Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Line 6 Spider V Amp Won't Turn on

DACMC2000

Hi! I have a Spider V 120 watt amp that I have been using for the last one and a half to two years. Not under warranty anymore so I need help fixing this myself

Here's what happened:

-I turned on the amplifier and attempted to turn up the volume. It made an extremely loud distortion noise so I turned down the volume and shut the amp off.

-I turned the amp back on, only to find out that my volume not does not work, and the amp will not produce sound from my guitar now.

-I attempt a factory reset, but I press play instead of the correct button and drums start playing. I turn the amp off.

And now the amp won't turn back on. When I attempt to turn it on, it displays the LED screen flashing with no words and does nothing.

Thanks in advance!

I recommend trying to reinstall the firmware using a smart device or computer connected to the amp via USB. More info on updating can be found in the link below. If you experience a failed update or your amp locks up during boot up, you can hold down the Amp and FX buttons to enter Update Mode. Once it's in Update Mode, attempt the update procedure again. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/7/2019 at 10:10 AM, robwood68 said:

I’ve been using my spider 120 for 9 months fine but suddenly it’s not making any sound from my guitar.ive tried a factory reset

and using brand new guitar leads it is still under warranty but I wanted to try and see if I could do it myself first

I recommend trying to reinstall the firmware using a smart device or computer connected to the amp via USB. More info on updating can be found in the link below. If you experience a failed update or your amp locks up during boot up, you can hold down the Amp and FX buttons to enter Update Mode. Once it's in Update Mode, attempt the update procedure again. If that fails, please contact support!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...
On 1/17/2019 at 3:49 AM, DACMC2000 said:

Hi! I have a Spider V 120 watt amp that I have been using for the last one and a half to two years. Not under warranty anymore so I need help fixing this myself

Here's what happened:

-I turned on the amplifier and attempted to turn up the volume. It made an extremely loud distortion noise so I turned down the volume and shut the amp off.

-I turned the amp back on, only to find out that my volume not does not work, and the amp will not produce sound from my guitar now.

-I attempt a factory reset, but I press play instead of the correct button and drums start playing. I turn the amp off.

And now the amp won't turn back on. When I attempt to turn it on, it displays the LED screen flashing with no words and does nothing.

Thanks in advance!

Hello,

I think I'll try it here, because I have almost the same problem:

I recently bought a Spider V 20.

First time I played it for some minutes, I had exactly the same problems as the OP:

* extremely loud distortion noise, building up to 100% feedback

* no knobs, including master volume did work

* I switched the amp off

Now, nothing works. When I switch the amp on, the "FX" buttons lit up in all colors, but only once. Then they turn off and the amp does not react to any input from guitar. No noise coming from the speaker anymore.

I AM able to connect the amp via USB to a Windows computer. This works.

With Line6 Updater I see Firmware 2.0 installed.

When I try to update to Firmware 2.0.1, it seems to work, but then Updater gets stuck with "waiting for the amp to reset". In this case the three FX buttons rotate blinking blue, but nothing happens. When I disconnect the USB cable and switch the amp off and on again, everything is as before - Firmware 2.0 is installed, but nothing works.

I tried to re-update Firmware 2.0 and even 1.00.3, with the same negative result.

Then I tried to use the "update mode", starting the amp with FX1 and FX3 pressed. This worked, too. The updater showed "Firmware 0.00" installed. I tried to install Firmwares 2.0.1, 2.0 and 1.00.3, but in the end of the procedure the update says "An error has occured. Please try again.", but sadly without any specific error message or error code (FX buttons still rotatingly blinking blue).

Is there anything I can do now?

I am a software developer and would be happy to use some more freaky diagnostic tools, if needed ...

Best regards

B.