Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Next version of Helix

chasingMango

This is supposed to be a banner year for the Helix. I would say we are at or near the peak of the Helix's curve but I could very easily be wrong. And one thing Line 6 will NEVER do is tell you when the next version of their product is coming out until it comes out. That's not how they do things. So any attempts at predicting this (like mine) are very much just a guess.

12 hours ago, varialfaceplant said:

I'm considering purchasing a Helix, but considering its been out for a few years, thinking maybe I should hold out for whenever the next version might be.  Any idea on when that might be?

Just keep in mind, these suckers aren't like annual releases with smartphones, or even PCs.

To me the big question is does it fit your needs now AND/OR do you need something like the Helix now.

If you need something like it now . . . why wait?  It does exactly what you want.

• Like 1

I dropped a bundle on a Nord Electro 5 a year or so ago and a few weeks later they released the Electro 6 but I don’t regret not waiting. The instrument is of superb quality and sounds absolutely wonderful. That’s also the way that I feel about my Helix floor .... used it for the first time at a rehearsal this week and its performance was stellar. If a new Helix came out next week I most certainly wouldn’t regret having the first version. I’ll be using my Helix for many years, probably until the Helix 8 comes out. 

Edit: What Kilrahi said.

44 minutes ago, Pat6969 said:

I think there's a ton left to do within the Helix platform, they just finished Helix Core. If I had to guess, I'd say 4-5 years minimum but I'm nobody.

And they'll probably keep selling them even longer than that...hell, the 500X is still on the shelves, and that hasn't had an update in years. Once they've stopped spending money on development, every unit they sell is gravy. Why quit if there's still demand? 

• Upvote 1

What does it matter?  The only reason to introduce a new Helix platform would be if there were more extensive capabilities hardware wise than what's there is now.  If that's the case you can expect it will have a much higher price as well.  And would you honestly want to be one of the first to jump into a new,, untested platform, or would you wait and see how well it performs and is accepted?

Given they're just now beginning to get the Helix core consistent between all the platforms it would seem to me to be counter-productive to introduce a whole new platform and sabotage the existing platform just as it's ready to really grow as a consistent and easily managed set of hardware and software offerings.

16 hours ago, varialfaceplant said:

I'm considering purchasing a Helix, but considering its been out for a few years, thinking maybe I should hold out for whenever the next version might be.  Any idea on when that might be?

The nice thing about the Helix is that new versions don't need new hardware, and they don't cost anything! The hardware and UI is so well designed the updates are all in the software, not hard coded to the hardware. The original Helix to hit the stores in 2015 bares little resemblance to the version we are using now (currently 2.7/2.71). Two major updates are already being talked about with great anticipation (2.8 and 3.0) and the life cycle is likely continue for many years. 

Just my 2 cents.

• Upvote 3