Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Rack to Helix Control Ethercon Cable

genesound

I'm having great difficulty in getting aftermarket Ethercon cables to work reliably between the Helix Rack and the Helix Control.

The connection acts intermittent and power disconnects if I wiggle the cable, and often the Control never hooks up at all, however a genuine Line 6 Variax cable works fine. The cables test fine on a cable checker or on other audio gear. And this isn't just one cable, I've tried 4 different ones, either made by myself or other wiring professionals and they all exhibit the same bizarre behavior. (I've been a pro soundman for over 40 years and have made thousands of various kinds of cables, including network and digital audio cables).

Regular CAT 5 cables will also often not work between the Rack and Control. The only one that worked reliably was the stiff nasty one that shipped with the unit. Other standard CAT 5s might or might not work at all as well. 

The issue is I don't really need or want a 25' cable from the Rack to the Control when I'm setup in my house, 10 feet would be fine. It's a real PITA to have an extra 15' of cable to hide somewhere.

Any ideas?

On 1/25/2019 at 2:43 PM, genesound said:

I'm having great difficulty in getting aftermarket Ethercon cables to work reliably between the Helix Rack and the Helix Control.

The connection acts intermittent and power disconnects if I wiggle the cable, and often the Control never hooks up at all, however a genuine Line 6 Variax cable works fine. The cables test fine on a cable checker or on other audio gear. And this isn't just one cable, I've tried 4 different ones, either made by myself or other wiring professionals and they all exhibit the same bizarre behavior. (I've been a pro soundman for over 40 years and have made thousands of various kinds of cables, including network and digital audio cables).

Regular CAT 5 cables will also often not work between the Rack and Control. The only one that worked reliably was the stiff nasty one that shipped with the unit. Other standard CAT 5s might or might not work at all as well. 

The issue is I don't really need or want a 25' cable from the Rack to the Control when I'm setup in my house, 10 feet would be fine. It's a real PITA to have an extra 15' of cable to hide somewhere.

Any ideas?

I use these...https://www.be-electronics.com/product_p/ne8mc.htm

Work awesome...cheers

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Yes the aftermarket cables made with Neutrik connectors work fine for me on the bass to Helix, they just don't work from helix to control. The ones from Line6 work fine, but I don't always want a 25' cable. Go figure.

• Upvote 1

Not sure if this is the problem or not, but I was once told by Line 6 support that CAT6 & CAT7 (common in today's marketplace) is not recommended with Line 6 products... always use CAT5 or CAT5e when buying a 3rd party cable, or making one of your own. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...

I've been using the cat5 cable and made a 10' - 20' - 50' & a 75' using these connectors...https://www.be-electronics.com/product_p/ne8mc.htm

Work awesome...Spent $10 on 2 connectors to use with the 50 feet of cat5 I already had compared to spending $65 plus shipping on this...

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EtherShld50--pro-co-50-foot-shielded-cat-5e-ethercon-cable

As the1800935569_ShieldedCat5eEtherconCable-50foot.thumb.jpg.52b4e70c17178b6a5f95edbe4d2628d4.jpgy are they exact same NEUTRIK225489723_ShieldedCat5eEtherconCable(NEUTRIK)-50foot.jpg.4ea1287ba1aeaaf54d26052896ed421b.jpg brand supplied from Sweetwater