Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Is Anyone Happy With The 2.0 Upgrade(electric Sounds Mainly)

I think I am on 1.9. Should i not do the upgrade? I dont want thin/no volume electric sounds since its mainly what I like to play. I think i heard someone say that they wish they could have the 1.9 electric sounds and the 2.0 acoustic sounds. Is that really true:(

Is there a patch coming out for the 2.0 electric sounds issue?

Thanks

there's not really a 2.0 issue as you describe (it has some quirks that need corrected, tone quality isn't on of them)

it's subjective...

if you have specific patches using the current firmware be prepared to hate it while you reconfigure those patches.

however.... if you simply want a better sounding guitar... i'd say 2.0 is a win... that's my opinion is that 2.0 is dramatically better...

others will disagree.. but it's all opinion.

The question has kind of been beaten to death here already, but since you asked - I'm extremely happy with the 2.0 sounds. To me they seem much more realistic and responsive. I've been gigging with them since July, and there hasn't been one time I've missed anything from the earlier firmware.

I think I am on 1.9. Should i not do the upgrade? I dont want thin/no volume electric sounds since its mainly what I like to play. I think i heard someone say that they wish they could have the 1.9 electric sounds and the 2.0 acoustic sounds. Is that really true:(

Is there a patch coming out for the 2.0 electric sounds issue?

Thanks

Which electric models do you typically play?   There are really very few that have caused some to stay on 1.9.    The best thing to do is give 2.0 a try and then roll back if you are not happy.   From my perspective it was only the GIBSON ES-335 models in the SEMI bank positions 1,3,5 that were significantly different.   But they can be customized in Workbench HD or alternative models can be used, so not a deal breaker for me. Overall I am happy with the v2.0 models.   NB: You may need to tweak your JTV string volumes in Workbench HD after the upgrade especially if you immediately think the new models sound bad through your POD patches - you should only need to tweak patches a little if at all.

I play Church Music but mainly use the Gretsch(billy model) and strat for the more overdriven songs and some telecaster. I am still new to this...i havent really fooled around with the other models...

Well in that case I would recommend you upgrade - hopefully any differences you notice will be for the better.   Try it for a while - tweak your patches if you need to - tweak your guitar models in Workbench HD if you really need to (you can boost preset and/or pickup volume if necessary) - then if you really don't like it then roll back to v1.9.  But I don't think you will need to - you will probably be more than happy with v2.0.

I (mostly) agree with Gear Head.  But the Gretsch and Tele are, to my ears, about the most improved - and hence most different.  So leave yourself time to adjust to it and/or roll back before playing in public.    Also, be sure to follow his advice on settings. 2.0 has very different volume levels for each model so will interact differently with your amp and effects.