Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Newbie Question - XD-V30 and Sound Board

I have a XD-V30 that has worked well for me on single-camera productions.  I'm branching out and will be using a soundboard.  I purchased a Behringer Xenyx 1204USB Premium 12-Input 2/2-Bus Mixer:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00871VO5Y

Where is the best place to plug the XD-V30 into?  I plan on using phantom power for another mic on one channel.  It appears that if you turn on phantom power, it turns it on for all the channels.  Is it OK to come out of the balanced out into one of the XLR inputs for channel 1-4 with phantom power on? Or do I need to come out of the unbalanced on the XD-V30 and into the 1/4 TRS jacks? It appears phantom power is only applied to the XLR jacks. 

Thanks! Chris

• 1 month later...

From wikipedia: Phantom Power

Many mixer boards have a switch for turning phantom power on or off; in most high-end equipment this can be done individually by channel, or on smaller mixers all mic channels can be either on or off, also this can be done in groups in most mid-range boards and some smaller ones. If it is desired to disconnect phantom power from one channel only, this can be done by using a 1:1 isolation transformer or blocking capacitors. Phantom powering can cause equipment malfunction or even damage if used with cables or adapters that connect one side of the input to ground, or if certain equipment other than microphones is connected to it.

I have yet to find any mention of phantom power and Line 6 wireless receivers.  I wish Line 6 would at least have a statement about it in their XD-V manuals. 

Some Manufacturers protect against it.  From Shure FAQ: #360