Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix playing DAW sounds I dont want

I have a DAW that I use to make recordings.  I want to record guitar sounds coming out of helix.  So I have XLRs coming out of Helix into the DAW.  I plug my helix LT into USB to run HX edit to get the sound I want.  I play along with a song on the internet and record (what I thought was) just my guitar sound.  When I play back, the song from the internet was mixed in to the recording.  If I listen to a song on the internet, the volume knob on the helix controls the volume of the song.  So, the helix is somehow mixing in sounds from my PC into its output.  This doesnt happen if I unplug the USB.  What setting will turn this "feature" off?

Joel

"I have XLRs coming out of Helix into the DAW"  - no you don't, you have XLR cables running into an audio interface (my guess).  You don't need to do this, you can send the audio into your DAW using the Helix USB, take a look at pages 54 and beyond in the user manual.

The way to get around the problem is to insert the audio track (the one you are streaming) into your DAW - that means you have to buy it or record it first.

On 1/13/2019 at 1:38 AM, 5mafre5br said:

I have a DAW that I use to make recordings.  I want to record guitar sounds coming out of helix.  So I have XLRs coming out of Helix into the DAW.  I plug my helix LT into USB to run HX edit to get the sound I want.  I play along with a song on the internet and record (what I thought was) just my guitar sound.  When I play back, the song from the internet was mixed in to the recording.  If I listen to a song on the internet, the volume knob on the helix controls the volume of the song.  So, the helix is somehow mixing in sounds from my PC into its output.  This doesnt happen if I unplug the USB.  What setting will turn this "feature" off?

Joel

Aas fffbrgst said, the statement that you 'have XLRs coming out of Helix into the DAW' is confusing to us. Typically the term DAW refers to a software recording program that runs on your computer. Being a piece of software, it cannot have XLRs running into it. The DAW communicates with an external piece of hardware called an audio interface ( connecting Helix to your computer via USB allows Helix to play this role). Please clarify your hardware setup. What, exactly, is physically connected to what?

Note: Thee are DAWs that operate as a separate, standalone device that includes both the hardware and software components. In this case you don't use your computer at all for recording; your Helix could be physically connected to your DAW. If this is your setup please clarify.

Thanks. 

I consider DAW as the whole workstation (interface & software), so I think that confused things by trying to be succinct.

I have a Focusrite Scartlet18i interface running on a PC with Cakewalk Sonar for multitrack recording.  The helix LT XLR out is connected to an XLR mic input on the Focusrite, which I want to record.  I do not want to use the helix as a recording interface.  I just want it to be a "dumb" amp modeler. 

With the USB connected (to run HX edit), when I play music on the PC like from a youtube video, it bleeds into the XLR output from the helix.   How can I turn that "feature" off?  A simple answer is to disconnect the USB when I want to record, but I want to learn the workings of the helix.

When you connect the Helix it automatically sets your computer's soundcard to Helix. That's why you're hearing the PC playback through Helix. You need to manually reassign that after connecting Helix. Go to your PC sound settings and select the Focusrite as your audio interface for playback and recording.

• 5 months later...

Hi, I’m trying to record with the Helix through USB into my laptop, but I’m having issues with the audio. Before and during recordings I can’t hear my guitar through the speakers but the signal is being recognized in the track and when I play it back I can hear it through the speakers just fine. Has anyone had this problem before or know what I’m doing wrong?

If the above post hasn't solved things, perhaps something as simple as monitoring the track in your DAW is causing the trouble. Check that you don't have the monitor function selected on the track you are recording on