Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Anyone Tried Switching From 10's To 11's When Upgrading From 1.9 To 2.0?

After reading a topic, "Putting 11's On Jtv 69" about going to heavier strings (10's to 11's), people thought that it improved the acoustic models but made the overall volume louder due to the increased downward tension on the piezo's.  Many feel that release 2.0 firmware improves the acoustic models, and most of the electric models, but has decreased outputs.  What if you do both.  Bump output up with 11's, and take it back with 2.0 while getting improved models.  Just an idea.

I would try it in a heartbeat, but unfortunately I went to 11's already at 1.9 for improved acoustic sounds.  I play in a church band and I save a different preset for each song with the HD500, so I don't want to load 2.0 and throw everything off at this point.  And no, I don't want to switch to 2.0 and 12's (ouch).  11's were not bad to get used to after 10's.  Someday I'll play with string volumes in Workbench.

I did this - nearly at the same time flash to 2.0 first and then string change.

When I first flashed to 2.0 the Acoustics increased in volume - and I mean massively, all my acoustic patches completely useless and over-compressed due to the increase in volume - completely ruined one rehearsal.  But the other guitars didn't appear to be noticeably different.  I had to play with the global string volumes to get a sensible acoustic sound back again, but I didn't work this out for a rather frustrating few days.  Once I had the acoustics so that they didn't appear really compressed the electrics were a little quiet, but the lower volume isn't that much of a problem as I just boost it on the FRFR.

Since then I changed to 11s and I reflashed as per the Line 6 maintenance process (backup customised patches, apply 2.0 overwriting patches, apply 2.0 again overwriting patches, restore customised patched).  I then balanced the Global String Volumes again and somehow it was different this time - mine are now also around -5 to -7 db (lower on the bass strings).  Much happier with it all now - it is a little bit quieter than it was, and had to lower the mag pickups slightly to get them balanced with the models, but I have adjusted the HD500 patches to match.

What I don't understand is why apply a firmware update doesn't always stick properly and why it should improve things to apply it again, but it does.

I did this - nearly at the same time flash to 2.0 first and then string change.

When I first flashed to 2.0 the Acoustics increased in volume - and I mean massively, all my acoustic patches completely useless and over-compressed due to the increase in volume - completely ruined one rehearsal.  But the other guitars didn't appear to be noticeably different.  I had to play with the global string volumes to get a sensible acoustic sound back again, but I didn't work this out for a rather frustrating few days.  Once I had the acoustics so that they didn't appear really compressed the electrics were a little quiet, but the lower volume isn't that much of a problem as I just boost it on the FRFR.

Since then I changed to 11s and I reflashed as per the Line 6 maintenance process (backup customised patches, apply 2.0 overwriting patches, apply 2.0 again overwriting patches, restore customised patched).  I then balanced the Global String Volumes again and somehow it was different this time - mine are now also around -5 to -7 db (lower on the bass strings).  Much happier with it all now - it is a little bit quieter than it was, and had to lower the mag pickups slightly to get them balanced with the models, but I have adjusted the HD500 patches to match.

What I don't understand is why apply a firmware update doesn't always stick properly and why it should improve things to apply it again, but it does.

I also changed over to 11's and am using the 2.0 models. I reduced string volumes globally (was having a resonance issue on "D" string), and reduced volume on some electric models to balance them with the others. I'm generally happy with the results - more balanced, but now the mag pickups are much louder than the models. I will have to adjust the mags down to compensate.

I made the change to 11's more for the feel & tone when using acoustic models, but I think in general they give you better tone on everything. For me this was a separate issue from the update to 2.0 models.

• 3 weeks later...

hi

i also change to 11's and to cobalt strings by ernie ball

holly makarony, they sound so much better compare to my other ones

how they response to every twist, bend, vibrato and different plectrum and of cores picking is excellent 

its howling wolfs and angels coming out of my guitar

strings do make a difference

even g string sound good

paulsky

ps

off cores you have to tweak your guitar and equipment ….

its a new guitar