Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Why I Dumped My Helix

WithALoudNoise

I loved my Helix. I was very impressed by the sound and all of the routing options available, but for me the footprint was just too big. I wanted a more powerful looper, but could not fit the Ditto x4 on my board due to the overwhelming size of the Helix. Enter HX Stomp. 

As soon as I saw it, my Helix went up for sale on Reverb and I have not looked back. With all the extra space I have been able to integrate a plethora of other pedals that compliment the Stomp and also free up some of the six valuable blocks, the only failing I see in the Stomp. 

All of this is also powered by the incredibly small Strymon Ojai.

Just thought I’d share the exerience! As always, Line 6 impresses. 

A7CCFC0B-2CAF-4EFA-8054-918A6264BA5D.jpeg

• Like 1

Nice setup. Also, great reminder to me that at least for what I do, I don't really need a full Helix, and the Stomp makes my interest in obscure pedals something that makes a bit more sense to pursue.  The six block limit still feels stupid though.

Say what you will about the Stomp, the goal of designing something that pedal board users would clamor for seems to be paying off for Line 6. I see tons of people integrating it into their board.

I’m kind of going in the opposite direction. I have two pedalboards, one with the basics (wah, overdrive, etc) which is fairly weighty, and one with several stereo Strymon effects which is light to lift. Amp is a Mesa TC50 with 2x12 speaker but ... I’m at that stage in life where it’s pretty tough to lift, in fact it stays in the house these days. I can, however , lift the Helix and my Powercab so for live stuff I’ll probably be using the Helix and Powercab. Might use the light pedalboard too as it has a Lester K leslie sim which is pretty hard to beat.

Interesting- everyone has their own reasons I guess. I started with the STOMP hoping I could go lighter and smaller but by the time I added on some of my necessities like 2 expression pedals, power, and some other pedals, I found that my small footprint was longer and about as heavy as the Helix floor.  So I sold my stomp and bought the floor.  I will say I totally feel your pain re: the looper though.  So bummed the new 2.8 did not fix the onboard looper so it would sync w/ BPM.  That would have been a game changer.