Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hd500 Output Mode Selection

sco01

I use my HD500 for two purposes:

1. I use it to record directly into Reaper

2. As a pre-amp and effects processor into my Randall Stack (I hate the pre-amp in this one but I'm too cheap to buy a new one)

In scenario 1, I use the output mode "Studio/Direct", amp/cab and effects modelling in my patches. The recording is done via USB. This is what works best for me and I really like the sound. 

When I like to jam with the cat, I switch to scenario 2.  The Unbalanced Output (left) is connected to the effect loop return on the amp at all times so I simply fire up the amp (now bypassing the pre-amp) and load a patch with a pre-amp (no cab selected) and any number of effect simulations. The problem is that it sounds pretty bad unless I go to settings and switch to output mode: "Stack Power Amp". 

My problem is that the Output Mode setting is:

A: A global setting. This is not something I can set in a patch so I have to set it manually every time I switch back and forth. The sound is really crappy in scenario 1 if I forget to switch back to "Studio/Direct"

B: It doesn't seem to be possible to set it via HD Edit so I have to use the tiny LCD like some kind of caveman to configure the output mode ;)

Is there an easier way to do this or do you have any suggestion to improve my setup to make switching back and forth simple?

Thanks in advance

TLDR: Too lazy to change output mode back and forth all the time.

I think you might be  mis understanding how to reamp.

It souds like you are recording tones from the HD and then wanting to add sims which sounds bad. so will an amp.

To reamp you record dry no amp no effect. Use a simulator, not the HD modelling.

Then when you want to mix down you run the line level via a reamp device into a guitar amp and mic the result.

Use a dual patch with a mic input on the HD if it is your recording interface.

You could have the HD in the amps FX loop as an FX unit if you have an audio interface or can figure out a way to make and route a dual signal flow.

I have found that choosing combo and rolling off the high end alot can match close to the Studio Direct sound. It will stay as you set it and you can toggle back and forth to get a close match. 

Alternately, 

Just run thru the Randal  use isolating headphones, Industrial Ear Muffs over your earbuds or small headphones will work to get an idea of how the sound is in the DAW rather than what is in the room.

There is nothing wrong with Randals and their pre amp modules are affordable if your amp is one of those.

The reamping thing came about in the 70's when digital reverbs and delays came out and the sound could be tweaked at mixdown.

also the recording rooms back then were pseudo echo's. LOLOL. By that the rooms were so dead with absorbent material anything recorded sounded unnatural including a mic'd up guitar amp.

If you want to try reamp or repatching via the amp set it up 4CM etc and then loop record a section with the looper in the last slot.

Whatever patch you select will be in the HD will be what the looper will go thru via the amp. 

You should be able to get the tone you are after and commit to it in your recording.

If you use delays and reverbs in the DAW and turn off those in the HD and roll off some distortion , you won't need to re amp as you can add them via plugins if you need.

That is correct GTLazer. I'm not trying to reamp any recordings here. I'm simply trying to use the POD for two different purposes while trying to minimize the hassle of switching between these setups. Thank you both for your answers.

When I like to jam with the cat...

<snip>

TLDR: Too lazy to change output mode back and forth all the time.

Two things:

1 - You must have a pretty awesome cat. Mine won't go near me when I wind up my guitar... :)

2 - HONESTLY - not trying to sound rude....but the last part of your quote I've attached is your problem I reckon.

In my humble opinion, the output mode being a global setting as opposed to a "patch by patch" setting is a better setting. Assuming you stay in either mode for any decent length of time, it makes sense to just switch it over when you change and be done with it. Switch it back again when you're finished.

You probably switch patches more than you switch setups..