Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Presets via PC??

5thvision

There simply must be a way to change presets with a hardware knob assigned to a CC or PC. I read something about MSB 1 and LSB 2(bank number..fx. USER), and then the number for the preset. CARN'T get it to work.

Why can such a simple thing, be so.....

Anybody??

Indeed. No doubt. 

And now that has been agreed, somebody still have succeeded changing presets!!!

The point is, that though it's not necessary a live situation, changing presets(instead of just changing tracks) in studio sessions , can and is much more quick and intuitive cos you stay in the same 'environment' ....track, when just comparing and experimenting. ESPECIALLY if you have a lot of tracks with Helix......

???  It "appears" from the video he is sending MIDI Program Changes via Reaper, but Helix Native doesn't support Program Changes (at least not according to the manual or any testing I've done). I'm still a skeptic...

Here's what the youtube poster says "for this vide, simply create a new midi event on a intros track and use that tracks io to send midi to the track hosting helix. Edit that midi item using the events list instead of the piano roll. Add some events and change type to pc and put in the pcs you want. After that it was easiest to me to copy the midi item and pate it, then edit the event for another pc. This way I could put them exactly where I want in the timeline and be also sure that it sent only one message at the time I wanted. Sending multiple messages is a common problem for many guitar plugins and can lead to slowing and crashes. That sad, I will look into an event based script and get back to you ASAP"

But how did he bind the Program Changes to Native and is that even possible?!

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but this is just a workaround, right? Helix Native is not responding to MIDI program change messages to change presets; and Helix Native does not directly support support Program Changes. Instead, Reaper is just changing Helix Native saved "states" (which include different presets). I'm assuming its a bit glitchy and leaves an audio gap while the plug-in reloads, but this would probably work for live use where you've got a bit of a pause between tunes.

You can do this same sort of thing in Logic Pro X using MIDI to change channel strip settings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFMoume6JEs

Well, you can call it workaround, however while I have no idea how it works - it works. One drawback is you have to save presets twice, cause Reaper somehow "doubles" or "overrides" Hx presets.
To me switching it is no more glitchy than changing presets on hardware Helix. The gap is almost the same.

Good to hear the glitch gap isn't a big deal. This method would be perfectly adequate for live performance use....thanks for sharing.

When using Helix Native as a guitar amp/fx modeler for DAW recording, you would use the same preset for a given track, and use the Snapshots for toggling or changing FX or amp blocks. This method works great for automation during mixing.

• 2 weeks later...

Very frustrated to see the new 1.8 version with no additional support for switching presets via MIDI.  Here's my work around in Ableton. I have two channels for the guitar. One clean and one dirty.  Load Native in each one and set accordingly. Turn one of the channels off then map a foot switch to the channel arm button on each. So...when you hit the button it lights one up and shuts the other off.  Archaic - but it works. If you run backing tracks you can also automate if needed. 

Sounds like a useful workaround.

Version 1.8 is not out as of today, but I suppose we can assume MIDI program change support won't be added as it hasn't been mentioned. We shall see.

I don't think it would be a difficult feature to add (mapping MIDI program changes to Preset selections), but would require lots of testing (lots of DAWs).

• 1 year later...

Tearing my hair out trying to change presets via MIDI led me here. The other VST guitar plugs I use have this. Not sure why native doesn't it's a bit ridiculous. It is forcing me to go back to Amplitube 4 to make my laptop live rig. Sad. 

On 2/3/2020 at 3:06 PM, bobpick said:

Tearing my hair out trying to change presets via MIDI led me here. The other VST guitar plugs I use have this. Not sure why native doesn't it's a bit ridiculous. It is forcing me to go back to Amplitube 4 to make my laptop live rig. Sad. 

I was trying to see the status of program changes for changing presets, and see that it has not been addressed, but you cant blame Line 6 as you are trying to make their VST DAW Plugin into a live rig, which was never their intention considering they have a whole line of hardware modelers for live use.  I use a Helix Floor unit live but am running Native as a secondary practice rig and trying to set up a little midi controller, but I can live with snapshots, turning blocks on and off, volume pedal, and Tap tempo via midi.

Many times I can get through a set using one patch and just the snapshots and stomp changes.

I am not confident they will add preset changes in fear of cannabalizing their hardware units, but I can understand their reasoning.