Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Authenticated Helix Native crash DAW when not online

p4tt4nz

Hi

I know that this has been up on this forum but this has only been for the trial version(I think).

I have bought and registered/authenticated Native without problem.

The problem is the the gui of the application/plugin. If i import Native inte Logic(or Garageband) and close wifi it will work until i click on Native to open the gui. Then the DAW crashes with HelixCocoaView error. I have also let wifi to be active but not loged in to the network but it crash with the same error.

I have run tcpdump when i open the gui in a DAW and it phone home ALOT! If that don't work it crashes.

I have a case about it and Line6 has tried to help but nothing have fixed the problem. Now they seems to have give up because they don't answer anymore.

Anyone that have had the same problem and solved it?

I can't be online all the time when i work on a project so I have to let Native go if i don't get this to work.

Regards

Patrik

Did you read through the below forum thread to see if there are any clues? The cocoaview error is usually associated with an AU plug-in authentication problem, which you are having. Have you tried de-authorizing, deinstalling, and then re-installing and re-authorizing?

https://line6.com/support/topic/36834-helix-plug-in-on-macos-permanent-spinner/

I think I have read all the forum post about Native problems. Have read the link "36834-helix-plug-in-on-macos-permanent-spinner/" but can't find anything that help me. Everything works but I have to have internet connection to open the gui in a DAW.

The things I have tried, whit the help from Line6, is:

1: remove everything and reinstall/authorize Native and computer.

2: remove everything that has anything to do with the authorizing and do it again.

But the problem persists. I have to have network access on to open the Native gui in a DAW.

The last thing the support said was that it looked like the authentication got corrupt. But after that they stoped answer.

I can't find any log that can give me any clues to what don't work when I authorize Native.

• Thanks 1

Sorry to hear about your trouble, and wish I could help. I don't know what the root of your problem is....

Are you even able to open the plug-in within Logic? (With wi-fi on or off?)

If so, are you able to get into your account (under My Account in the lower left corner, via Sign In… or Manage Account…)

Today Line6 answered that this is a bug and they have logged it. So I hope this will be solved in a future release.

To answer your questions:

Native and everything around it works as it should. The only thing that don't work is when the plugin is imported into a DAW and I open the Native gui without internet connection. Then the plugin and the DAW crashes.

I can't read the logs cause they are in .dat files. Probably only Line6 can get something from them but I guess that the authentication don't completely work for me.

When I do it on a fresh install it just hangs at 'This will take a few minutes' . If I after awhile click on ok everything seems ok but I guess something didn't work.

Well, I will wait for a new version or an answer from Line6. Thank for your input soundog.

• 1 month later...

I'm running into this same problem. As soon as my MacBook loses the network connection my DAW immediately crashes. It doesn't seem to matter if I leave WiFi on or not. As soon as the network connection is terminated, everything crashes. 

We've been talking about it over on TGP. From what we've been able to find so far, it looks like the issue happens to users who used a WiFi connection when they first installed and authenticated Native. 

If you used an ethernet connection, everything should be fine, but if you used an ethernet -> USB dongle you might have to keep it connected.

Does anyone know if Line 6 is aware of this issue? Is it something that's being worked on?

Don't know .... you'd have to open a support ticket with them and have that discussion, I suppose. They don't really monitor this forum. FYI, I used Wi-Fi (not ethernet) when I registered and had no problems. Lots of variables....

I have a ticket on this. Line6 have reported this as a bug. Don't know what's happening whit it but if more people open tickets about this the better.

Have tried everything it feels but nothing works. Sent them a tcpdump when it crashes so they know what happens.

Havent heard from them in awhile but the ticket is open still.

And now the ticket is in 'assumed answered' state.

The last entry from Line6:

Hi, Looks like this is a bug, we have it logged.  Thanks for your patience while we sort this out Thanks for sending the detailed information Best regards, Technical Support Line 6 Support Europe

@metropolis_4  Cant hurt if you open a ticket.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/9/2019 at 6:43 PM, soundog said:

WTF! They assumed they answered your question without really answering your question?!!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hey bro, im trying to figure out what's the deal with this issue, are you on a MB, MBP, MBA, iMac, or what exactly, im running on a MacBook Pro 2016 Mojave 10.14.4, I know it could sound ridiculous but I think it has something to do with the MacOS and Plugin version, and maybe just maybe the Mac model

On 3/9/2019 at 11:31 AM, p4tt4nz said:

And now the ticket is in 'assumed answered' state.

The last entry from Line6:

Hi, Looks like this is a bug, we have it logged.  Thanks for your patience while we sort this out Thanks for sending the detailed information Best regards, Technical Support Line 6 Support Europe

@metropolis_4  Cant hurt if you open a ticket.

Bro try Native 1.60 and report back I "fix" it for now but im stick to that version (only 1.50 and 1.60 worked for me with no IC)

Apologies - I was about to suggest trying Native v.1.71, but I have just noticed that you mentioned that you have and had no success with that.

Edited by datacommando
Deleted comment - Already answered in another thread

3 hours ago, eltoffer said:

Bro try Native 1.60 and report back I "fix" it for now but im stick to that version (only 1.50 and 1.60 worked for me with no IC)

Hi, again,

Not sure how relevant this might be, but I did a bit of digging around in some of the older posts on here and found this quote from way back in 2017

Information

This is for the paid, fully licensed and activated version of Helix Native:

After checking out each and every alternative here, I have to declare that

Helix Native needs no (permanent) connection (to the internet)

BUT

it needs an active network adapter (LAN module, card, WLAN-stick, [...]

If that deactivated, Helix Native won't work.

Obviously, the computer activation is dependent/related to an adapter (or card [...])”

Full thread here

So, I did a quick experiment (MacBook running OS10.13.6).

1. with wi-fi active, launched Logic Pro and opened Helix Native (activated authorized). Helix Native working just fine.

2. turned off all network adapters using Mac Preferences > Network

3. Helix Native is still working just fine.

I also tried closing Logic, then launching Logic and opening Helix Native after all network adapters were turned off. Everything worked normally.

So what's the root cause of all this brouhaha? I dunno!

• Confused 1

Hi

Im more or less given up on this until a new version of the application arrives.

I have tried version 1.7 and 1.71 but with the same result.

I run it on a MacBook Pro with Mojave 10.14.4.

Have tried it in Garageband and Logic.

Line6 support tells me that somethings not right in the activation but its hard to see because I can't read the logs. The app tells me its activated. They tells me its a bug.

@eltoffer: Cant find where I can download an older version (1.60)

1 hour ago, p4tt4nz said:

Hi

Im more or less given up on this until a new version of the application arrives.

I have tried version 1.7 and 1.71 but with the same result.

I run it on a MacBook Pro with Mojave 10.14.4.

Have tried it in Garageband and Logic.

Line6 support tells me that somethings not right in the activation but its hard to see because I can't read the logs. The app tells me its activated. They tells me its a bug.

@eltoffer: Cant find where I can download an older version (1.60)

Hi,

This is extremely annoying for anyone who cannot update because the software is flakey!

Anyhow, as you are aware you can revert to an earlier iteration that will work - so here you go

https://line6.com/software/index.html

should take you to the Line 6 download page for All Software - Helix Native > Mac OS. Then you need to scroll down the page to Helix Native 1.60 the Spring Cleaning Update. That should keep you running until the bug gets squashed! My guess is that will happen with the next major firmware update some time this Spring.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

Take a look on the support team reply

Chris,
 Thanks you for your continued patience. The issue you're experiencing with disabling the WiFi is a bug in the public release that has nothing to do with the license type. We have since fixed that bug, and it will be addressed in the next release of Helix Native. We have no timeline on when this release will be. Thank you for understanding.
 Kind regards,
Jason-Line 6 support

right you accept the bug but not giving me a solution not even a update release date, and worse yet, they marked as "answered inquiry "

12 hours ago, eltoffer said:

Take a look on the support team reply

Chris,
 Thanks you for your continued patience. The issue you're experiencing with disabling the WiFi is a bug in the public release that has nothing to do with the license type. We have since fixed that bug, and it will be addressed in the next release of Helix Native. We have no timeline on when this release will be. Thank you for understanding.
 Kind regards,
Jason-Line 6 support

right you accept the bug but not giving me a solution not even a update release date, and worse yet, they marked as "answered inquiry "

Hi again,

I realise that this is an incredibly frustrating situation, but at least you know that the issue will be fixed in the next round of updates. The thing is the update to Firmware 2.80 is the big one in respect of “Helix Unity” as Eric described it. As this includes all the Helix family of products, both hardware and software, I can understand that Line 6 are not going to rush out a patch for the HXN when they are trying to align the entire range. As for the release date - well no one outside of the development team has any idea of when that will drop, other than “Spring 2019” and as far as Line 6 are concerned that could last until June 21. Don’t hold your breath. Of course Line 6 have played their “Get Out of Jail Free” card by saying that Native is still functional under a previous release.

Damned annoying - but the fix is in the pipeline.

Hang in there.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/5/2019 at 9:54 PM, datacommando said:

The issue you're experiencing with disabling the WiFi is a bug in the public release that has nothing to do with the license type. We have since fixed that bug, and it will be addressed in the next release of Helix Native. We have no timeline on when this release will be. Thank you for understanding.
 Kind regards,
Jason-Line 6 support

Seriously this is Line 6's official response - this BUG is bricking all of my working systems [NOW] running logic with any guitar done thru native, while you may have "no timeline on when this release will be" & "we have since fixed that bug" - your response in this instance is just infuriating from someone who has purchased this software @ full price and is now unable to use it any way - I am now having to recreate guitar sounds using guitar rig and amplitube, both are behaving as they should and are not DESTROYING/halting many peoples active working projects..... Thanks so much Line 6 - when you feel ready to share the solution with us instead of just gloating about it that'd be great - in the interim you may consider REFUNDING the purchase cost of this software as it is now utterly USELESS to many users... :(

8 hours ago, bobscribbly said:

Seriously this is Line 6's official response - this BUG is bricking all of my working systems [NOW] running logic with any guitar done thru native, while you may have "no timeline on when this release will be" & "we have since fixed that bug" - your response in this instance is just infuriating from someone who has purchased this software @ full price and is now unable to use it any way - I am now having to recreate guitar sounds using guitar rig and amplitube, both are behaving as they should and are not DESTROYING/halting many peoples active working projects..... Thanks so much Line 6 - when you feel ready to share the solution with us instead of just gloating about it that'd be great - in the interim you may consider REFUNDING the purchase cost of this software as it is now utterly USELESS to many users... :(

Whoa there Bob!

I feel that I must clarify, that while I had message to tell me I had been quoted by you in this thread - that quoted text was not mine. What was quoted was a reply from tech support to forum user Chris “eltoffer” which he mentioned in his post above, as did I.

I will state again that the situation is incredibly frustrating for anyone not able to use the software. Throughout this thread you will find comments from both “soundog” and myself, trying to find and suggest solutions or “work arounds” to this bug. We contribute here because we are both Logic Pro users who have absolutely no issues running this version of HX Native on our Macs. IIRC, I think the best option was to revert to the previous version until this is fixed. Please note, I am not a Line 6 employee, just a simple user of their products, and yes I have had my share of issues with some things.

I must further state that no matter how upset and put out you feel, on here you are simply preaching to the converted and you will be exceptionally lucky if any member of Line 6 staff should happen to stumble across your post. If you want to go right to the top, you need to get on the Facebook page where the management hang out. Either there or TGP is another place where you may find someone. On here it’s fellow Helix users, HX Native also has it’s own section of the forum, but you will only find the same people there.

Regards

3 minutes ago, datacommando said:

I will state again that the situation is incredibly frustrating for anyone not able to use the software. Throughout this thread you will find comments from both “soundog” and myself, trying to find and suggest solutions or “work arounds” to this bug. We contribute here because we are both Logic Pro users who have absolutely no issues running this version of HX Native on our Macs. IIRC, I think the best option was to revert to the previous version until this is fixed.

All ahem "work arounds" tried and failed! Rollback to previous version = failed. It is logged as a BUG that line 6 have fixed for next release of native, no release date forthcoming; so to be very CLEAR - until line 6 choose to release a REAL FIX, I and other users have a non working version of native that we paid good money for. Very happy that you and one other user in this thread have ahem working versions of native on your macs; as a mac engineer and certified logic trainer, I find that even more curious...

14 minutes ago, bobscribbly said:

All ahem "work arounds" tried and failed! Rollback to previous version = failed. It is logged as a BUG that line 6 have fixed for next release of native, no release date forthcoming; so to be very CLEAR - until line 6 choose to release a REAL FIX, I and other users have a non working version of native that we paid good money for. Very happy that you and one other user in this thread have ahem working versions of native on your macs; as a mac engineer and certified logic trainer, I find that even more curious...

Sorry that I am unable to assist you with this situation, but as I noted previously, the next firmware is supposed to solve this issue.

Meanwhile, you could try contacting customer support and raise a ticket - it’s the squeaky wheel effect - the more people complain etc.

Or as I suggested, get on the Helix Facebook group and kick up a fuss there, you may have more success and they have 20,000 users on there.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/line6helixusergroup/

Regards

2 minutes ago, datacommando said:

Sorry that I am unable to assist you with this situation, but as I noted previously, the next firmware is supposed to solve this issue.

Meanwhile, you could try contacting customer support and raise a ticket - it’s the squeaky wheel effect - the more people complain etc.

Or as I suggested, get on the Helix Facebook group and kick up a fuss there, you may have more success and they have 20,000 users on there.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/line6helixusergroup/

Regards

Thanks for the advice but I don't think I should have to spend my time "kicking up a fuss" because a product we paid for is now not functional [inturn costing me/ my clients & students time and money] really have too much work to do to be chasing up Line 6 over this, I'll just make sure not to buy or recommend any of there products in future if this is what their support is like; shame that yamaha allow this kind of behaviour to exist/persist , you'd expect more than this from them at least; have forwarded them correspondence re; this issue and the way it is being handled. Hopefully line 6 will release an intermediary fix for native users as this not a very professional way of supporting their own products - otherwise for owners of native its just a waiting game; As a final recourse will have to call my credit card provider in the morning about having this refunded if there is still no word from line 6 about a REAL fix date for this ridiculousness by then.

50 minutes ago, bobscribbly said:

Thanks for the advice but I don't think I should have to spend my time "kicking up a fuss" because a product we paid for is now not functional [inturn costing me/ my clients & students time and money] really have too much work to do to be chasing up Line 6 over this, I'll just make sure not to buy or recommend any of there products in future if this is what their support is like; shame that yamaha allow this kind of behaviour to exist/persist , you'd expect more than this from them at least; have forwarded them correspondence re; this issue and the way it is being handled. Hopefully line 6 will release an intermediary fix for native users as this not a very professional way of supporting their own products - otherwise for owners of native its just a waiting game; As a final recourse will have to call my credit card provider in the morning about having this refunded if there is still no word from line 6 about a REAL fix date for this ridiculousness by then.

There is one thing that springs to mind about the sale of goods and that is the term “fit for purpose”. It may be worth checking that out.

If a thing doesn’t do what it is supposed to do, then I believe there is a legal requirement to be met. As you say - this thing is costing not only time and money but is also damaging to your professional status. 

Caveat: I’m not a lawyer, but you could check with one if you feel this situation is detrimental to your business.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I'm having this issue running Native on my MacBook as well. It crashes VST hosts and all DAWs as soon as I disconnect from wifi. This is kind of a big deal. I've reinstalled and reauthorized and it persists. I want to have a go at using Native live and everything is set up perfectly with my other gear except for this. It's pretty frustrating.