Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Levelling volume between clean and distortion

TBone55

How do you go about leveling the volume between your clean sound and your distorted sound so there isn't a huge jump in how loud the sound is when you go from distortion to clean or clean to distortion? With pedals I normally use the level control and adjust it to be just a bit higher than the clean sound from my amp for when I switch the distortion on but I don't seem to be able to do this with my PODHD500X. I've searched but can't seem to find any information here. I've attached my patch if it can be of any help.

Thanks

Alive.5xe

1 hour ago, TBone55 said:

With pedals I normally use the level control and adjust it to be just a bit higher than the clean sound from my amp for when I switch the distortion on but I don't seem to be able to do this with my PODHD500X.

You do it the same with with the POD.... 

I did look at this patch in HD Edit, but didn't load it on my HD500. If the volume is too high or too low when you engage the rat (the only overdrive in the patch) then you can adjust that with the Rats "output" level. It really should be that simple. 

If the patch itself is too loud or quiet compared to other patches you can adjust the volume it in the mixer block to match the other patches.

toggle back and forth changing only the CHANNEL VOLUME until you get the patches leveled. However, it should be noted that properly leveled patches for stage use will NOT seem level when listened to on there own. The distortion will always seem a good bit louder...If you are using a distortion FX on a clean patch, then adjust the LVL of the distortion FX until correct...Keep in mind that the value of the Master volume is NOT stored.

Thanks for your help. I did lower the pedal level down a bit more and it did help. It also looks like I need to use the volume control on my guitar between each setting also to adjust the volume level. I'm trying to balance the amount of gain/volume from the amp to go along with the distortion from the pedal. I guess you just have to fiddle with each until you get what you want. I really did have to lower the pedal level down to around 7. Guess I'll learn as I go along.

Thanks again.

Just now, TBone55 said:

Thanks for your help. I did lower the pedal level down a bit more and it did help. It also looks like I need to use the volume control on my guitar between each setting also to adjust the volume level. I'm trying to balance the amount of gain/volume from the amp to go along with the distortion from the pedal. I guess you just have to fiddle with each until you get what you want. I really did have to lower the pedal level down to around 7. Guess I'll learn as I go along.

Thanks again.

14 hours ago, brokenbones said:

When I'm leveling my patches I always use the POD HD500x Edit program along with an output meter program on my computer. If you use the edit program on a mac you may have trouble locating a good meter that is compatible. 

https://www.darkwooddesigns.co.uk/pc2/meters.html

Thanks for the tip. That's a great idea.

8 hours ago, spaceatl said:

toggle back and forth changing only the CHANNEL VOLUME until you get the patches leveled. However, it should be noted that properly leveled patches for stage use will NOT seem level when listened to on there own. The distortion will always seem a good bit louder...If you are using a distortion FX on a clean patch, then adjust the LVL of the distortion FX until correct...Keep in mind that the value of the Master volume is NOT stored.

Could you explain about the Master volume? Does this mean it has no effect on the output?

11 hours ago, TBone55 said:

Could you explain about the Master volume? Does this mean it has no effect on the output?

The master volume affects all your patches. For example, if your overdrive patch is at 50db and clean lets say 30db and you turn master volume up so you get overdrive at 55 then clean patch also goes to 35. If you have two separate patches for clean and overdrive use the channrl volume to level the volumes. Remember to save before changing patch if not using HD edit. 

16 hours ago, TBone55 said:

The master obviously affects the output of the HD500...My main point here was to let you know that the value (setting) of the master is NOT stored when you save your patch...So if you are changing the master level in tandem with trying to level your relative volume between patches, you might be fighting a losing battle...It is generally a good idea to park the master at a healthy level and not touch it or your monitoring volume whilst leveling patches.

1 hour ago, spaceatl said:

The master obviously affects the output of the HD500...My main point here was to let you know that the value (setting) of the master is NOT stored when you save your patch...So if you are changing the master level in tandem with trying to level your relative volume between patches, you might be fighting a losing battle...It is generally a good idea to park the master at a healthy level and not touch it or your monitoring volume whilst leveling patches.

Ok, got it. I've had my master at the same level and don't change it between patches.

Thanks.

5 hours ago, Eemelamsi said:

The master volume affects all your patches. For example, if your overdrive patch is at 50db and clean lets say 30db and you turn master volume up so you get overdrive at 55 then clean patch also goes to 35. If you have two separate patches for clean and overdrive use the channrl volume to level the volumes. Remember to save before changing patch if not using HD edit. 

Understood. Thanks for your help.

Master volume - 

The master volume does not apply to the cd input. So, for me, I use that as my baseline. I match my master volume/patch volume "sweet spot" to what is playing through the cd input. 

I actually have a "process", but its too much to be bothered typing AGAIN AND AGAIN. 

5 minutes ago, pianoguyy said:

Master volume - 

The master volume does not apply to the cd input. So, for me, I use that as my baseline. I match my master volume/patch volume "sweet spot" to what is playing through the cd input. 

Thanks for the advice.