Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Jtv-59 Toggle Switch Snapped - Not A Happy Dream Rig User

I just had a toggle switch snap on my JTV-59. I am convinced that Line6 uses the cheapest chinese made crap they could get their hands on. My toggle switch is fully functional, but broke where the plastic cap meets the post. I can still use my fingernail to switch the post, but it is really too short to use in a live situation.  Like cheap pot metal snapped.

I called to get the switch part for the 3-way and Line6 told me to call full compass and gave me the part number. Full Compass does not have the part and needs to order it from Line 6 parts. I was also told that L6 likes to take their time getting stuff out. This is just starting to stink!!   

So far I have had a low volume switch break on the DT25, power supplies go out early on the HD500 and now the JTV-59 had the 3way  break. Although the sound of the dream rig is cool, I would not recommend this setup to anyone anymore because of the quality of these cheap parts they use and charge a premium for.

Not a happy camper about that or my dream rig experience!!

• Upvote 1

Sorry to hear that.

If your jtv59 is no longer under warranty it might be cheaper and faster to take it for repair to your local guitar repair centre. I don't expect that the toggle switch itself is unusual and it could be a straightforward fix. You might want to ask Line 6 if it's a special switch on some way.

The part is only $20 so it can't be that special unless it is Chinese special...

Isn't everything "Chinese special" these days?

Sorry to hear your luck, especially since I have a JTV59 myself.  I am not a big fan of that toggle either, mostly because it FEELS cheap in usage to me.  Mine hasn't broke and works fine but I get the distinct feeling it is a delicate part and can't take hard knocks too much.

• 2 months later...

Not sure if this is related but I have just had my JTV going quiet and have cut out, this has only just started to happen, last week it cut out just seconds befor the first song of gig, I checked everything then I moved the toggle switch up and down and it came back on, I never keep the battery in as I only use the mags, it's like needs some power to keep it going? should the battery be left in? is that the problem? if not will need to send it back, it's only a few months old.....looks like I'll have to go back to my back & shoulder breaking Gibo for this weeks gig.

Not sure if this is related but I have just had my JTV going quiet and have cut out, this has only just started to happen, last week it cut out just seconds befor the first song of gig, I checked everything then I moved the toggle switch up and down and it came back on, I never keep the battery in as I only use the mags, it's like needs some power to keep it going? should the battery be left in? is that the problem? if not will need to send it back, it's only a few months old.....looks like I'll have to go back to my back & shoulder breaking Gibo for this weeks gig.

I have had a similar issue but my JTV59 is 2 years old and I don't normally use mags so only hit the problem when I was playing around with the JTV59 direct in instead of via my HD500. As I mainly use modelling it is not a big deal for me yet - but I don't want the mags to fail - they should have been the most reliable part of the guitar IMO.    I have read that others have also hit this issue, and one person sent their JTV59 back and had a faulty pickup replaced.    As your JTV59 is still fairly new I would recommend sending it back and getting it repaired asap.

• 1 month later...

Could you please tell me where this switch is available for order? Preferably a higher quality one. I can't find it on the Line6 website. What part number do I need to input?

Does the JTV-59US have a higher quality switch than the JTV-59?

Mine stopped functioning after barely any use. Do you guys remember if there was a recall for this? Thanks!

There wasn't a recall but Line 6 has acknowledged that there was a switch problem with early manufacturing of the JTV-59. I suggest you open a support ticket to work directly with Line 6 on this. They will tell you if your JTV-59 qualifies for a free fix, and how to go about getting it.

• Upvote 1

Funny, that is the one thing that bugged me when I opened up my brand new JTV59 2 weeks ago.  The Switch seemed difficult to switch into the down position.  I am used to my  LP's switch and figured it just needed to be used.   It actually feels a little better but nowhere close to my LPs,buttery smooth.   Maybe it will get a little smoother with use... Hopefully that is the case.

Thanks silverhead. I got in touch with dparks but he could not help me due to the age of the guitar. I believe Rich Renken was helping with this before and handling things. I think they should really give extra switches with this guitar. The guitar is nearly a grand and a half but useless because of the defective switch.

Which year did they fix the switch?   Looking at my serial, the new JTB59  I just purchased is a 2012.

The question really is, did they fix it at all? Acknowledging an issue and fixing it are two different things. Problems are still being reported...are they all older guitars? Maybe, maybe not...

Good point. They used to have a dedicated guy helping with the switch issues but I haven't seen him jump in. They don't even sell the switches or tell you where to really get them (dparks gave me a fake/wrong email address to contact and is maintaining radio silence so far).

IMHO, the right thing to do would have been to recall the guitars. Failing that they should bundle the guitar with spare switches if they are not going to fix the root problem... otherwise folks are left with an expensive but useless guitar.

Good point. They used to have a dedicated guy helping with the switch issues but I haven't seen him jump in. They don't even sell the switches or tell you where to really get them (dparks gave me a fake/wrong email address to contact and is maintaining radio silence so far).

The guy who chimes in on here occasionally claims to be the only tech at Line 6 servicing JTV's. So it seems there's only one dedicated guy for everything. It's a swell model... :wacko:

I really wonder how new the new ones they are selling now are.  I suspect that the JTV volumes are not all that high and they may have built up an inventory of them.

Well my 69 is about 3 months old...but the serial number indicates that it was made in 2012...April I think, gotta double check. So technically it's a 2 year old guitar. Sweetwater alone seems to have a million of them, and right after the holidays they were letting some brand new ones (not even scratch 'n' dent) go for $899...I should have waited a month  :( . Makes you wonder what the wholesale price actually is...not likely that they were taking a loss, unless they're drowning in them. My knob is OK so far (knock wood), but it seems there's another guy with a model knob or switch issue every other day around here...doesn't bode well.

I got mine last August and it too was made in 2012.  It's not uncommon to do "production runs" and then shut down if the inventory is too high.  I suspect this may be the case for the JTV guitars.  Mine does have the newer bridge though and I am completely satisfied with it.