Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Would You Accept a "New" Helix in An Opened, Unsealed Box??

DammKid

34 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

To all - this might be a good place to consider not posting anything that takes this from "due respect" to "overtly political". Just sayin'.

Yup. I completely agree and no worries. The central question on this thread was basically answered long ago - that I'm an "overly-demanding, overly skeptical, old school a@@hole", and like I said, I'm O.K. with that. In fact, I'm actually somewhat "proud" of it!

Cheers!

• Haha 1

Risking to get banned, but i wonder if those 《heroes 》stuck in their countries how many wars would be avoided. Meaning fight for their countries in their countries, rather than killing in the name of their countries, in another countries. And i don't speak for american 《heroes》 only, about french, british, russian, and all those countries that sent those 《heroes》 to kill exotic people...

Out of topic just thinking loud wish the risk of ban.

• Upvote 1

While it's nice of them to update the unit for you, you very specifically asked for a factory new box.

It may seem like not a big deal to most people but you asked for this for a peace of mind. I'm much like you.

You are not over-thinking this. I would either ask for an open-box price or a different unit.  I bought my Helix open box

and it had the plastic on the screen and I'm not even sure they took the Helix out of the plastic - but I got it from MF for ~850. 

Arislaf,

Nope, no real worries here! As a U.S. veteran of an immensely unpopular foreign war (Vietnam), I think it's safe to say that many, if not MOST Americans, would likely agree with your sentiments on this, particularly with respect to Vietnam, the Falkland Islands, Nicaragua, Desert Storm (Kuwait), Iraq, Syria, perhaps even Afghanistan? The sad fact is, Americans are absolutely masterful at hindsight. However, much like me, I suspect those same Americans would argue that the two World Wars were a completely different story.

Anyway, there you have it! Now, if the moderators here so-choose, they can ban us both! And if they do, I'll quickly and gladly return my Helix. Haa! ;-)

However, I WOULD support the moderator's, if they chose to permanently close this thread, because as others have duly noted, it is not (was not) intended to be a political topic or a political arena.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, vonprater said:

While it's nice of them to update the unit for you, you very specifically asked for a factory new box.

It may seem like not a big deal to most people but you asked for this for a peace of mind. I'm much like you.

You are not over-thinking this. I would either ask for an open-box price or a different unit.  I bought my Helix open box

and it had the plastic on the screen and I'm not even sure they took the Helix out of the plastic - but I got it from MF for ~850. 

Vonprater,

Right! Although you and I are certainly in the minority on this, I'm pleased beyond words to see that someone out there (no matter how few they are in number), can see the principle argument here, buried in the superficial weeds, like whether it has a warranty or not! So thank you very much for your post.

45 minutes ago, DammKid said:

Arislaf,

Nope, no real worries here! As a U.S. veteran of an immensely unpopular foreign war (Vietnam), I think it's safe to say that many, if not MOST Americans, would likely agree with your sentiments on this, particularly with respect to Vietnam, the Falkland Islands, Nicaragua, Desert Storm (Kuwait), Iraq, Syria, perhaps even Afghanistan? The sad fact is, Americans are absolutely masterful at hindsight. However, much like me, I suspect those same Americans would argue that the two World Wars were a completely different story.

Anyway, there you have it! Now, if the moderators here so-choose, they can ban us both! And if they do, I'll quickly and gladly return my Helix. Haa! ;-)

However, I WOULD support the moderator's, if they chose to permanently close this thread, because as others have duly noted, it is not (was not) intended to be a political topic or a political arena.

Sir, you definitely get my respect.

Honestly, Aris

On 1/14/2019 at 2:16 PM, brue58ski said:

Is the protective plastlic film still on all of the screens? If it's not,  then I would say yau are right about it being a returned Helix.

This information will probably strike everyone here as coming a bit late to the story, but what I'm adding here is absolutely and factually true. This morning was the first opportunity that I've had to actually "open" the internal Helix Rack box and fully inspect the Helix unit itself.  Now keep in mind that the unit initially arrived here double-boxed (black-colored, slide-to-open Helix Rack box, packaged inside a once-sealed plain cardboard box labelled Line-6), and that it was the broken seal on the external factory (Line-6) plain cardboard box that prompted the initial writing of this thread. I had not yet seen the internal contents at time of writing.

The fact is, I've been away from home and quite busy this past few days, so this morning, was in-fact the first opportunity I've had to actually open the slide box and inspect the actual Helix Rack unit. When I did so, I observed the unit itself to be packaged inside of a transparent, heavyweight external plastic bag that has been cut or torn about midway down one side, with an adhesive seal that had also been broken, and most importantly, there are NO sheets of protective plastic film on the display window or any other parts of the Helix Rack face plate.  And so, in summary, we have an external box with a broken seal, an unsealed or unsealable internal (slide) box, a torn or cut plastic bag enclosure with broken seal, and NO protective plastic film on the display or any other part of the faceplate.

Now, regardless of what the merchant may claim about having opened the packaging to update the firmware, these four (above) factors, in combination with the fact that the merchant was fully advised NOT to send me a previously opened package, effectively ENDS this discussion!  The absence of protective plastic films in particular, clearly points to this unit having been previously owned and returned, and/or opened and sent to Line-6 for service, and/or used for whatever purposes by whomever!  Whatever the case, my fears would appear to have been confirmed, and the unit is certainly NOT qualified to be sold at full retail price. Thus, it will be returned to the merchant for a refund (no exchanges) post-haste. They're DONE! And whether this particular merchant "needs" my future business or not, is completely irrelevant to me.

Cheers!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DammKid said:

Now, regardless of what the merchant may claim about having opened the packaging to update the firmware, these four (above) factors, in combination with the fact that the merchant was fully advised NOT to send me a previously opened package, effectively ENDS this discussion!  The absence of protective plastic films in particular, clearly points to this unit having been previously owned and returned, and/or opened and sent to Line-6 for service, and/or used for whatever purposes by whomever!  Whatever the case, my fears would appear to have been confirmed, and the unit is certainly NOT qualified to be sold at full retail price. Thus, it will be returned to the merchant for a refund (no exchanges) post-haste. They're DONE! And whether this particular merchant "needs" my future business or not, is completely irrelevant to me

All of THAT taken into consideration, you obviously got a previously owned unit. Return it, and don't be shy about publicly disclosing the name of the vendor. Sometimes bad press is the only way to deal with a vendor like that, and protect future potential customers from THAT kind of abuse. 

6 minutes ago, DammKid said:

So wait...you came here and started the thread before you even unboxed the item? *facepalm*

Can you read the King's English, Nitwit? Or is it that your entire generation is just brain-dead??? Try READ, Junior!

DK - I'm as old as you, and your generation bashing is not only annoying, it reflects badly on OUR generation. STOP IT!

12 minutes ago, DammKid said:

So wait...you came here and started the thread before you even unboxed the item? *facepalm*

Can you read the King's English, Nitwit? Or is it that your entire generation is just brain-dead??? Try READ, Junior!

Whoa, hey, settle down grampa, no need to go all Gran Torino in here. My generation isn't the one that lollipop-lollipoped the economy and ruined the job market ;-). I assumed at some point in the last few days you would have opened the thing up to verify your concerns, but I guess it would be presumptuous of me to think in your advanced age and obviously diminished mental capacity that would be thing. 

I've since spoken to the vendor, and to their credit (at least somewhat!), they've agreed to own this mess. They've acknowledged my initial message about NOT shipping me unopened packages . . . they've agreed that the collective circumstances clearly point to a previously owned unit . . . they've agreed to provide a pre-paid return shipping label for it . . . and they've agreed to send out (immediately), a new, guaranteed "unopened", factory-sealed box, with NO firmware update, and with Express (overnight) delivery at their expense. So, we'll see how tomorrow goes.

I'll take this opportunity to add that yesterday afternoon, I finally got through to the folks at Line-6, and they confirmed for me that they don't specifically authorize ANY of their vendors to 'pre-open' factory packaging (or seals) for ANY reason, let alone firmware upgrades, and secondly, after providing them with the serial number from the EXTERNAL packaging of this specific unit (Note: that little detail is for YOU, "GunPointMetal"), Line-6 confirmed that the unit's serial number, was in-fact an OLDER one.

So, what's the lesson in all of this (at least for those of us who read and speak the King's English!@#%&*) ????? . . . . Its clearly - BUYER BEWARE!

Yours truly,

Grandpa,

And to GunPointMetal - Dude, I can whip ya with both brains tied behind my back! Because trust me . . . in a battle of wits, you're completely unarmed!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, gunpointmetal said:

Whoa, hey, settle down grampa, no need to go all Gran Torino in here. My generation isn't the one that lollipop-lollipoped the economy and ruined the job market ;-). I assumed at some point in the last few days you would have opened the thing up to verify your concerns, but I guess it would be presumptuous of me to think in your advanced age and obviously diminished mental capacity that would be thing. 

ALL generation bashing is BOTH STUPID AND ANNOYING!

BOTH OF YOU! GO STAND IN THE CORNER!

3 minutes ago, DammKid said:

So, what's the lesson in all of this (at least for those of us who read and speak the King's English!@#%&*)?? . . . . Its clearly - BUYER BEWARE!

I believe the lesson would be to verify your concerns before you start a conversation in a user forum, but apparently not.

I believe the lesson would be to verify your concerns before you start a conversation in a user forum, but apparently not.

WRONG! The lesson was "verified" when the seal on the external packaging was broken, period, paragraph!  So apparently, I was right all along - you DON'T speak the King's English.

"Aw, grumpy people are so cute on the internet."

Haaaaa! Too funny! No worries there, Junior!  We're all good (Clint, me, everybody!). I've got sons that are 40+ years of age, and like me, they're veterans, business owners and champions of the American cause. Also like me, they've learned a couple of key lessons in life - one of which is to hire teenagers (like you), while they still know it all!

"Ok, at this point I'm just replying because you're reacting so hilariously. I'm quite a few years from being a teenager, but I'm also not an idiot, so the irony of this is quite wonderful."

Yeah, yeah . . . well, you're perfectly welcome to find whatever "wonder" you and your ilk care-to in all of it, hotshot, but its veterans like me, my sons, and countless others that have fought to preserve that right for you to do so. You feel me? Having been around the world and seen your alternatives first-hand, I certainly hope so!  And you may not be a teenager in chronological age, but you most certainly are one, in terms of intellect.

Howz that for ya on the scale of "Hilarious"??  ;-)   ;-)   ;-)   ;-)

• Haha 1

You keep mocking my intelligence yet here we are, two pages into a thread that didn't even need to exist since you have the time post about it that could have spent opening the box and answering your own questions, and in which you still haven't grasped the "Quote" function that other users have taken advantage of multiple times in this thread. 

Just to kind of weigh in from the original point now with the new information, yes, I'd send it back too if it was as you described.

As to who in these threads is the smarter one, there are still times, albeit rare these days,  where, despite my own better judgment, I take a deep whiff of a shockingly bad fart I passed.

So whoever it is, it clearly isn't me.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Kilrahi said:

Just to kind of weigh in from the original point now with the new information, yes, I'd send it back too if it was as you described.

Well-Well! Someone else capable of smelling the tacos on this sordid affair, and apparently, his own farts as well! Lovely stuff! But so what? Is this concurrence with the rapidly growing majority supposed to mean that we're now somehow "buddies"?

18 minutes ago, DammKid said:

Well-Well! Someone else capable of smelling the tacos on this sordid affair, and apparently, his own farts as well! Lovely stuff! But so what? Is this concurrence with the rapidly growing majority supposed to mean that we're now somehow "buddies"?

Nah. Just means I personally try to be pretty chill. You don't have to like me. Only my mother hangs out in that category, and she feels ripped off.

I like to dream
Yes, yes,
Right between
The sound machine

On a cloud-of-sound I drift in the night
Any place it goes is right
Goes far, flies near
To the stars, away from here

Well, you don't know what

You can find . . .

Last night I held Aladdin's lamp
And so I wished that I could stay
Before the thing could answer me
Well someone came and took the lamp away

I looked
Around
A lousy, can
Was all I found

Well, you don't know what

You can find . . .

But you might as well try it find it

Anyway, eh?

On 1/17/2019 at 10:02 AM, DammKid said:

...and most importantly, there are NO sheets of protective plastic film on the display window or any other parts of the Helix Rack face plate. 

This for me, was the critical piece of the puzzle. All of the other things could be attributed to them upgrading the firmware. But no film on the displays? Definitely used. Your suspicions were justified.

Thank you (and your sons) for your service by the way. Although I don't believe you stated exactly what country you guys served. Hmmm. You guys could be Canadian/French/Lybian/Korean etc. for all I know. (wink wink).

I think everyone of us that were in on the very first run of Helix had open box, though they were packed very well after firmware was installed. I got mine from Sweetwater and its a one day ship from them to my location so I had it quickly. I would NEVER trust. Musicians Friend or Guitar center. I have had way to many issues with both over the years including returned damaged items shipped to me as new.  Both GCs in the area are an hour away (actually three that close) so I might ship to store and inspect it. I would also trust NStuff Music. They are local and do a fairly big online service. I have had good luck with Riff City also.