Sign in to follow this  
yelldog

How to clean Piezo Pickups?

I know this has been posted but I've been digging for an hour and can't find the post I read a while back on how to clean the pickups. Any tips?

Sorry, psarkissian, but your answer doesn't appear to be pertinent to the OP's question, which was about piezo pickups.

29 minutes ago, cbrillow said:

Sorry, psarkissian, but your answer doesn't appear to be pertinent to the OP's question, which was about piezo pickups.

Well beneath the quote he did indicate that it "Also works on piezos."...

Canned air works good too.

A couple not-so-secret, secrets to maintaining clean machine in good working order.

99% Isopropyl alcohol, swabs and some canned air goes a long way.

I use a very soft toothbrush to clean them every time I change strings. 

• Upvote 1

I'd recommend being careful about cleaning the piezo pickups on a Variax. I have found that my Variax Standard's clang tone has reduced somewhat over time. I'm thinking that's because the pickups are seating differently in the bridge, and maybe dirt and moisture has helped fill voids between the pickup and the bridge that I think contribute to clang tone. This is why I use the soft toothbrush. It gets the dust and dirt off the top, but doesn't put liquid of any kind down between and under the pick and the bridge. Something to consider...

On 1/11/2019 at 1:12 PM, cruisinon2 said:

Well beneath the quote he did indicate that it "Also works on piezos."...

Sure didn't see that at the time I wrote the post. Wouldn't have not commented, otherwise.

But my apologies extended -- was just trying to help the OP get what he was looking for.