Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Will Variax firmware update work thru Helix?

Will I be able to do firmware updates when my Variax is connected via VDI thru Helix? Monkey seems to see the Variax, but I'm not confident that the update will work. Rather than using the awkward and out-of-date USB interface that came with it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/6/2019 at 2:20 PM, ddmiller said:

My Variax is a Shuriken 250.

I am 99.99999% positive that model is supported by the Helix for updating. 

Why not send a support ticket to Line 6 just to be certain? 

EDIT TO ADD: Please disregard this post.. it is wrong! phil_m has corrected me below! 

• 2 weeks later...

The Helix cannot be used to update any of the Variax guitars. The issue is that the Helix isn't compatible with Line 6 Monkey, and you have to use Line 6 Monkey to send the update to the Variax. This is true for all Variax models.

• Thanks 1

I know that. What I expect is that L6 will do whatever it takes to make the Helix be able to update the Variax. I have a new Shuriken 250 Variax and a new Helix. They should both work together totally without any janky USB dongley thingy.

1 minute ago, ddmiller said:

I know that. What I expect is that L6 will do whatever it takes to make the Helix be able to update the Variax. I have a new Shuriken 250 Variax and a new Helix. They should both work together totally without any janky USB dongley thingy.

I don't think Line 6 is ever going to make the Helix compatible with Monkey... There are technical reasons as to why that's not feasible. They may be able to make it so you can update the Shuriken through Line 6 Updater - I don't know.

One thing is you only need to dongle to perform the update, and the Variax updates are pretty few and far between. You can use the Helix as an interface for Workbench HD, which is much more important, imo.

18 hours ago, phil_m said:

The Helix cannot be used to update any of the Variax guitars. The issue is that the Helix isn't compatible with Line 6 Monkey, and you have to use Line 6 Monkey to send the update to the Variax. This is true for all Variax models.

I thought it was just the older models of Variax it couldn't support (for updates), I stand corrected. 

Thanks for this bit of info... it's good to know. If I ever buy a used JTV or Standard I'll have to make sure it comes with it's dongle. That is something I definitely would have overlooked! 

18 hours ago, phil_m said:

You can use the Helix as an interface for Workbench HD, which is much more important, imo.

I guess that is what surprises me... even if Monkey is not supported, why wouldn't they build an update function into Workbench HD? Oh well, it is what it is & at least now I know!