Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Don't have a USB dongle, nor an interface...would this work??

Hey guys,

I have a JTV variax but I have no USB interface to change it's parameters, and I have no other interface (POD, helix, etc.). The interface by iytself is 150$ here, which is absurd.

Would this cable make the Workbench HD see my JTV and allow me to update firmware/upload patches and change params?

https://bencraven.com/?p=1616

Thanks!

8 hours ago, ehackster said:

So how come that web page says that the cable works and that the Line 6 Monkey and Variax Workbench recognize the Variax? (just by using this cable)

Try contacting the author of the web page. Note that the post was nearly four years ago.

" So how come that web page says that the cable works and that the Line 6 Monkey and Variax Workbench recognize the Variax? "---

1) He is talking about old Variax, going to MIDI, and MIDI boxes are active devices. He doesn't just use a cable.

2) The correct interface set up for JTV is an active device, which is required to get it to work.

There are no short cuts in this.

On 1/20/2019 at 12:15 AM, ehackster said:

So how come that web page says that the cable works and that the Line 6 Monkey and Variax Workbench recognize the Variax? (just by using this cable)

The internet says lots of things.... most of which is to be taken with a metric ton of salt. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/21/2019 at 1:19 PM, psarkissian said:

" So how come that web page says that the cable works and that the Line 6 Monkey and Variax Workbench recognize the Variax? "---

1) He is talking about old Variax, going to MIDI, and MIDI boxes are active devices. He doesn't just use a cable.

2) The correct interface set up for JTV is an active device, which is required to get it to work.

There are no short cuts in this.

Who mentioned just using the cable without a MIDI device?

Clearly this cable is intended to use both MIDI IN and MIDI OUT device on an audio interface.

So does that make that an "active" device?

• 3 years later...

Hello. I can confirm self-made adapter working with my Variax 600. I followed the Bens' article on his page: https://bencraven.com/?p=1616 (actually now https://web.archive.org/web/20181219095346/https://bencraven.com/?p=1616). My adapter looks like in the pictures below:

1-min.thumb.jpg.0ecb40e6a7e58b8dae7d9b908e727cbf.jpg

2-min.thumb.jpg.4542b12bbce28c9a3c845394227e9236.jpg

3-min.thumb.jpg.62d98fd017996ad4ad505083d5eb3854.jpg

If you want to make something like this, please pay attention to to the orientation of pins 4 and 5, as Ben said in his article. The MIDI (DIN 5) sockets are shown from the wiring side (I'm not 100% shure if the numbers on MIDI socket pins are correctly marked). List of things I needed to make the whole adapter:

• plastic case - I don't remember its model, but its outer dimensions are: 89,5mm (length) x 74,5mm (width) x 41mm (height),
  • 2 x MIDI (DIN 5) panel sockets,
  • RJ45 panel socket (in my case it was made from brand "Roxtone") - this was the most expensive thing from the entire set, as it cost me about $6.57 (delivery included) or 32.68 PLN to be more precise,
  • short ethernet (cat 5e) cable with RJ45 plug.

I also needed MIDI to USB adapter (I had one before so I didn't count its price) to connect my adapter to PC: USB MIDI kabel konwertera do komputera klawiatury muzycznej Adapter USB do  klawiatury PC MIDI Adapter interfejsu kabel wysokiej jakości|keyboard midi  cable|cable alarmkeyboard labels - AliExpress

I also needed one standard RJ45 cat 5e cable (I also had one before so I don't count its price) to connect the adapter to my Variax guitar:

Victron connection cable RJ45 3 meter, 13,61 €

So the entire connection path looks like this:

Variax guitar -> RJ45 cable -> DIY adapter -> MIDI to USB adapter -> PC

The variax guitar was powered by 6 AA batteries.

After connecting the whole thing together, Workbench (not Workbench HD) did recognize my guitar :)

• 2 weeks later...