Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Amp Channel Switching With HX Stomp

StaceyBaum

3 hours ago, phil_m said:

No, the HX Stomp doesn't have the EXT AMP feature found on the other devices.

If you have an amp the has MIDI control, you may be able to do something, but it depends on how it's set up.

Hm, that's only the half truth.

Unfortunately the HX Stomp cannot currently send freely definable Program Change commands via MIDI like its big Brothers (Helix Floor, Helix LT). By default only the fixed PC command of the preset is sent, which is currently not changeable. This means that it is NOT possible to control other MIDI-enabled pedals or the like.

I hope that the next Update will add the Comand Center to the HX Stomp as well and give us the possibility to send Instant Midi CC and PC messages.

27 minutes ago, stekrae said:

Hm, that's only the half truth.

Unfortunately the HX Stomp cannot currently send freely definable Program Change commands via MIDI like its big Brothers (Helix Floor, Helix LT). By default only the fixed PC command of the preset is sent, which is currently not changeable. This means that it is NOT possible to control other MIDI-enabled pedals or the like.

I hope that the next Update will add the Comand Center to the HX Stomp as well and give us the possibility to send Instant Midi CC and PC messages.

It’s not a half truth... That’s why I said it depends how it’s set up. Some amps have a “learn” function that enables them to associate what channel to change to whenever they receive a particular MIDI PC message. That’s the scenario I was thinking of. Also, if all you want to do is have presets change together in a parallel fashion, it is possible to use the Stomp as a rudimentary control.

Generally speaking, though, the Stomp was designed to be controlled by MIDI, not be a controller itself.

3 minutes ago, phil_m said:

It’s not a half truth... That’s why I said it depends how it’s set up. Some amps have a “learn” function that enables them to associate what channel to change to whenever they receive a particular MIDI PC message. That’s the scenario I was thinking of. Also, if all you want to do is have presets change together in a parallel fashion, it is possible to use the Stomp as a rudimentary control.

Generally speaking, though, the Stomp was designed to be controlled by MIDI, not be a controller itself.

The HX Stomp sends fixed PC commands (see manual page 48: e.g. Preset 16B sends PC 061). Even if I could set channel A on an amp to PC 061, channel A would always only be called with preset 16B.

How do you think a control should work with this restriction? Name me an amp that can do that?!

And in my humble opinion it is a limitation and not the design of the HX Stomp. The MIDI interface is there. Thus it is a pure software adjustment.

As a Powercab Plus owner I even expect the HX Stomp to have the same MIDI functionality and therefore a Comand Center as the Helix Floor or Helix LT. How else can you control the Powercab Plus?

15 minutes ago, stekrae said:

The HX Stomp sends fixed PC commands (see manual page 48: e.g. Preset 16B sends PC 061). Even if I could set channel A on an amp to PC 061, channel A would always only be called with preset 16B.

How do you think a control should work with this restriction? Name me an amp that can do that?!

And in my humble opinion it is a limitation and not the design of the HX Stomp. The MIDI interface is there. Thus it is a pure software adjustment.

As a Powercab Plus owner I even expect the HX Stomp to have the same MIDI functionality and therefore a Comand Center as the Helix Floor or Helix LT. How else can you control the Powercab Plus?

Cool down turbo.  You and Phil interpret this different, but it's not like he's out to flamboozle you or anything. He's just trying to be helpful.

The Stomp is what it is.  Future updates in this area wouldn't be unwelcome, but for now it's true it doesn't do what you want.

22 minutes ago, stekrae said:

The Marshall JVM410, for instance, has 128 preset slots, so you could recall a the preset on the amp that corresponds with the PC# associated with each Stomp preset you select. Something like the Voodoo Lab Control Switcher could also be used this. So rather than being able to select a specific preset when loading a preset on the Stomp, the one that corresponds to the PC message associated with that Stomp preset would always be loaded on the device(es) you're controlling. It's a very basic form of MIDI control that's not nearly as flexible, but it may be an option for some people. Basically, when you change presets on the Stomp, you'd always be changing presets on the other devices, too.

You could actually do this with the Powercab Plus and the Stomp. You almost have to think of the PC+ as a block that's part of the Stomp preset. It would always change presets when you change presets on the Stomp, but you could have a different speaker model or IR saved in each PC+ preset, and everything be changed in a parallel manner. This is the whole reason the Stomp sends any PC messages at all (not specifically for the PC+, but for the ability to have this sort of parallel preset change setup).

6 minutes ago, Kilrahi said:

Cool down turbo.  You and Phil interpret this different, but it's not like he's out to flamboozle you or anything. He's just trying to be helpful.

The Stomp is what it is.  Future updates in this area wouldn't be unwelcome, but for now it's true it doesn't do what you want. 

5 minutes ago, phil_m said:

The Marshall JVM410, for instance, has 128 preset slots, so you could recall a the preset on the amp that corresponds with the PC# associated with each Stomp preset you select. Something like the Voodoo Lab Control Switcher could also be used this. So rather than being able to select a specific preset when loading a preset on the Stomp, the one that corresponds to the PC message associated with that Stomp preset would always be loaded on the device(es) you're controlling. It's a very basic form of MIDI control that's not nearly as flexible, but it may be an option for some people. Basically, when you change presets on the Stomp, you'd always be changing presets on the other devices, too. 

First of all: I am cool and try to help as well. Primarily in relation to Stacey's question. No offense, Phil.

Channel switching of an amp only with the HX Stomp is generally NOT possible. In rare cases Phil is right. 

However, the example with the Marshall shows that this is also not useful. Because if I want to use the sound of Preset 001 on the Marshall with Preset 16B on the HX Stomp, I would also have to store it on Preset 061 on the Marshall. etc.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, writeroxie said:

Does anyone know if the Helix Stomp can output midi messages for each snapshot - to trigger a Voodoo Lab Midi Control Switcher? http://www.voodoolab.com/controlswitcher.htm 

I don't know the Voodoo Lab. 

The Helix Stomp sends one fixed Program Change command per preset and one fixed CC69 command per snapshot (see page 48 of the user manual). You should now see how the Voodoo Lab handles it.

My submitted idea to Line6 (see above) pleads for flexibly adjustable MIDI Parameters.

• 3 months later...
On 1/25/2019 at 12:18 PM, StaceyBaum said:

Hi there,

Just wondering if the HX Stomp can be set up to switch through the different channels on your amp.

I read you can with the Helix and Helix LT but found no information for the Stomp.

Anyone know?

Thanks

yeah i have a 5150iii el34 that i need to switch. i guess im SOL

• 2 weeks later...

If your amp uses a standard 1/4 inch TRS style switching you can use an external device with midi like the voodoo lab control switcher or similar device with midi to switch your amp channels. I use a decibel eleven loop expander and use one of the loops to change channels on my Mesa Mark V 25.

The 5150 already has midi, so you just set which channel you want per program change message. You don't need the advance CC messages. Just set per patch, the 5150 manual shows you how to set the amp channel via standard program change using midi learn on the amp.

You only need CC to bypass the effects loop via midi.

• 4 months later...

Hi all. I've just bought a Stomp after owning an HD500.  I have a Marshall JVM410 which has MIDI channel switching, which the amp can 'learn' by holding a button down on the amp. I was able to do this with the 500 without having to delve into MIDI stuff.  What I've read in this discussion suggests I could set up an amp channel MIDI change by preset with the Stomp.  I tend to stick with one channel for a song anyway so this could work for me.  So, can you gurus help confirm this for me? E.g. I have preset 1A with whatever FX I want, connect 2 midi cables, set my amp channel to what I want, push the learn button on the amp (as per procedure in the Marshall manual), and bob's my uncle.  I would need to use preset mode if I wanted to switch to a different amp channel (say clean on 1A and crunch on 1B). Is that how this could work?