Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

External Volume Pedal vs. External Expression Pedal

gibsonsj

The more I research vol. pedals and exp. pedals the more confused I've become.  I thought Volume Pedals only controlled volume, but I've plugged my Ernie Ball VP Jr into the Exp. 2 jack of my helix lt and I'm able to assign it to a wah pedal as well.  Oddly, it seems to function as the wah pedal for some of the helix's wahs, but doesn't for others.  Are those blocks that won't work, the blocks that require expression pedals?  Why?

Will this be a viable work-around?   https://www.strymon.net/strymon-tech-corner-3-volume-pedal-as-an-expression-pedal/

For my own understanding can someone explain how they're functionally different?  I mean, aren't they both just pots you control with your feet?

Hi. I thought that the primary difference between volume pedals and expression pedals is that volume pedals use a logaritmic taper pot where the expression pedal uses a linear taper pot. Both would work but the volume pedal would do most of its work at one end of its travel. Do you find this is the case in your situation?

Edit: Just remembered ... Line 6 doesn’t use trs plugs for expression pedals but rather plain old ts. I have a Mission Engineering EP1-L6 designed specifically for Line 6 stuff which uses a ts cable to connect to my Helix. Not sure how your pedal works. I’ve got a volume pedal kicking about and an insert cable somewhere so I’ll give it a go.

Just gave the volume pedal/insert cable trick a try. It works (I tried it on a wah) but ... through the full travel of the pedal from heel to toe it goes from 0% to 100% and then almost at the toe position rapidly back down to 0%. ???

• 11 months later...

I have an Ernie ball 250k volume pedal and a mission engineering Kemper expression pedal. Both work using a TS cable connected to the output jack.  The insert cables give me the weird 0/100/0 sweep mentioned above.  It’s almost too easy.

I’m trying to decide if it’s worth it to buy another expression pedal with linear taper.  The Helix adapts pretty well, but the resolution sucks with the log taper near the top of the curve.