Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp FX loop phase issue

tdawgg

having an issue when I create an fx loop in the HX stomp. I'm running it into a power cab, which works great. However, when I put a FX loop send and return block into the signal path, and had a pedalboard, I get a pretty bad phase issue. If I turn the block off, the phase issue goes away. Any ideas?

It sounds like you're using separate Send and Return blocks. You just want to use one FX Loop block. The phasing you're hearing is probably because of the Dry Thru setting on the Send block, so you're creating parallel dry paths. This can be turned off, but still, there's no reason to use two blocks instead of the single FX Loop block.

31 minutes ago, phil_m said:

It sounds like you're using separate Send and Return blocks. You just want to use one FX Loop block. The phasing you're hearing is probably because of the Dry Thru setting on the Send block, so you're creating parallel dry paths. This can be turned off, but still, there's no reason to use two blocks instead of the single FX Loop block.

I'm actually using one stereo send/return block, but using only one send side (L/mono).

It seems to be somewhat intermittent, like if I change patches or turn the unit off and back on.

I have also tried running the send/return block on a parallel path, but same result.

Definitely some kind of phase issue there. When I one of of the footswitches to bypass the block, the output is in phase and sounds fine.

1 hour ago, Kilrahi said:

Would it be possible for you to post a picture of your signal chain?

I tried uploading a picture, buy hot an error message..it's a pretty simple signal path. I'm simply running the send to the pedals (delay and modulation pedals) and running out of the pedals into the return.

I have the send/return block after to the amp. No cab block, as I'm using the Powercab

20 minutes ago, tdawgg said:

I'm actually using one stereo send/return block, but using only one send side (L/mono).

It seems to be somewhat intermittent, like if I change patches or turn the unit off and back on.

I have also tried running the send/return block on a parallel path, but same result.

Definitely some kind of phase issue there. When I one of of the footswitches to bypass the block, the output is in phase and sounds fine. 

You should still be able to use a single stereo FX Loop block unless you're using the other Send for something else (I also think you'd have to have a mono block before the FX Loop).

Anyway, if you want to continue using both blocks, just turn the Dry Thru parameter on the Send block all the way down. That will solve your phasing issue.

3 minutes ago, phil_m said:

You should still be able to use a single stereo FX Loop block unless you're using the other Send for something else.

Anyway, if you want to continue using both blocks, just turn the Dry Thru parameter on the Send block all the way down. That will solve your phasing issue.

I'm sorry, maybe I wasn't clear..I'm using a SINGLE FX loop (stereo) block. I am not using the other send, only the L/mono send

3 minutes ago, tdawgg said:

I'm sorry, maybe I wasn't clear..I'm using a SINGLE FX loop (stereo) block. I am not using the other send, only the L/mono send

No, it wasn't clear to me. Thanks for clearing it up. Do you have the Mix parameter at 100 in the FX Loop block?

1 minute ago, phil_m said:

What are the pedals you're connecting to? I guess I'd start troubleshooting on that end of things. Do you hear phasing when you have them bypassed?

Actually, I was adding the block to a parallel path..when I put it back behind the amp block, it seems to have solved the problem..I guess I'll keep playing around with it..thanks for the advice!

4 minutes ago, tdawgg said:

Actually, I was adding the block to a parallel path..when I put it back behind the amp block, it seems to have solved the problem..I guess I'll keep playing around with it..thanks for the advice!

Yes, putting the block on the parallel path would create parallel dry paths, and the dry path going through the FX Loop would have some latency compared to the other path - hence phasing.

• Thanks 1