Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp and mission exp pedal sweep

mtumi

I am having an issue with the hx stomp and  mission ep-1: all wah blocks whether part of a preexisting preset or a new one sweep to 100% in the middle and back to 0 at full forward extension.   So 0 > 100 > 0, rather than just 0 > 100

I am using 2 expression pedals with a single cable as outlined in the manual.  wah is tip sleeve.   boss fv-50l is ring sleeve and has no such issue as a volume pedal.

If anyone has any thoughts, please advise. 

thx

michael

Thanks brue58ski!

You are absolutely right.  I bought a standard ep-1 since I had no desire to have a single pedal for volume and wah and because they had an amazing purple one for sale in b-stock. :)

Are other wahs (vox, crybaby, etc) typically not TRS? If so wouldnt they have the same problem?  What are my options?  Line6 - software setting?  Hardware rewiring?

thanks again to anyone who can help

michael 

6 hours ago, mtumi said:

Thanks brue58ski!

You are absolutely right.  I bought a standard ep-1 since I had no desire to have a single pedal for volume and wah and because they had an amazing purple one for sale in b-stock. :)

Are other wahs (vox, crybaby, etc) typically not TRS? If so wouldnt they have the same problem?  What are my options?  Line6 - software setting?  Hardware rewiring?

thanks again to anyone who can help

michael 

I definitely agree with you that the HX Stomp advertises like it should work with pretty much any expression pedal, so you'd hope there's a setting that makes it work here.  The main thing I've found as I've experimented between my official Helix Mission pedal and a combination of dual foot switches is that the settings have to be EXACTLY right for it to work. Have you made sure you did all of the following?

1. From global settings under "Controller Assign" assign the position parameter of volume pedal and pan blocks to "Exp. 1."

2. From the global settings "Bypass Assign" menu assign the switch parameter of volume pedal and pan blocks to "None."

3. From the global settings "Bypass Assign" menu, assign the switch parameter of wah and pitch wham blocks to "Exp. 1."

I would make sure you've done all of those, and if that still doesn't work I'd reach out to Line 6 support to see if they're aware of any tricks with that pedal. I know I couldn't get the official pedal to work FOREVER after I'd attached a dual footswitch earlier (and it was doing very similar parameter mess-ups like you describe), and I was pulling my hair out because surely the official pedal was fine, but it turns out I had just one step off and so the whole thing was borked.  Make sure you've done all three steps above before you give up.

Thanks Kilrahi!  

I’m glad I’m not the only one who expected it to just work.  Thanks for the sympathetic ear and the suggestion.  Unfortunately it didn’t work. :(

i think only the first one would actually impact the pedal functionality.  The second two effect how/when the volume and wah pedal are bypassed, respectively.  It now bypasses the wah if it spends more than 300 ms all the way up or down.  

Any other thoughts?

michael

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, mtumi said:

Thanks Kilrahi!  

I’m glad I’m not the only one who expected it to just work.  Thanks for the sympathetic ear and the suggestion.  Unfortunately it didn’t work. :(

i think only the first one would actually impact the pedal functionality.  The second two effect how/when the volume and wah pedal are bypassed, respectively.  It now bypasses the wah if it spends more than 300 ms all the way up or down.  

Any other thoughts?

michael

I agree it doesn't seem to explain your problem, yet, I really did have similar problems with the official one until I hit every single parameter. I'm sorry it didn't help, though I did give you the WRONG instructions because I'm a moron.  You're using a dual pedal and I gave you the single.  The dual instructions are below.  I do have a few other ideas which you've probably already tried, but still:

1. Did you try to have the HX Stomp learn the pedal?  Select the wah block and hold down the far left knob until the mean changes on the screen then hit "page right." It has a third option called "learn." Push that and it asks you to move the pedal up and down. From this menu it's supposed to learn how your pedal works and adapt to it.

2. You can do the learn mode but do manual learn instead. That's where when you hit page right it has the minimum and maximum values. You could try tweaking variations of those and see how those behaviors impact the pedal.  Perhaps some max and minimum value with the weird way it's understanding your pedal would actually work (so for example, if you set the max value at 50% maybe that would be the 100% point on your pedal - probably not but it's worth trying). 

If that doesn't work I'd probably open up a Line 6 support ticket.  They may be able to at least confirm if it's not possible. 

You have no doubt already tried all of the above.  I'll keep thinking about it.  Below are the correct dual pedal instructions:

When connecting two traditional expression pedals with a Y cable, there are a few things to be aware of: •

1. Set "Global Settings > Preferences" > EXP/FS Ring to "EXP 2" •

2. From the "Bypass Assign" menu, assign the Switch parameter of Volume Pedal and Pan blocks to "None" •

3. From the "Bypass Assign" menu, assign the Switch parameter of Wah and Pitch Wham blocks to either "EXP 1" (where HX Stomp engages the block when moving EXP 1 away from its heel down position) or a stomp footswitch

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Got a not very helpful response from either l6 or mission engineering.  Can anyone tell me how /if i could rewire this to work?  Is it difficult?  Anyone have any insight into why hx stomp reputedly works with standard expression pedals (and does indeed work find with my old boss volume pedal) but needs a special pedal from mission?  anyone know of any other options?  upcoming firmware patch?

thx

michael

22 hours ago, mtumi said:

Can anyone tell me how /if i could rewire this to work?  

Below is the wiring Line 6 Devices like to see... others may work, but this always works. (Note: this is TS... not TRS)

line6.jpg.d19751a326758429987d20dddd0cdc8f.jpg

22 hours ago, mtumi said:

Anyone have any insight into why hx stomp reputedly works with standard expression pedals (and does indeed work find with my old boss volume pedal) but needs a special pedal from mission?

Most people don't realize this, but there are many different ways to wire expression pedals... some are proprietary, some are not. It's not just Mission... I have a Yamaha and a DOD that won't work with my Line 6 gear. There will be many others as well....

Mission didn't make a Line 6 model for the heck of it... they made it because their standard model is not wired to work with Line 6 devices :)