Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New User -- Moving around sounds & general questions

jeffmillerla

Hey all ---

Just got the Helix yesterday and am upgrading from a Pod 2.0 that I've been using for over a decade. I'm trying to figure out what I think is a very basic question: can I move a preset from one setlist to another? For instance, the band I'm in plays Say It Ain't So: can I move the Say It Isn't So preset over to User Setlist 1 in the hopes that in the future that setlist will hold all of the songs my band plays as presets? It seems like this should be easy to do but I can't figure out how the hell to do it.

Also in general: right now I'm overwhelmed by choice; I'm upgrading to have a wealth of choices but also don't know where to start. Any advice, I'll take.

Thanks!

J

4 hours ago, jeffmillerla said:

Also in general: right now I'm overwhelmed by choice; I'm upgrading to have a wealth of choices but also don't know where to start. Any advice, I'll take.

Thanks!

J

First thing I could recommend is to try and recreate what is familiar. When I got the Stomp I initially tried to recreate setups I liked from the Pod 500x. That helped me both enjoy what I was doing and learn about the strengths the HX platform brought to my old methods. I also printed off a list of the HX amps, cabs, and effects so it would be easier for me to both learn the new names and not have to keep hunting through web pages.

Finally, recently I've this site directed me to Jason Sadites channel on YouTube. He has a lengthy series of videos on the subject of "How to Create a Perfect Tone." I hoped they would be worth watching, but they were even better than I thought. For me the biggest strength was learning what a lot of the Helix parameters actually did.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2019 at 4:50 PM, phil_m said:

You can copy and paste a preset from one setlist to another in HX Edit. On the unit itself, you can save the current preset anywhere you want by changing the Destination on the bottom of the screen.

I'm not seeing "destination" on the bottom of the screen anywhere. I've got rename setlist, then a series of numbers and letters, then reorder prest, then prename preset, snapshot 1/select snapshot, rename snapshot. What am I missing?

42 minutes ago, jeffmillerla said:

I'm not seeing "destination" on the bottom of the screen anywhere. I've got rename setlist, then a series of numbers and letters, then reorder prest, then prename preset, snapshot 1/select snapshot, rename snapshot. What am I missing?

When you hit the Save button, you'll see the screen. There's where you can change the Setlist and Destination you want to save the current preset to.

50968a60-f717-464b-972b-da366921eccc.png

On 1/9/2019 at 7:36 PM, jeffmillerla said:

12 minutes ago, jeffmillerla said:

OK, here's another question: how do I change the settings so that the snapshots stay on the screen as options each time I choose one when I'm on a preset? 

General advice: there's a lot of good info in the manual.

Specific advice about your snapshots question: see manual section Global Settings -> Footswitches

2 hours ago, jeffmillerla said:

OK, here's another question: how do I change the settings so that the snapshots stay on the screen as options each time I choose one when I'm on a preset? 

I'm kind of confused by your question.  The snapshots are always present within a preset because they're defined as part of the preset.  When you select a snapshot, all of the blocks defined in the preset remain visible in the preset, but are either changed in value or disabled/enabled based on how you defined things in the snapshot.  I'm just not sure what you mean by "staying on the screen".  If you're referring to snapshots staying on the scribble strips when you change presets, that's not possible because a snapshot is defined as part of a preset.  If you change to a different preset, those would be all different presets.  That's the nature and definition of what a preset it.