Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod Hd500x Compared To (bass) Pod Xt Live?

UliB

I am still a user of your Variax Bass and a Variax 500 together with their respective Pod XT Lives. In order to upgrade my sound and lighten my equipment I am thinking about replacing the Pods by a Pod 500X. But there seem to be much less amplifier models, especially for bass. Did I miss a model pack like the ones you were offering for earlier models or would replacing the Bass Pod against a 500X mean to lose a lot of sound possibilities?

Thx in advance
Uli

no model packs... the pickings are extremely thin for bass users on any of the pod HD models...

i think that an x3 might be a better investment currently... since you'd have all the familiar xt stuff, with dual tone possibilities... comes with all the expansions etc....

just an idea if you can find a deal on used...

if you get a pod HD... they are nice and all... but you'll be limited bass wise.

wouldn't be a huge deal for me, as i tend to dial in one or two bass tones and go from there... but if you use the xt to its potential that's probably not going to work for you.

• Upvote 1

Thanks a lot, TheRealZap! This is very valuable Information. 
I did not pick up the bass for several years and have just started to practice again after an engagement for a theater musical. Having licensed the Bass Model pack for my (Guitar) Pod XT live, but never having compared the sounds, I found that similar setups on the Pod sound better than on the Bass Pod XT live – more lively, much more brilliance and snap. But maybe I just configured something incorrectly?

On the other hand there’s more noise and hiss, so I have to use the EQ and/or limiter more often. And the (Guitar) Pod’s sub-octave doesn’t seem to be programmed for Bass signals – I got strange clippings and nothing compared to Crystocerus or Sub-Bass on the Bass Pod. Therefore I was hoping the HD would work better – but an X3 will do as well, I guess. And be much cheaper.

Thanks again,

Uli

I had a Bass POD XT live and X3 live and sold both because I'm pretty happy with the HD500 I have now. You may need to make some modifications to the amp settings and apply some sustractive EQ to make the amps models to work better with a bass, and of course add some extra gain, but you don´t need to figure all this for yourself since you can download my presets, which are already published in this forum: http://line6.com/support/topic/263-bass-patches-pod-hd-series/

The next V4 version is almost ready, by the way.

The only thing I really miss from previous models is the equalizer. I think this feature has been getting worse, being less practical and more confusing with each successive model.

In these days you can buy the HD500 (not 500X) pretty cheap becouse is being descontinued.

• 3 years later...

Hi, I had a Variax bass years ago and sold it, but I just bought a used one. Where can I go for a current guide to using it with current multi-effect models like Firehawk or HD500? I'm guessing the bass model HD pack will work with these. 

And if there's not a guide, can you give me some basics on how to pair the Variax bass if at all? I'm also interested in whether the Line 6 1500 watt combo amp would work well with the Variax bass. 

Jeremy