Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Setting Ux2 To Run At 48khz/24-bit In Standalone

whitejs

Hi all,

I simply want my UX2 to run in 48KHz/24-bit mode all the time in standalone mode.  I don't use it as a VST ever; I just call up Pod Farm and play it into a mixer and route that to recording gear.

Since some number of drivers ago, there is no longer a Line 6 configuration setting for sampling rate and bit depth -- you have to use the Windows 7 (my OS) setting under sounds in the Control Panel.  Well, that is settable and all, but setting it there doesn't make it change to that.  IT ONLY CHANGES ONCE YOU "TEST" THE DEVICE in that same Windows Sound control panel.

After you leave Pod Farm or Gearbox and come back, it is right back at 44/16.  Why is this?  Why did they do that?  Why can't it be set within Line 6 setup software to just stay at what we want it to?

Any help would be great.  I'm not going to go to the control panel and test it every time to make it trigger up to 48/24.  It just seems odd.  I don't even need the UX2 to be a Windows device at all, actually.  It works fine (although at the lower settings) when disabled.  I only need Line 6 modeling software to drive it, not any Windows apps.

????

Best to all,

Jon

I don't think the bit rate matters if you are running the analog outs to a mixer.

Thanks for taking the time for my query, Trir.

Still, though, since the modeling is applied to the guitar signal, I would think that A/D and then D/A conversion is taking place, and I wonder if it actually does matter because of this. The guitar signal gets sent to the computer for processing in the digital realm, then gets sent back to end up in the analog outs.

See what I mean?

I see what you mean. It's usually more of an issue if your DAW and Interface aren't running the same bit rate/depth.

How are you recording from the mixer?

I'm sending the Aux out of the mixer to my DAW via my Lynx Audio card inputs. All analog, mainly because ASIO doesn't let you use two devices at once, so I record from the UX2 just like its a preamp going into a mixer.

I just want it to do its thing at higher res and deeper bits. The Line 6 software settings used to include this setting, but now it delegates it to Windows. Well, I don't even need the UX to be a Windows device -- just need it to model for me and give me the sounds out of its analog outs.

So, if I name the UX2 as a Windows device, I can tell it to be 48/24, but it won't go to that until a Windows app tries to use it. When Gearbox or Pod Farm open, it does not change. They aren't using it as a Windows "speaker", which is what it configures as when enabled as a sound device.  Only things using it as the Win soundcard will trigger it up.

Talked to tech support about this, but the guy didn't know about this in detail at all. Very disappointing. I really like the UX as my guitar interface.  He offered me Pod Farm 2, very generously, and said I could use my main soundcard (lovely Lynx 2) and leave the UX2 out of things.  Hmmmm.

Essentially what this says, to all our 2013 readers, and to anyone thinking of buying a Line 6 device to play models through: It only supports 44/16 operation unless you use it as a PLUGIN device in a DAW.  If it is your Windows soundcard, things like Media Player and whatnot will send it up to 48/24 if you set it for that.  But on its own, just using Pod Farm or Gearbox, there is no way to make it work at anything higher than standard CD-quality bit depth and sampling rate.

That, I'll say, is way behind the times.

• 2 weeks later...
Honestly, if you can get POD Farm 2 (assuming a hardware independent license) to recognize your Lynx I would go that route.
That's a pretty nice card (but you're not going to get any word count through the UX's analog).

But concerning the sample rate, if you're routing the UX's analogs to the Lynx, you're adding an extra A/D convesion, and IMHO, it would be very difficult to perceive the differences in sample rates, especially not in the final mix. But I know where you're coming from wanting to use the best possible parameters.

• Upvote 1

I'm having the same problems, the windows system does not let you use 24bit 48khz, at the time the test has an error, use the last drive and my system is windows 8.1. line6 help quickly who loves UX2 :blink:

post-800645-0-92366900-1386818751_thumb.jpg

in the box: Error! says ... format not supported by the device

God help us because it's the end times!

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Bump. Having same issues with windows 8.1 - 64 bit,  go to the control panel - line6Audio-Midi Devices, Driver Format - Sound Control Window, Right click UX2 - properties, and sometime I can't even access the advanced panel but if I try to change the setting from 16bit to 48k 24 bit it says not supported.

Please help us Line6!

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

This is happening to multiple drivers related to audio hardware all over the internet due to a change that Windows 8.1 has.

Fix your driver, Line 6. Keep us updated like all of the other companies do with software (8.1 has been out for some time, now) or post about it somewhere so that we know you're fixing it.

You have competition in the scene coming very soon from multiple companies and merchants who all have much better relationships with the recording scene than you do. 

This portion of your sales will go down handily if someone else makes sure they have solutions that are faster and that work. Tech is not getting less dynamic. You are far too slow for a company that makes software and sells it. 

Make it free if your updates are going to be this awful. This is unacceptable.

• 5 weeks later...

It has passed a lot of time since people is having this problem and for the moment Line 6 hasn't launched a new driver. It's a pitty.

If anyone is planning to buy a UX2 Studio I recomend not to do it. It is not fully supported on Windows 8.1, and also it have a biggest problem if you try to use Cakewalk Sonar X3.

THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE.

If you guys want the attention of Line6 submit a support ticket or call them on the phone.

This is a user forum, although official Line6 reps stop in from time to time, the forums are not monitored for direct support inquires.

It is mainly users trying to help out other users.

my UX2 is the first with red front, I know that today is the UX2 v2 that should not have problems with Windows 8.1 but my UX2 does not work! I am in technical informatics to 25 years and work with music on the computer almost 30 years, I understand a little! this problem is lack of update UX2 driver

• 7 months later...

I've rarely seen a company just kind of NOT KNOW how to solve an issue like this and seeming NOT HAVE THOUGHT ABOUT IT prior to me brining it up several years ago.  Crazy.

I called them (Win 7 64-bit) and they said "Well, you can use your own soundcard now, so just have Pod Farm 2 use your soundcard."  That was a pitiful answer, because the Line 6 setup gives us such nice low-latency and whatnot.

I have to call up the driver in Windows, ask it to make a tone in the device, then the Windows driver starts using it in 48/24.   I use it standalone exclusively because ASIO drivers don't work with two devices simultaneously in a DAW and my main ASIO device is a very nice soundcard that handles my audio in Sonar.

ASIO devices CAN be used simultaneously by different programs at the same time, so I boot Sonar for recording and boot Pod Farm 2 standalone, then record through the audio outputs of the TonePort instead of by USB.  Sure, it's a longer signal path, but I've never noticed any degradation.  I DO, though, want it at 48/24, so I have to do the Win 7 driver call-up thing each time to get Pod Farm 2 to use it at the higher rates.

What is pitiful is that Amplitube 3 and many other software modelers HAVE THE SETTING IN THEIR SOFTWARE, making is simple as pie to just set to 48/24.  Line 6 told me "Oh, we left that to the Windows system to set."   Well, sorry, but it doesn't work.

So, go to your Windows audio devices and set it there, then tell it to make a tone on the device.  It will reset to your desired rate.  After you close it, it won't come back that, so remember that.

I feel abandoned, I have UX2 and had to stop using it because I will no longer use windows 7, I'm using Windows 8.1 that look great and have more !!! the UX2 was also abandoned for use in MAC (Mavericks and Yosemite) I tested the UX2 is there does not work right.

for those who have the first UX2 been abandoned!
I will never buy any LINE 6 product