Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Feedback Generator for Helix

Jimmy_vid

Hi !

I've discovered a Digitech pedal, that could be really intersting to add into Helix.

The FreqOut creates natural feedback, and I really miss this on the Helix... am I the only one ??

Do you know if it's possible to create this kind of fx ? 

Or Line6 friends... why not to add on the Helix on next update ?? 

Regards !!

Jimmy

• Like 3

Hi Jimmy. My understanding of how the Freqout works is that it samples the harmonics in the signal presented to it and then decides which one to use based on how it is set up. My feeling is that if it is used the effect chain after a distortion or boost pedal the harmonic content is richer and you get a more realistic effect. Haven’t tried it prior to the boost pedal though, so I could be wrong. Anyway, assuming I’m right it would have to come after a Helix distortion via a send/return block. I’ll try a pre and post pedal setup and let you know how it goes.

if I have a Variax guitar, and have the preset set to tune the guitar down to D (standard guitar E string resonance)....will using the FreqOut still work for adding pleasant feedback?

This has been the one reason I have not jumped on a Variax/Digitech Drop scenario is that I have a few songs where holding that note til it sustains/feedsback is just part of the song...and you just can't get there with just the pitch shift alone

It isn't really feedback that the pedal is doing but rather picking up on one of the harmonics in the signal and boosting it way up. Even though there is a gain control on the pedal the 'feedback' will only last as long as there is a signal coming in to it from the guitar which means that it will die out, depending on how well the guitar string sustains. I suppose you could turn up your amp and move up close to it to induce some extra sustain but that kind of defeats the purpose of the pedal. However, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work as it was designed for any tuning that you choose.

Edit: I think I might have been wrong about the boost statement. The Freqout has a dsp in it that picks up on harmonics that it finds and synthesizes them.

So, if I put the FreqOut in a loop, and the Digitech Drop/Variax going into the input of the Helix....I should be able to simulate an Eb/Drop C# or D/Drop C guitar feeding back, though my guitar is tuned in E Standard or Drop D. 

Hmm...I could also see where you'd want it controllable via expression pedal to sort of sweep it in volume/mix wise like feedback would naturally occur. 

Although not limited to this...the FrequOut as well as the Boss Feedbacker are both handy for guitar players that play really quiet on stage, or use in ear monitors and have zero stage volume. I'd love to see one of these two added to the effects list in the Helix. 

The "Simple Feedback" tone I uploaded actually does this. ( Without requiring a FreqOut) but uses the expression pedal to bring the effect in and out instead of a Momentary switch. I'd like to see the community try to improve on it.  

• Like 1

On 1/24/2019 at 2:48 PM, TLF2007 said:

I have a freqout and made a feedback patch in Helix that I actually gig with. Less is more. I uploaded it as "Simple Feedback". The expression pedal will control either the Wah or the feedback effect or both at the same time. 

Where is this "uploaded" to.... I have been trying to figure out where the patches are .  Sorry for newbie questions.