Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix LT: Recommendation needed for a hum reduction product for use with four cable method.

wwwwwv

At wits end. I have the Helix LT and love it; it's amazing piece of hardware and I recommend it to everyone. I bought it with the intention of using the amp modeling with headphones while my fiance works at home and for recording. I knew that eventually i'd try to incorporate it into some of my amps with the four cable method to get the preamp growl with my favorite speakers. Unfortunately, with both amps, I'm getting miserable hum - Sunn Beta Lead (ss) and Orange OR15 (tube). I've tried multiple guitars, multiple cables, and different electrical outlets. I've ensured the amp and Helix are sharing the same power strip (EMI filtering) and have tried two different power strips. 

My signal goes guitar -> Helix LT (processor chain one) -> Amp Preamp -> Amp Effects Loop Send -> Helix LT (modulation, processor chain two ) and 1/4 output -> Amp return. 

The only thing that helps is to put a Noise Gate block into the effects chain within the Helix and set it to about -35db. However, when I strum a chord, the hum is present with the guitar and it's sounding crap. If I try the noise gate in the signal between guitar and Amp preamp no hum reduction occurs. 

I'm considering the EBTech Humx ($80) or Behringer MicroHD HD400 Ultra-Compact 2-Channel Hum Destroyer ($35) based from other threads.

Line 6 Community - based on my experience of hum within the effects loop of multiple amps and it being only tamed by a Noise Gate block - any recommendations? I'm only playing at home and want to be cost efficient. 

Thanks guys!

I was getting ground loop hum when I plugged in a second guitar amp to make a stereo stage amp set up (using the first amp in 4cm and the second just into it's FX return)

I bought a Behringer MicroHD400 last week and it's completely cured the problem - it was only £18.  I might buy another just to have in the bag in case I ever run into other problems at a gig when connecting to their rig.

I have heard some reports/reviews that using it can slightly drop the signal level - but this wasn't noticeable for me, although I did not do any A/B comparisons.  I expect if you used it at a lower signal output (e.g guitar / instrument level ) you would notice the problem more.  

Thanks for input. I'm really consider the Behringer Hum Destroyer.

If I were to go EBTech can anyone advise if the Hum X or Hum Eliminator would be a better option (high gain amps utilizing 4CM)? Thanks

Edit: if adding the Helix noise gate block (-35db or so) into the effects loop chain solved the noise issue am I headed in the right or wrong path looking at the Ebtech and Behringer? 

Edited by proceedeth
Added question

If you are suffering from an actual ground loop hum, then yes either the Behringer or EBTech Hum Eliminator should solve your problem.  The EB Hum Eliminator looks to be very similar to the Behringer - so I would think that would work the same way. I couldn't say if the Hum X would solve your problem or not.

If it's something else - like induction from fluorescent lights - then these boxes will almost certainly not eradicate the hum.

Appreciate the advice everyone.

Did some further testing tonight with a couple amps and the buzz is present utilizing the 4 CM. While testing, I put a Bleat Chop Trem block in the effects loop path and it has a tremendous effect on the signal while humbucker equipped guitars are plugged in or while the cable is unplugged in the guitar end. I could increase the tremolo effected hum sound while utilizing the amps gain and channel volumes but not with a master volume. Putting a noise effect in the effects loop path would effect the hum and not while in the front of amp channel. Touching the tip of the cable plugged into "Guitar IN" caused a massive volume boost that was modulated by the tremolo. Is this indicative of a ground loop issue or a AC power issue? I first thought it was a problem with the Line 6 Helix but now I'm not sure!

I plan to get the Behringer Hum Destroyer when it's in stock. I'm contemplating getting a power conditioner like the Furman PST-6 or even the Furman PST-8 if necessary. I live in an apartment and can't say much about the wiring. Any help is appreciated and I'd be glad to follow any diagnostic steps -  thank you!

There can be all sorts of causes for this, and it is nearly always external.  One that nearly drove me mad was interference to the effects loop only of a Blackstar Artist 15 (didn't happen when just going in the front end).  It turned out to be a ripple on the power supply caused by power-line networking.  Subsequently I had a similar problem caused by an electric reclining chair - it had always been there, but it had just got plugged into a different electric wall outlet in the same room!  If you are getting noise exceeding -35db it is almost certainly an extraneous source.  If possible, turn off and unplug all electrical appliances on the same circuit, one by one.  And I do mean all appliances - lights, TV, TV cable and satellite, clocks, fridges, heating timers, sound systems, alarm systems, - I even turned off the fountain in my garden pond!  Chances are it will abruptly go quiet just as you turn off some seemingly innocuous bit of equipment.
All noise gates work in the same way and, whilst some may be slightly better than others, they just gate everything below a set level.  -35db is pretty high, and more than enough to cut off sustain and harmonic transients on low output pickups like Strats etc.  I do tend to use one in my Helix at some point before the Send to the Pre-amp, and another one further down the chain before it goes back into the power amp.  You do have to be conscious of the varying levels in the chain, particularly if you are using Send/Return at Instrument level.  Always use Line level if your amp can take it.  My Blackstar loop is switchable for Instrument/Line level, but my Egnater Tweaker is more than happy with the extra boost - more signal/less noise.