Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Ambulance Noise at high gains

drlykos

I just purchased the Line6 Helix HX effects pedalboard and i have noted that whenever high gain effects are selected (happens in almost all the FUZZ effects), there is a high volume, ambulance type of noise (coming and going) in the tempo that the tap led is blinking. If you lower the gain a lot, (really a lot) the noise goes away but the effect is useless at such low gain/volume.

anyone with similar symptoms?

I

1 hour ago, drlykos said:

I just purchased the Line6 Helix HX effects pedalboard and i have noted that whenever high gain effects are selected (happens in almost all the FUZZ effects), there is a high volume, ambulance type of noise (coming and going) in the tempo that the tap led is blinking. If you lower the gain a lot, (really a lot) the noise goes away but the effect is useless at such low gain/volume.

anyone with similar symptoms?

I sympathize with your plight, and unfortunately I can't offer anything in the way of a solution...but I'm reasonably certain that you're the first one to show up on the forum saying "My HX sounds like an ambulance"...;)

Seriously though, if it's making bizarre, tempo-dependent noises, then its time for a support ticket...

The one fuzz model, the Industrial Fuzz, which is based on the Z-Vex Fuzz Factory, has an oscillator that can be turned on and off, and I guess you could call the sounds you get from it ambulance-like. But it doesn't sync to the tap tempo... So I'm not sure. What do you have the HX Effects connected to?

Whatever effect i use with quite high gain, i hear in the background an oscilating sound that is synced with the current tempo. If i tap quickly the oscilation period decreases and so on. I tried the pedal even on its own for no good. Very annoying really guys.. 

So this might not apply as I had something similar on my helix(but not HX effects)  - do you have any pedals selected as stereo versions but everything is mono as far as inputs and outputs? Had an issue where I selected a stereo tubescreamer(not the real name, obviously >.>) instead of mono on accident once and it caused everything to pan L/R and sum back and basically sounded like a constant modulation/oscillation effect. It's like a ping-pong delay with a super short delay time, but you hear it and it drives you crazy lol.

Might not be your issue, but also might help someone else if they've done the same thing.

On 1/30/2019 at 12:53 PM, drlykos said:

Whatever effect i use with quite high gain, i hear in the background an oscilating sound that is synced with the current tempo. If i tap quickly the oscilation period decreases and so on. I tried the pedal even on its own for no good. Very annoying really guys.. 

Any other time based effects in your chain that are turned on?

On 1/31/2019 at 6:33 PM, DarthSteve said:

So this might not apply as I had something similar on my helix(but not HX effects)  - do you have any pedals selected as stereo versions but everything is mono as far as inputs and outputs? Had an issue where I selected a stereo tubescreamer(not the real name, obviously >.>) instead of mono on accident once and it caused everything to pan L/R and sum back and basically sounded like a constant modulation/oscillation effect. It's like a ping-pong delay with a super short delay time, but you hear it and it drives you crazy lol.

Might not be your issue, but also might help someone else if they've done the same thing.

Not really this issue, no stereo effects at all..

On 2/1/2019 at 5:04 PM, jbuhajla said:

Any other time based effects in your chain that are turned on?

No other effects in the chain, see my video below

On 2/1/2019 at 7:11 PM, Kilrahi said:

It might help if you shared a preset . . .

There will be nothing new to see in the preset, it is an empty chain with one FUZZ each time.

But i have just recorded a video for you to see, please check below, worth some notice. Any ideas more than welcome!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sxn7lPmy3ZzxVNdpAAfylAEaWMxGSZny/view?usp=sharing

This probably goes without saying, but I took my HX Stomp and put that effect alone in the signal chain, and cranked everything. Tapping on the tap/tempo button had no impact and I couldn't hear any type of ambulance noise. Something here seems way bonkers.

Two units in a row with anomalous issues, I think we're seeing the common denominator here, lol. From the video that sounds like electronic interference coming through the input and being amplified by the fuzz. The timing to the tap tempo is odd, but if its a power issue the light flashing could be part of the problem.  No real options besides testing it on another electrical system with totally different guitar and output device, a support ticket, or a return.

On 2/5/2019 at 10:04 PM, gunpointmetal said:

Two units in a row with anomalous issues, I think we're seeing the common denominator here, lol. From the video that sounds like electronic interference coming through the input and being amplified by the fuzz. The timing to the tap tempo is odd, but if its a power issue the light flashing could be part of the problem.  No real options besides testing it on another electrical system with totally different guitar and output device, a support ticket, or a return.

I have tested the system in the rehearsal studio that we use with my band. Same results, same noise. I have not raised a ticket yet as i need to talk with shop that i got it first in case of direct replacement.

Cannot emphasize more my frustration over Line6 guys.. really..

14 minutes ago, drlykos said:

I have tested the system in the rehearsal studio that we use with my band. Same results, same noise. I have not raised a ticket yet as i need to talk with shop that i got it first in case of direct replacement.

Cannot emphasize more my frustration over Line6 guys.. really..

Just return it if you can and get a different one. It's not an inherent problem in the device or other people would have the issue. Manufactured electronics have issues occasionally. 

On 2/2/2019 at 11:48 AM, drlykos said:

There will be nothing new to see in the preset, it is an empty chain with one FUZZ each time.

But i have just recorded a video for you to see, please check below, worth some notice. Any ideas more than welcome!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sxn7lPmy3ZzxVNdpAAfylAEaWMxGSZny/view?usp=sharing

From this video, I'm having a hard time hearing anything that comes near matching your description. I hear some extraneous background noise that does sound like it's oscillating. But when you say "ambulance noise", I was thinking of something loud and, well, siren like... I'm thinking that this may have something to do with your setup than the HX Effects itself. Can you provide some more details? How are you powering the HX Effects? What amp are you plugged into? Do you have any other pedals in your chain?

8 minutes ago, phil_m said:

From this video, I'm having a hard time hearing anything that comes near matching your description. I hear some extraneous background noise that does sound like it's oscillating. But when you say "ambulance noise", I was thinking of something loud and, well, siren like... I'm thinking that this may have something to do with your setup than the HX Effects itself. Can you provide some more details? How are you powering the HX Effects? What amp are you plugged into? Do you have any other pedals in your chain?

As mentioned many times above, the noise is still (and believe me it is quite loud) present even connecting the pedal alone on an amplifier (have tried several amps). Powering is through the provided power supply unit. So nothing more than stock options and nothing unusual. Any ideas of how this might be related to my setup?

50 minutes ago, drlykos said:

As mentioned many times above, the noise is still (and believe me it is quite loud) present even connecting the pedal alone on an amplifier (have tried several amps). Powering is through the provided power supply unit. So nothing more than stock options and nothing unusual. Any ideas of how this might be related to my setup?

In that case, it might just be some sort of electrical defect. Well, I'd try doing a reset first - hold down FS 7&8 while powering up - and see if that makes any difference.

Beyond that, getting a replacement is probably the way to go.