Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Flashware 2.0 Odd Issues Jtv59 And Hd500

I have just upgraded to flashware v2.0 for my JTV59.  I had several problems getting there but that's another story.

I have noticed these two odd behaviours with my JTV59 and HD500 since the upgrade:

1) loud pop/click when swapping between patches on the HD500.  Does anyone else get this?  Is there a fix for it? I can't live with this and if there is no fix, I will have to roll back to a previous FW version.

2) after swapping to a patch that selects a particular JTV model, if I then move the pickup selector switch, it will move to another guitar model in the model bank associated with the model chosen by the patch. I can even press the ALT-TUNE knob to get positions 2 and 4 and it still stays in the bank selected by the patch.  Prior to v2.0, if I moved the pickup selector, I would get the sound of the model that was selected by the MODEL bank on the guitar and not by the patch.  eg: if patch moved to TMOD pos 1, but guitar set to LESTER and pickup selector in middle position, if I moved the pickup selector to position 5, I would get LESTER pos 5., however, now with v2.0, if I do the same thing, I get TMOD pos 5.   Is this how it is supposed to work?  I can live with this if it is just a behaviour change.

Thanks in advance.

• 2 months later...

I have just upgraded to flashware v2.0 for my JTV59. ..I have noticed these two odd behaviours with my JTV59 and HD500 since the upgrade:

1) loud pop/click when swapping between patches on the HD500.  Does anyone else get this?  Is there a fix for it? I can't live with this and if there is no fix, I will have to roll back to a previous FW version.

Were you able to make any settings changes that eliminated the patch-change-pop? I think from reading the forums that this is not an isolated issue, and seems 100% to come with the 2.0 firmware update. Basically, all subjective tone related differences aside, if the new firmware is causing popping sounds when changing patches, then something is wrong with the new firmware. Period. End of sentence. Next sentence, how and when will the problem be corrected by L6? 

Does it matter if the patches are existing, or created from scratch?> digging into the deeper editing on the HD500, has ANYONE been able to "Stop the Pop" by altering settings anywhere / anyhow? I realize the new firmware improves certain models, and subjective perception aside, an HD modelled version of the guitars is better than a non-HD version - basically the new stuff inherently would be considered "better" by logic alone. However, there are documented issues which eclipse pure logic. It's probably fair to downgrade the 2.0 firmware as "beta testing" / "use at your own risk" / "contains known flaws"

I don't experience any popping when changing patches in v2.0.

#2 is a behaviour change. There have been reports that the behaviour seems to fluctuate - sometimes switches banks and sometimes doesn't - however I don't believe there has been really systematic and definitive testing and reporting on this.

Perhaps one of those who have experienced fluctuating behaviour can clarify?

#2 is a behaviour change. There have been reports that the behaviour seems to fluctuate - sometimes switches banks and sometimes doesn't - however I don't believe there has been really systematic and definitive testing and reporting on this.

Perhaps one of those who have experienced fluctuating behaviour can clarify?

I have had it change behaviour.  It was working as described above but now it is working as it did before and I did not re-install anything.  I simply switched everything on from the day before and now it is back as it used to be.  Weird!!

Were you able to make any settings changes that eliminated the patch-change-pop? I think from reading the forums that this is not an isolated issue, and seems 100% to come with the 2.0 firmware update. Basically, all subjective tone related differences aside, if the new firmware is causing popping sounds when changing patches, then something is wrong with the new firmware. Period. End of sentence. Next sentence, how and when will the problem be corrected by L6? 

Does it matter if the patches are existing, or created from scratch?> digging into the deeper editing on the HD500, has ANYONE been able to "Stop the Pop" by altering settings anywhere / anyhow? I realize the new firmware improves certain models, and subjective perception aside, an HD modelled version of the guitars is better than a non-HD version - basically the new stuff inherently would be considered "better" by logic alone. However, there are documented issues which eclipse pure logic. It's probably fair to downgrade the 2.0 firmware as "beta testing" / "use at your own risk" / "contains known flaws"

The only thing that eliminated the popping noise was rolling the fw of my JTV59 rom 2.0 back to v1.9.   Popping noise cured!     I don't understand why that would be, but it has certainly gone away.  I have a ticket open with Line 6 support, and they have said they will try to recreate the problem.  I have uploaded some of my patches that I experienced the problem with, just in case it is also related to the combination of fx/amps/variax model saved in the patch in conjunction with fw 2.0.

I have been waiting a response for 4 or 5 days now - so I guess they are busy with NAMM and stuff .... so hope they come back to my ticket soon.   I have also cross referenced the other reports of the problem on the forum for Line 6 to review and to demonstrate it is not an isolated incident unique to myself.

• Upvote 1

I have just upgraded to flashware v2.0 for my JTV59.  I had several problems getting there but that's another story.

I have noticed these two odd behaviours with my JTV59 and HD500 since the upgrade:

2) after swapping to a patch that selects a particular JTV model, if I then move the pickup selector switch, it will move to another guitar model in the model bank associated with the model chosen by the patch. I can even press the ALT-TUNE knob to get positions 2 and 4 and it still stays in the bank selected by the patch.  Prior to v2.0, if I moved the pickup selector, I would get the sound of the model that was selected by the MODEL bank on the guitar and not by the patch.  eg: if patch moved to TMOD pos 1, but guitar set to LESTER and pickup selector in middle position, if I moved the pickup selector to position 5, I would get LESTER pos 5., however, now with v2.0, if I do the same thing, I get TMOD pos 5.   Is this how it is supposed to work?  I can live with this if it is just a behaviour change.

Thanks in advance.

1) Popping is annoying.  No fix I know of.

2) I wish I could get the 500x to do this...less thinking (it hurts me head...especially live, lol). I'd love to not have to worry about where the knob on the guitar is. Generally speaking, if I start with a Les Paul patch, Les Paul is where I'd like to stay. Sucks if you forget to set the knob to the same model before the tunes starts...then you suddenly find yourself whisked to Acoustic Land when you thought all you were doing was changing to the neck pickup

1) Popping is annoying.  No fix I know of.

2) I wish I could get the 500x to do this...less thinking (it hurts me head...especially live, lol). I'd love to not have to worry about where the knob on the guitar is. Generally speaking, if I start with a Les Paul patch, Les Paul is where I'd like to stay. Sucks if you forget to set the knob to the same model before the tunes starts...then you suddenly find yourself whisked to Acoustic Land when you thought all you were doing was changing to the neck pickup

1) Popping noise does not occur on JTV fw1.9 - so I am currently on that

2) This behaviour has resorted back to how it operated before - and I did nothing in between - so that is very weird!  Also, I was not the only person to experience this behaviour, several others also reported it, but they have all discovered it has

reverted to how it operated before. Weird!  I wonder what triggers it?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Line 6 have acknowledged receipt of the audio file demonstrating the issue (thank you canerakcil) and have forwarded it to engineering for review.  The representative looking after my ticket has still been unable to reproduce the problem with a JTV at Line 6.  He has suggested that I double check that it is not a gain issue swapping from a low volume patch to a high volume and vice versa and to ensure all my patches are levelled volume wise and he has also suggested that perhaps it could be a latency issue and to try a different Cat5e cable for the VDI connection.  My patches are fairly even regarding volume and I have tried two different VDI cables and the Cat5e cables that come with the JTV and still get the problem, however, those suggestions may help someone else.

I will let you know when I get a further update with news from engineering.    

Line 6 support have come back to say that they don't think this is a bug or an issue and that it is something that will happen with any stomp box if you attack a note as you press the footswitch to engage the effect or change the patch.

I know that this problem started happening when I moved to fw 2.0, I know I get the problem even when I mute the strings between patch changes, I know the problem goes away or diminishes significantly when you go back to fw 1.9, I also know that I am not the only one that has had this problem and surely everyone who has reported it can't have just happened to have changed their playing style and forced the issue. Furthermore, if it was as simple as attacking the note and pressing the footswitch then surely anyone can recreate it - yet my Line 6 support rep said he cannot recreate it.

And how do they explain that the problem only happens when HD500 patch forces a model change on the JTV and goes away if you set HD500 patches to DONT FORCE or if you use a standard guitar? Surely if it was playing style it would occur all the time.

I have pointed all these issues out and have asked that they look at it again - and I have asked what the engineers say about the problem - but if anyone else would like to chime in and raise a support ticket to add substance to the case for fixing this bug then I would greatly appreciate your help.

Thanks!

Line 6 support have come back to say that they don't think this is a bug or an issue and that it is something that will happen with any stomp box if you attack a note as you press the footswitch to engage the effect or change the patch.

I know that this problem started happening when I moved to fw 2.0, I know I get the problem even when I mute the strings between patch changes, I know the problem goes away or diminishes significantly when you go back to fw 1.9, I also know that I am not the only one that has had this problem and surely everyone who has reported it can't have just happened to have changed their playing style and forced the issue.  Furthermore, if it was as simple as attacking the note and pressing the footswitch then surely anyone can recreate it - yet my Line 6 support rep said he cannot recreate it.

I have pointed all these issues out and have asked that they look at it again - and I have asked what the engineers say about the problem - but if anyone else would like to chime in and raise a support ticket to add substance to the case for fixing this bug then I would greatly appreciate your help.   

Thanks!

I know that this problem started happening when I moved to fw 2.0, I know I get the problem even when I mute the strings between patch changes, I know the problem goes away or diminishes significantly when you go back to fw 1.9, I also know that I am not the only one that has had this problem and surely everyone who has reported it can't have just happened to have changed their playing style and forced the issue.  Furthermore, if it was as simple as attacking the note and pressing the footswitch then surely anyone can recreate it - yet my Line 6 support rep said he cannot recreate it.

I have pointed all these issues out and have asked that they look at it again - and I have asked what the engineers say about the problem - but if anyone else would like to chime in and raise a support ticket to add substance to the case for fixing this bug then I would greatly appreciate your help.   

Thanks!

Raise your hand if you're surprised....anyone?

• 2 weeks later...

The popping sound has been fixed by JTV fw 2.1              :)

The behaviour of the model selector switch on the JTV when connected via VDI to HD500 has also changed under fw 2.1 to now match the behaviour I reported at top of this post.  

This has been confirmed in this new thread: http://line6.com/support/topic/7326-have-you-noticed-changes-on-pickup-selector-switch-and-model-selector/