Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Garageband: Not getting any sound with my Helix

markb68

So I'm sure this has been covered on here before but I can't get any sound on Garageband whatsoever while using my Helix as an interface. I have selected the input on Garageband as Helix and output as built in output as I just want to hear my quiet recording through my Mac's internal speakers. I've also tried inputs 1-8 and the combination of input 1-2, 3-4 and 5-6.I've left my input and output settings on my Helix to Multi as recommended as well. I also downloaded the driver off this site. What am I missing? The USB cable is also plugged in and seems to interact with my Mac as HX Edit works without a hitch. I currently have the Mojave OS. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Mark

Sounds like it should be working, and I'm at a loss for what to suggest.

Don't take this the wrong way, but why are you monitoring with laptop speakers? It's just about the worst option possible. $10 earbuds would sound better. If volume is the issue, and you have any kind of decent headphones, set Helix as your output device, and monitor directly from there. The results will be infinitely better. 

I actually did try setting the output to Helix Audio and using headphones. I can hear myself play no problem when plugged into the headphones jack of the Helix. However, I still can't record. When I set Helix Audio as the output, I can hear the Garageband clicking through my headphones so it's obviously connected with GB. I just don't understand why I can't record anything.  

Seems like you're set right on the Helix side.  I think Garage band is Logic's little brother.  I use Logic, and there are multiple places to lose the signal from various input sources.  I'm betting that Garage Band is similar.  Very inefficiently, I relearn this every time I have to do it, rather than commit the signal flow to memory - so I can offer  couple of suggestions - are you getting signal on the channel but no output sound or nothing at all, are your channels armed for recording, are they routed to the proper output and is that output turned up -  those are the first ones I'd check from memory and have to hunt for the rest.  So - for you, try to trace the signal flow once it leaves the Helix.  If you do, I bet you'll find something turned down, routed unexpectedly, or just there for some seemingly random reason.  Sometimes default levels or settings are not what you expect, or you changed them at some time for another reason and forgot.  Talking from my experience here too.