Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

IR Names Shortened in Helix?

scottwilliams

Hi - 

i got the Celestion pack of Suhr IRs... when i put them in helix, i can't see the full name in helix or in helix edit. 

for example the Suhr Badger V30 112 C Hi-Gn 421+121 Celestion shows up in the list, but only as Suhr Badger V30 112 C Hi-Gn.

the problem is there are 4 or 5 versions of this (different mic/room combos) and it makes it impossible to know which is which when adding to a patch.

I could shorten the name before importing, but it's nice to be able to refer to the original names.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

This is an unfortunate reality for now, and often a topic of conversation. You just have to settle on what information you must have and what format will still be intelligible to you next week. Don’t forget: when you export your IRs to back them up they will end up sorted alphabetically. So if you want everything to go back to the slot where it started you’ll have to give up precious characters to put the the slot number in the name, too.

Per the NAMM press release from Line 6 regarding firmware 2.80:

Improvements/Changes

Impulse Response blocks now display as many IR file name characters as will fit in the inspector header. In addition, the last several characters will be visible regardless of name length (as they're often the most important ones!)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, Zeratul25 said:

I can't make any sense of the Ownhammer player pack I bought from the Line6 store itself!

Hi Zeratul25,

Maybe it makes a little more sense when you consider that the Line 6 store is exactly that - a store front.

The responsibility for naming the IRs is down to the vendor, in your case - Ownhammer. You may like to post your comments to them for an answer and see what they have to say.

For the moment, simply edit the name to something more memorable that will fit the display. Remember - always work on a copy!

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Hey databommando, 

That doesn't answer my questions (which was supposed to quote the above post stating that firmware 2.80 was improving the situation by ensuring the final characters are displayed) about why on Firmware 2.83 those fixes don't appear to be present. Also, this is very much a dark ages of technology issue, which most systems solved in the 90s with scrolling names and other solutions. Even the proposed solution from that NAMM press release to include the last several characters instead of some of the characters in the middle would be an improvement.

Naming is a partial workaround at best, as it means I now lose the direct link between the original IRs and my new names. In fact, setting the title metadata to a display name but leaving the file name alone might be a better overall approach assuming the title metadata is still what's displayed if present on the HX Stomp. I'll have to try out these approaches when I get a chance, but it was very disappointing to load the IR pack onto it with HX edit, see everything load up, then get to my first band practice of the night and realize I couldn't differentiate any of the IRs by name.

2 hours ago, Zeratul25 said:

That doesn't answer my questions (which was supposed to quote the above post stating that firmware 2.80 was improving the situation by ensuring the final characters are displayed) about why on Firmware 2.83 those fixes don't appear to be present.

I think you will find there are several threads discussing this issue with Impulse Response file management and it will probably run and run. You are not the first to have issues.

Check this thread to see what I’m referring to.

https://line6.com/support/topic/54193-ir-position/?tab=comments#comment-324711

Oh, yeah - to quote a previous post just click on the word “Quote” below the post.

I did and it didn’t quote. Because it isn’t just click the quote button, it’s click the quote button then click the pop up with the quote in the bottom right to apply it to the post box. I’m kind of baffled how bad the software processes at line6 seem to be, as a professional software developer. 

But mainly, did the IR name filter fix from 2.80 announced at NAMM just not get released? That’s why I bumped this thread instead of all the others. And as a useless act of protest, since they don’t read these forms or the feature request site seemingly. There’s an emoji button on the wyswig but no emojis... so :shrug: