged into the guitar and have the volume knob turned up?

Yes, the 1/4 socket was always plugged in. First I tried using the guitar powered from the footswitch box through the TRS cable. Then I tried with a battery + 1/4 stereo headphone adapter trick from a previous comment. Not a happy chappy: the interface LED switched from flashing red to green both cases, but there is no valid selection to start Workbench with.

1st screenshot with the device selection window when starting Workbench.

2nd screenshot is the installed SW and divers from Monkey.

I also got a HD500X, but if I understood correctly it will not work with a Variax 700. I thought I mention that hoping it enables a different way to debug the guitar.

Interface status.png

monkey.png

Sure, I learned that once I dived deeper into the internet. But the interface does not work either, as I described above. I just mentioned the HD500X if there is some wizardry hidden inside the multieffect unit that could help to debug if the guitar is half-dead, or if there is a software issue on my laptop.

On 2/21/2022 at 9:27 PM, bekasit said:

Yes, the 1/4 socket was always plugged in. First I tried using the guitar powered from the footswitch box through the TRS cable. Then I tried with a battery + 1/4 stereo headphone adapter trick from a previous comment. Not a happy chappy: the interface LED switched from flashing red to green both cases, but there is no valid selection to start Workbench with.

1st screenshot with the device selection window when starting Workbench.

2nd screenshot is the installed SW and divers from Monkey.

I also got a HD500X, but if I understood correctly it will not work with a Variax 700. I thought I mention that hoping it enables a different way to debug the guitar.

Interface status.png

monkey.png

Dead end here... I guess the local Line6 shop can be the only potential help, right?

A 700 should play thru a 500X, but connecting to Monkey and Workbench won't work,

so it all has to be done thru the interface device.

Old Workbench will not work with Windows 10. The highest it can go is Windows 7 or 8.

Both Apple and Microsoft no longer support 32-bit systems, it's all 64-bit now.

• 1 year later...