Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

EVH 5150 III and HX Effects midi programming. Help needed

ledvedder5150

Well, programming this thing to change the EVH channels isn't as easy as I thought it would be. I put the EVH into learning mode by pushing both channel select buttons. Lights start blinking. Then, in the HX Effects, I go to command center and select a footswitch. Set the command to bank/program command, midi channel 1, program 1. Press footswitch 1 on the HX Effects. Choose the clean channel on the 5150. Then exit the learning mode on the 5150. Then, I switch to channel 2 or 3 on the 5150 and press footswitch 1 on the HX Effects. Nothing happens. 

Here is a YouTube video that I'm referencing. 

• 2 years later...
On 1/18/2019 at 3:53 PM, ledvedder5150 said:

Well, programming this thing to change the EVH channels isn't as easy as I thought it would be. I put the EVH into learning mode by pushing both channel select buttons. Lights start blinking. Then, in the HX Effects, I go to command center and select a footswitch. Set the command to bank/program command, midi channel 1, program 1. Press footswitch 1 on the HX Effects. Choose the clean channel on the 5150. Then exit the learning mode on the 5150. Then, I switch to channel 2 or 3 on the 5150 and press footswitch 1 on the HX Effects. Nothing happens. 

Here is a YouTube video that I'm referencing. 

This may not be what is causing your issue but I notice in your description of your sequence that you selected the clean channel on your 51050 after you put it in learn mode. That is correct according to the 5150's manual but the 5150's instructions for using learn mode seem to be indicating you are supposed to select the clean channel on the 5150 before you place the amp in learn mode as well. Pretty typical. Couldn't tell from your description if you did that first. That should put the clean channel on the amp in ready mode to learn whatever MIDI command you are sending from the HX FX for the currently selected channel. After you program the MIDI commands and click the footswitch on the HX FX then just follow the rest of the 5150's manual instructions for Learn mode.  Repeat and rinse for the other 5150 channels.

Might also be worth trying a different program number for the HX FX in case "1" is causing the problem.  Also does not hurt to save your preset on the HX FX as you go to make sure you don't lose your MIDI setup.

• Like 1

Here's how I finally got it to work. 

"Create three patches to switch the amp channel. Patch one, I set the channel to 1 and the pc command to 1. Put the amp in learning mode as per instructions, send the signal from the HX Effects, select the clean (green) channel on the amp, save the patch. Patch two, set the channel to 1 and the pc command to 2. put the amp in learning mode and select channel two (blue), save the patch. You can figure out how to program the red channel #3. At the end, take the amp out of learning mode."