Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

What DAW Can I Use for Helix Native on an Older Mac?

DammKid

Greetings,

I recently purchased Helix Native, but I've since learned that it has no 'standalone' capability (i.e., it requires a DAW of some sort), and that none of the mainstream DAWs will work with my Apple MacPro.

It seems 'nutz' to me, because my circa 2008 MacPro is a quad-core Intel Xeon desktop, with 24 GB of RAM, running at 2 x 3 GHz (well above many of the current-day machines out there), yet thanks to our friends at Apple, I can't update to OS Sierra (10.12) from my present OS El Capitan (10.11.6), and virtually ALL mainstream DAWs appear to require Sierra (10.12) or greater. Blam! I'm dead-in-the-water! 

To no avail, I've contacted tech support at Apple, Line-6 (now Yamaha?), Sweetwater and others in hopes of getting some sort of recommendation or work-around, and I've seen mention of 'Element', 'Reaper', 'MainStage' and 'MenuBUS Pro' here on-line, with no idea yet as to whether any of those will work with 10.11.6 (El Capitan), but is anyone here aware of any reputable, well-recognized DAW's that would positively be compatible with my system?

Many thanks!

18 minutes ago, mark_gamache said:

how about  LiveProfessor  http://audiostrom.com/ ?

there's also AU Lab (requires free Apple Dev account) try Googling "Audio Plugin Host OSX"

Yeah, I suspect that there's any number of different ones out there that 'might' be compatible with my OS limitations, because let's face it, El Capitan (10.11.6) simply isn't THAT old (what? 2-3 years maybe?), but I've posted this thread in hopes that I can avoid the headaches of having to research and bench-test each and every one of these silly things for compatibility. That could take days, and I'm admittedly an inherently impatient guy. ;-)

After spending more time here this morning researching this subject, its looking like PreSonus (specifically their Studio One 4 'Artist' or 'Professional' versions) are about the only mainstream DAW that is compatible with Mac OS 10.11.6 (El Capitan). All the rest require 10.12 (Sierra) or higher, and that includes Cubase/Element, Sonar, Ableton, Wave Lab, Motu Digital Performer, and numerous others. So, I guess I've answered my own question at this point. I'll just purchase the discounted (academic download) version of Studio One 4 Professional.

Case closed.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/10/2019 at 12:18 PM, DammKid said:

It seems 'nutz' to me, because my circa 2008 MacPro is a quad-core Intel Xeon desktop, with 24 GB of RAM, running at 2 x 3 GHz (well above many of the current-day machines out there), yet thanks to our friends at Apple, I can't update to OS Sierra (10.12) from my present OS El Capitan (10.11.6), and virtually ALL mainstream DAWs appear to require Sierra (10.12) or greater. Blam! I'm dead-in-the-water! 

Look at this page on Running Sierra on an older Mac