Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix midi cc to control Variax guitar

Thark

Hi all. I'm trying to figure out how to change Variax guitar presets by using a Helix footswitch. I can see in HXEdit that the Variax preset can be controlled by midi CC but ... which CC number?

Screen Shot 2019-01-18 at 6.09.02 PM.png

Do you have your Variax connected to your Helix with an Ethernet cable? Then do not use MIDI, just use Snapshots. As you've shown in your screenshot, choose Snapshots for the Preset Variax Model parameter. Then choose a model, like Acoustic 1. Next, go up to the top and choose Snapshot 2, and then change the Model to something else, like Lester 1.

Now when you choose Snapshot 1, you should get the Acoustic model, and when you choose Snapshot 2, you should get Lester.

Set Model to MIDI CC. Click "Bypass/Controller Assign". Select VARIAX MODEL in the left hand column. In the right hand column set the CC# to whatever CC# your controller is sending. In the picture, I've set the CC# to the CC# sent by the first slider on my APCmini Controller. What controller are you using? In my case I've used MIDIOX to determine the CC#, then, because the APC is USB and therefore can't be directly connected to the Helix, I've mapped the the APC to the Helix in MIDIOX. Your controller is probably directly connected?

Edited by rd2rk
Image removed to recover attachment allotment

Thanks aaronlyon. I had thought of using snapshots but it's a little more complex than what I described (should have explainedin my first post, sorry). I'm using the Two Tones A/B template preset to switch between amplifiers and I'd also like to be able to switch guitars at the same time. The screen capture picture from HXEdit implies, to me at least, that it is possible to change guitars via a midi command but I can't seem to find any documentation on it.

Thanks rd2rk. I think I've jumped off into the deep end of the midi pool here. I'm not using a controller (that I know of). I really just want to use a footswitch to change to a different guitar model on the fly during a live performance.

I have never seen the screen that you posted. How do you get to it?

In the screenshot you posted you're in the Variax EDIT screen. Right next to the EDIT bar you'll see BYPASS/CONTROLLER ASSIGN.

In my description I was using a variable controller (slider) since you're using a preset , it'll be different. If you can attach that template, I'll try to figure it out for you.

22 minutes ago, Thark said:

Thanks aaronlyon. I had thought of using snapshots but it's a little more complex than what I described (should have explainedin my first post, sorry). I'm using the Two Tones A/B template preset to switch between amplifiers and I'd also like to be able to switch guitars at the same time. The screen capture picture from HXEdit implies, to me at least, that it is possible to change guitars via a midi command but I can't seem to find any documentation on it.

It would all be much easier with snapshots. But I suppose it depends on what you're envisioning.

You can assign the Variax model parameter to a footswitch, though. You don't need to mess with a MIDI CC. Just right click on the Preset Variax Model parameter and select the footswitch you want to assign it to. You can set a different model for the min and max settings of the footswitch. Then the footswitch will let you toggle between two models.

14 minutes ago, Thark said:

Thanks Phil. It feels like I'm close to a solution. What I still don't know is how to set a different model for min and max for a footswitch.

After you select the footswitch as the controller, go to Bypass/Controller Assign tab. Then click on the line on the left hand side of the screen that says "Variax  - Variax Model - Footswitch #". Then you'll see the parameter bars for the min and max settings show up.

I think there's a bug in HX Edit regarding this as the Preset Variax Model doesn't show in the pulldown menu on the Bypass/Controller Assign tab. But selecting it from the list of all controllers on the left is an easy workaround.

• Like 1