Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Removing Dovetail Key?

Good luck! When I assembled mine, I had to use a large rubber mallet and some lubrication to get them to fit together so I don't expect them to come apart easily. You could try leaving them somewhere warm for a while - the metal casing will expand more than the plastic bit. From then on, gentle persuasion with something like a rubber mallet to shift it bit by bit will probably be your best bet. I wouldn't try to prise it out - the casings are relatively soft (aluminium I assume) and will be damaged by hard tools - been there, done that.

If it is extremely jammed you may have to remove a front panel and then using a small rod (and mallet) to push the key itself out towards the rear.

Once you get it out you may want to call our parts department and get the new style key for the next time.

I had a lot of trouble as well.  I used a flat thin aluminum bar that I got from Lowe's, a hammer and some blocks of wood.  Place the aluminum bar between the units so that it is in contact with the key then firmly hit the bar with the mmer to drive the key out.

• 5 months later...

I usually press the edge of the key against a table top or bench and slide the rest of the receiver body in front of the desk or table. The table edge stops the key, but your body weight easily moves the receiver. 

I also recommend contacting customer support to buy the new style key before re-assembling. The new once have no tension whatsoever.