Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HELP PLEASE!!

GaryWalker1974

Hi All, I need some help please, I have tried both 2CM and 4CM and when I play through the preset or indeed even a blank preset....it sound WAY duller than direct into the amp!! I would have thought with nothing on the preset it should just be a close representation of direct into my amp it sounds like im just playing into the power amp and missing out the pre amp, however it is far from that. I do not have any global EQ on, My cables are all working fine and of a very high quality, My amp is a Friedman JJ that sounds awesome straight in.

any ideas folks???

many thanks 

Gaz

2 hours ago, GaryWalker1974 said:

Hi All, I need some help please, I have tried both 2CM and 4CM and when I play through the preset or indeed even a blank preset....it sound WAY duller than direct into the amp!! I would have thought with nothing on the preset it should just be a close representation of direct into my amp it sounds like im just playing into the power amp and missing out the pre amp, however it is far from that. I do not have any global EQ on, My cables are all working fine and of a very high quality, My amp is a Friedman JJ that sounds awesome straight in.

any ideas folks???

many thanks 

Gaz

Well yeah, tons of ideas.  More information is kind of needed.

My first question, is this your first time using a modeler? Have you always just been a guitar in to amp kind of guy?

First thing I would suggest is turning the volume knob on the Helix all the way up.  That is unity gain.  Then make sure your connections are correct and that you are using the correct Line/Instrument level that is appropriate with the JJ input and FX loop.  The FX loop in the JJ is probably instrument level but I do not know.  If it's line level that could be a problem.  

Last thing is are you using a really long cable?  More that 15 feet and you will probably notice a loss of high end, even in the FX loop.  I did using 30' cable with my 5150 III.

If you can provide more info we will continue to try to help.

Given your description there could be any number of problems with your setup or the construction of the preset.  In all honesty it's probably multiple issues.  We don't even know what your setup is as far as amp, or what kind of presets you were using, or the signal level you're sending...blah blah blah.  You're going to have to be a bit more verbose and detailed in your description if you want to get some help figuring out what's going on...

HI Guys, Thanks for all your replies,

4CM runs as follows...

GTR INTO HELIX INPUT

HELIX SEND TO AMP INPUT

FX SEND ON AMP INTO HELIX RETURN

MAIN OUT OF THE HELIX TO THE FX RETURN ON MY AMP

CABLES ARE 20FT WITH A BUFFER ON BOTH THE HELIX LINE IN AND MAIN OUT

I'VE USED VARIOUS MODELERS BEFORE AND LETS SAY THE PRESET IS COMPLETELY BLANK BAR THE FX BLOCK RELATING TO THE LOOP FOR 4CM.

EVEN IF I GET THE HELIX TO UNITY GAIN IT STILL JUST SOUNDS LIKE I'M JUST PLUGGED INTO THE FX LOOP AND MISSING OUT THE FRONT PRE-AMP.

CHEERS ALL

GAZ

PS. DOH! JUST REALIZED I'VE LEFT CAPS LOCK ON...

Do you have an FX loop block in the Helix?  That has to be engaged and set to the right output level (line or instrument).  

I highly suggest you use one of the templates from the setlists.  There is one for 4CM.

Setlist #8 - Templates, patch 2A - 4-Cable Method.