Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Spider V + Pod HD500x + Variax Standard

hiperlouro

Hi guys!

I've had a Pod HD500x for an year now and recently bought a Variax Standard to add to the family.

One thing I love is the possibility to change the variax model and tone by stored preset on the POD, but I've been thinking in buying me a small amp and thought of the Spider V30.

My question is, can I also link the Spider to the presets in the POD like I do with the models of the Variax? For instance, use the Spider to store the amps per preset and remove that from the pod (releasing some DSP also! :D ).

This way I could use a VOX AC30 on one preset and a J-800 on another preset and change amps with the presets...

Thanks!

4 hours ago, hiperlouro said:

Hi guys!

I've had a Pod HD500x for an year now and recently bought a Variax Standard to add to the family.

One thing I love is the possibility to change the variax model and tone by stored preset on the POD, but I've been thinking in buying me a small amp and thought of the Spider V30.

My question is, can I also link the Spider to the presets in the POD like I do with the models of the Variax? For instance, use the Spider to store the amps per preset and remove that from the pod (releasing some DSP also! :D ).

This way I could use a VOX AC30 on one preset and a J-800 on another preset and change amps with the presets...

Thanks!

Unfortunately, no. The Spider doesn't have any sort of workable interface between it and the Pod.

Now, you CAN do stuff like that . . . kind of . . . but it would require more careful planning and control. You would have to create the signal chains you want between the two of them, and save a preset for your Pod, AND a preset for the Spider, and then essentially select two presets instead of one in order to have them work together.

So it's not as simple as a one button push, but it is doable. As someone who shares the DSP between his Firehawk 1500 and HX Stomp, it can be worth it.  However, I do have the FBV controller for the Firehawk 1500 (that also works for some of the Spiders) that makes it easier to switch presets.  Having an open app all the time isn't nearly as smooth.

I have run my HD500x and Helix into the aux in jack on the back of my Spider 5 240hc.  It should pretty good.  I tried the same with my old Spider IV 75, and it didn't sound too good. If you happened to see a used Spyder V 30 for say $75 and you couldn't pass it up, you could do the AUX In cable thing, or plugin to the guitar in and have it set to "no amp" and use it for playing at your home.

But I wouldn't buy the Spider V just as the output for your HD500 though.    Buy something like a Headrush FRFR-1212 instead.  It will serve you well for many years as you upgrade to new modelers in the future.  It costs more than a spider V 30, but you will be better off in the long run.   My HD500x sounds great though the Headrush FRFR.  I plan to purchase a second so I can hear stereo effects.

• Like 1