Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

About Protecting The Amp From Power Loss, Surge Or Drop?

Brazzy

What is the best way to protect these amps from power loss, surely this can't be good for it. Does anyone know which is the better products (Power conditioners, battery backups and the like) is best suited to the DT50 & DT25?

That's a good question. I would like to know what if anything people use for power conditioning / protection from spikes. I don't currently use anything except for a generic power strip which does offer some level of overload protection, but it's not anything built for audio or amps. I've seen references to local power supplies that have extraneous noise or are under or over voltage that can lead to poor performance & sound from audio devices, but I don't really know what specific units are good for guitar amps and electronics, or if it is not really necessary.

Is anyone out there using something they would recommend?

I remember there was some talk amongst guitarists about Furman products. I'm doing some research to see what I can come up with, 'cause new things pop up everyday. I think I'm going to need 2 pieces (battery backup into conditioner sort of thing) of equipment to do this right.

I found this, anyone have any thoughts? Furman F-1000 UPS 1000VA Simulated Sine Wave Battery Backup Supply with Advanced Level Power Conditioning

Found this thread.

Pomor, talks about Looking for "sinusoidal output waveform and low output harmonics level" in these conditioners. I guess it's important for clean sound.

I don't want spend this much either, lol. I have to start somewhere. Once I get the information I need I can make a better decision before I buy. I do want a battery backup though, so it when the current totally shutsdown my amp won't just shutdown and mess with the tubes. I would like to have the option of going into standy before powering down. Aslo when the power source shuts down it usally comes back on a few seconds later sending the DT into frenzy. LOL

I don't want to get something thats going to inject noise into my rig if I can help it.

Wow! Way over my head as far as cost, but I don't need a battery backup unit. Furman is a good company so I'm sure it's a good unit. I'm looking for something a lot cheaper and simpler for my needs.

It's not really the power section of the amps you need to be so concerned with as far as power quality issue. It's the digital side that are usually more susceptible to power quality things like voltage drops or high order harmonics coming back on the line. In really bad cases, dirty power could be a nuisance to tube power sections in the way of noise. But dirty power isn't really going to affect the life of the tubes. I suppose if it was an extreme over- or under-voltage situation, it possibly could, but those sorts of things are relatively rare.

A tube amp isn't like a computer where doing a hard shut-down will hurt something. A surge upon the power coming back on again would be the bigger worry. That's why power companies sometimes recommended unplugging stuff during a power outage. Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about power conditioning unless you're taking the amp to a lot of different clubs and you have good chance of running into issues. For home, I don't know if I'd worry about it.

Thanks for your input on this Martin Phil. I'm still looking at options on this stuff. I frequently get power outages where I'm at, the current will power down and power up sometimes a few times before staying down or staying up. Crazy power fluctuations.