Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can You Use The 500 As A Reamp Device For Routing Pod->daw Output To An Amp?

clay-man

Hi. I know that you can use the POD as an interface, and I know you can obviously hook up the output to an amp.

Does that mean I can run a guitar into the 500->DAW->500 output->amp?

If I can, that would kill yet another bird with the same stone and I can skip buying a reamp device.

The recorded guitar tone can't come down the usb to have a HD patch added to it. You could mic the monitors on playback and configure a dual patch to receive the mic.

"Using it to go into a real amp doesn't sound right as the line level coming out is not the ideal guitar impedance an amps wants; thus a reamp box to make the impedance from line level back to guitar level.

The HDPRO has the DI in and out to make it easy but you can use the HD 500 by using a reamp box. You can DIY one if your handy otherwise get the best you can afford. Cheaper ones will add noise.

You can certainly set up your routing as you describe, but in itself this won't achieve reamping. Can you be more specific about the workflow you have in mind?

I just want to route the output of my DAW from a POD HD500 to my amp's guitar input jack.

I don't think it's wise to put a line-in signal into a guitar input signal without a reamp device or something like that, and I thought the POD could do that for me.

I just want to route the output of my DAW from a POD HD500 to my amp's guitar input jack.

I don't think it's wise to put a line-in signal into a guitar input signal without a reamp device or something like that, and I thought the POD could do that for me.

You can do that. Set the Hd500 output to amp for the correct signal level as you suggest. The DAW playback will be routed to your amp input.

I just don't understand what that has to do with reamping. You can't select the USB stream from the DAW as an input for processing with the HD500, and if you plan to record the mic'd amp output using the HD500 mic input you will likely encounter a feedback loop within the HD500 that defeats the purpose. Give it a try, but be careful with your levels.

Because I would need a reamp device to send a regular Audio Interface's output into a amp's guitar input. Most Audio Interfaces don't have instrument level outputs, just line-level.

The POD is obviously going to be used to feed into an amp, so I assumed I could do that, just double checking.

I don't use the pod as an interface

but I do reamp a lot in many ways

if the DAW can output the dry guitar thru the jack out of the pod (switched phisically to "amp")

while simultaneously record from the mic in there shouldn't be any problems

as long as you DO NOT assign the mic in to the pod's out of course

anyway listening to the noise the pod does when usb-connected to pc just to use the edit software

I wouldn't be surprised if you get that noise too

it's a ground loop problem and you would need a transofmer isolator...

...which, with a pad, is exactly what a reamp box is ;-)

Maybe I am missing something.  If I understand the original question, you want to feed the dry guitar signal previously recorded from your DAW through the POD to your amp using the POD to provide an Amp level signal vice the line level from the DAW and gain impedance mathcing along the way.  Is that right?  If so, I don't see why you can't do that.  Is that what you guys answering are saying can't be done?

It seems like you are addressing using the POD itself to reamp the dry signal and I can see where it would be difficult to feed the signal to the POD and at the same time record it back over USB since the POD would now be the audio interface.

What about saving the dry signal as an audio file and playing it back from another device through the POD for reamping and recording?  Maybe quality degradation issues?

The real question to me is if there is a way to record a dry signal at the same time as your processed signal with the POD.  Maybe put an FX loop at the start of your chain and feed that to an extermal recorder or another DAW.

..... Is that what you guys answering are saying can't be done?

The real question to me is if there is a way to record a dry signal at the same time as your processed signal with the POD. ....

No - I'm saying that this can be done. It's just not what I would call using the HD500 for re-amping. I would call it using the HD500 as a reverse DI-box, or something like that.

Here's a preset I constructed long ago that allows you to simultaneously record both wet and dry signal from the HD500 to a DAW:

http://line6.com/customtone/tone/217206