Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

DT 50 Head quit. Input?

droonster

Long time Line 6 user started with the POD bean and have owned multiple L6 amps and POD floor boards over many years. I use to frequent the early boards a lot but haven't been on them for over 15 years.

Anyway, I purchased an L6 HX Effects unit last night and was having a great time with it for a bout five minutes when my amp quit. 7 years I've owned it and this is the first issue I've had. The power cord fuse blew (it was a 5A 250V) so I tried a 1A and 2A and they both blew as well.

I was wondering, based on the serial number provided, should I file a support ticket to see if maybe there are other options for me rather than just take it into a tech and pay a few hundred dollars to get it working again?

A bit of history: I traded for this amp slightly used from a dude that worked at a music store so he hadn't even registered it yet. He told me the amp came in with a smashed power tube and they didn't have a matching set of EH's so he put in and biased a matching set of Mesa Boogies they had in stock. I always found the amp sounded richer and warmer than my bandmates who's DT 50 head has stock tubes. 

I only put about 10-12 hours a YEAR on this amp so it has under a hundred hours on it and I use a DT50 4X12 and sometimes a DT25 1X12 I have.

Any thoughts/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

DT 50 SN.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

Properly biased stock tubes are a must. The tube section and digital processor section have to talk nice to one another.  

Using Mesa tubes messes with that. 

Don't mess with anymore fuses. Log a Support ticket. It may or may not be fixable. It needs to be evaluated by a Line 6 authorized service center. 

Ok, I will log a support ticket. I assumed because the music store themselves put the tubes in and considering I used it for 7 years without any problems any issues would have cropped up at the start. It sounded and worked great with zero issues for 7 years.

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully its not pooched.

Got lucky, most people who put in Mesa blow the amp within the 6 or 7 weeks.

They're mediums, the ones that we get. I'll be at the trade show this weekend, and

I visit and chat with all the tube tube people each year.

The problem you have tough, will require Line 6 authorized servicing. It's not just the tubes.

The way the fuse blows and serial number tell me other things that make it a "none self repair".

Only a Line 6 authorized service center. There are three in your area.

https://line6.com/find/service_center/

There are parts that will be needed that can't be had through Full Compass, an authorized service center is needed for that.